Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1889 1890 [1891] 1892 1893 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068179 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28350 on: July 31, 2016, 06:31:30 am »

I don't know, it still looks pretty CG to me, and it really frustrates me that I can't describe why. It is incredibly detailed, the light falls on most of the things like it should, but it still has that "CG look" that I'm not even sure exists.

Perfectly smooth faces, not quite enough contrast on things that really should have clean sharp lines, details that look textured on not modeled, and awkward movement animation - worse than usual for high-quality CG, I'd say. It's almost always the biggest tell on good CG, though - animating people's little movements is hard as hell. Unless you have good motion capture stuff, which doesn't look like te case here.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28351 on: July 31, 2016, 11:45:48 am »

Look at the shot in this one: https://youtu.be/43WgTJGjU98?t=19 while his brother is cooking? The roads here: https://youtu.be/43WgTJGjU98?t=102 while it pans out? Yeah, some of the textures aren't as hard to tell, but the backgrounds and stuff have a level of gritty noise and such that is far too rare in most CG. Your eye might like the look of clean polished surfaces, but the real world isn't clean and polished all the time, smudges, dust, flyspecks, they go a long way towards tricking your eye into believing something is real. It's also a perfect representation of the Gantz visual style, with the generally ordinary looking background settings and bodysuited people fighting monstarz with silly weaponry.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28352 on: July 31, 2016, 04:38:41 pm »

Just watched My Hero Academy.

It's not really groundbreaking, but it's actually pretty fun.

I really love All Might as a character.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28353 on: July 31, 2016, 05:16:33 pm »

I don't exactly get food wars at times.

Let me ignore the ACTUAL bastardry the villain does (challenges people for their tools as a way to demoralize them). As that is oddly secondary.

The villain basically learns about his target to a degree and GUESSES exactly what they are going to make and how they are going to make it.

Then... He makes that exact dish... but does it better. Mostly as a way to avoid losing due to preference.

But uhhh... he is still KIND OF better then you... I don't know why characters keep overlooking that fact. He only won because he is just flat out better than you. If he didn't "cheat" he probably would win anyway if he trounced you so thoroughly, as his tactics are just his method to avoid "I like pork more then steak" situation.

---

Then again it comes with the "Hero / Villain" Double standard. I bet if a hero cooked the exact same dish by predicting the villain would do it... That would be "Strategy"

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28354 on: July 31, 2016, 06:08:12 pm »

while I normally detest the Cute Girl Exhibitionism genre that makes up so much of the tripe of anime

Wha? Even Bikini Warriors?
Honestly, a show that was about actual exhibitionists could be a fun thing.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28355 on: July 31, 2016, 06:50:56 pm »

Well, Kill la Kill kinda fits that bill partially, as does Valkyrie Drive?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28356 on: July 31, 2016, 07:43:39 pm »

I don't exactly get food wars at times.

Let me ignore the ACTUAL bastardry the villain does (challenges people for their tools as a way to demoralize them). As that is oddly secondary.

The villain basically learns about his target to a degree and GUESSES exactly what they are going to make and how they are going to make it.

Then... He makes that exact dish... but does it better. Mostly as a way to avoid losing due to preference.

But uhhh... he is still KIND OF better then you... I don't know why characters keep overlooking that fact. He only won because he is just flat out better than you. If he didn't "cheat" he probably would win anyway if he trounced you so thoroughly, as his tactics are just his method to avoid "I like pork more then steak" situation.

---

Then again it comes with the "Hero / Villain" Double standard. I bet if a hero cooked the exact same dish by predicting the villain would do it... That would be "Strategy"

The idea of a villain is very odd in the show anyway, as all the characters are in a contest that pits their skill in doing something purely beneficial.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28357 on: July 31, 2016, 08:38:21 pm »

What if the villain is secretly trying to get people hooked on their cooking, bit by bit begin slipping in unhealthy ingredients, start fucking up their cholesterol counts, bing bang boom, 30 years later half of them are dead.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28358 on: July 31, 2016, 08:41:58 pm »

It's obviously Dad who's the villian
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28359 on: July 31, 2016, 08:48:16 pm »

Well I gotta ask then, who was phone?

Oh, oh wait, what do you think I'm stupid? That's not my dad! That's a cellphone!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28360 on: August 01, 2016, 03:34:22 am »

What if the villain is secretly trying to get people hooked on their cooking, bit by bit begin slipping in unhealthy ingredients, start fucking up their cholesterol counts, bing bang boom, 30 years later half of them are dead.

You haven't watched Master Cooking Boy.

Where not once but TWICE... did a villain put addictive drugs into their food (Once was Opium another was drug mushrooms). The second time was... to admit was pretty graphic given it is a kids show.

Though that show is WONDERFUL!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28361 on: August 01, 2016, 04:51:01 am »

I gave up trying to understand what counts as a kid's show after seeing people get blown in half in DBZ
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28362 on: August 01, 2016, 04:52:53 am »

I gave up trying to understand what counts as a kid's show after seeing people get blown in half in DBZ

Japan has a much lower standards when it comes to what is and isn't allowed in Children's programming.

The BEST example of this is always going to be Magic Pengel which was censored in the Western Release. Where someone is shot dead and lies there in a pool of their own blood.

Then again... there is also that episode of Pokémon where James feels up his giant boobs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28363 on: August 01, 2016, 07:16:55 am »

Shonen doesn't really mean "for kids". The demographic is defined as up to 18 for Shonen, so its core audience is highschoolers. Part of the dissonance is because of the Western Animation Age Ghetto, where companies license what is clearly stuff aimed at mid-teens then turn it into kid's shows, because they believe cartoons are only for kids under 12.

Actual kid's stuff in Japan (aimed at ages up to 12) is Super Sentai (Power Rangers) or Doraemon etc etc.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:24:27 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28364 on: August 01, 2016, 07:23:11 am »

DBZ was aired along with other kid's cartoons in New Zealand, which is when I watched it
Pages: 1 ... 1889 1890 [1891] 1892 1893 ... 2193