Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1877 1878 [1879] 1880 1881 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3069948 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28170 on: July 15, 2016, 05:49:47 am »

Still really liked it, one of my fondest but also saddest and loneliest memories is staying up late at night, pressed up against the tv in my bedroom with the volume turned down as low as it can be to still be audible while not attracting my Mom's attention, staying up late to watch these mystical foreign cartoons, and then being badly sleep deprived for my next day of school in the morning.

Are you actually me? I watched my first anime under almost identical circumstances.

Although I was watching Bleach, a show that I despise nowadays, so those days aren't remembered as fondly for me. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28171 on: July 15, 2016, 07:28:43 am »

Squidbillies is goddamn amazing, how such a stupid show manages to be so clever and then immediately afterwards turn unbelievably dumb always amazes me.

"For the next 10 years, Rusty was raised by wolves... terribly."
"When I die, Russell, I want you to bury me on this hill, underneath that shade tree, with this hang glider... That way when zombie times comes, I'll be able to attack from above."
"You'll never get away with this!" 'Oh yeah we will.' "...dammit, they will!"

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28172 on: July 15, 2016, 07:35:43 am »

Never liked cowboy Bebop, in fact I never watched more than the first episode.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #28173 on: July 15, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »

Never liked cowboy Bebop-
Why?

Still really liked it, one of my fondest but also saddest and loneliest memories is staying up late at night, pressed up against the tv in my bedroom with the volume turned down as low as it can be to still be audible while not attracting my Mom's attention, staying up late to watch these mystical foreign cartoons, and then being badly sleep deprived for my next day of school in the morning.

Are you actually me? I watched my first anime under almost identical circumstances.
Are we me or are we each other?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:12:19 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #28174 on: July 15, 2016, 12:11:22 pm »

DP.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28175 on: July 15, 2016, 06:28:27 pm »

Why?

If his sample size was exactly one episode then there's only so much anyone can draw from that. Remember that in episode 1 they have only introduced 2 out of the eventual crew of 5 on the ship, so the character dynamics hadn't been fleshed out whatsoever. Also, for context, it would be interesting if you could list a few of your top animes, Antioch. Perhaps what you like is just way different to Cowboy Beebop in the first place?

~~~

I'm starting to look over the new season.

Bananya is being simulcast and is just as cat-banana-ish as expected. It lacks on the narrative front however as of episode one (where Nyanpire was better), but it's only episode 1 and they haven't introduced any other cat-bananas to interact with yet. It would be a shame if this totally sucks because the premise is way too cute.

There are some good slice of life / shoujo series this season.

Orange is a slice of life / romance drama with a time travel twist. A couple of comic relief side characters in the ensemble but overall it has a straight drama feeling. Could be a bit duill if you want romcom antics, but it will probably ramp up the feels instead.

Hatsukoi Monster is a romcom with emphasis on the cute comedy side of things. So far the premise had me laughing out loud. Lots of funny little moments, so the opposite of Orange. Just go in blind, the premise is completely idiotic and comes out of left-field.

Amaama to Inazuma looks like a charming slice of life about a single dad and daughter. Lots of cute and some teary moments.

New Game is disappointing however. Lots of fanservice, very little detail so far about how video game development actually works. January's Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu was better in comparision - it was about a team making a moe highschool dating sim, and the anime itself resembles the genre of the game they are making: So it's a lighthearted pile of harem cliches, but it has a pretty good excuse for being like that. And Shoujo-Tachi did actually do a good job of focusing on the game-making processes, different roles and types of pitfalls that accompany game development in general.

The creators of New Game seem to have gotten the "cute girls making games" thing, but they've completely missed the point of the self-referential nature of similar shows like Shoujo-tachi, and Shirobako (the moe anime about how moe anime is made). New Game's only "thing" seems to be "wouldn't it be cute if games companies were staffed entirely by lolis, oh and while we're at it, why not make them sexy lolis with lesbian undertones".

There are a few more I have to check out yet, including Amanchu! I have high hopes for this one. It's from the same mangaka as Aria, with Junichi Satou directing (Aria, Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu, etc). With this pedigree and the director's track record with similar shows I can't see them messing this up.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:32:53 pm by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28176 on: July 15, 2016, 08:04:31 pm »

Why?

If his sample size was exactly one episode then there's only so much anyone can draw from that. Remember that in episode 1 they have only introduced 2 out of the eventual crew of 5 on the ship, so the character dynamics hadn't been fleshed out whatsoever. Also, for context, it would be interesting if you could list a few of your top animes, Antioch. Perhaps what you like is just way different to Cowboy Beebop in the first place?
To be fair, you need to watch a third of the series before they have the whole crew together (and I'm not more specific than that because I don't want to spoil one of the best characters in the show).  At least 3-4 episodes is probably a good start for four of the crew, though.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28177 on: July 15, 2016, 10:11:45 pm »

i-
i really like it so far if that's worth anything ;-;

Also, if anyone here likes visual novels, go check out muv-luv on steam. It is... Certainly something. Watch the trailer.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28178 on: July 15, 2016, 10:14:11 pm »

In other news, I'm looking forward to seeing how the dub of One Punch Man turned out tomorrow, as a long (loooooooong) time fan of the series (started "reading" the webcomic back around chapter 67 or so, though I don't read japanese for crap, didn't find a translation until after Murata started doing his gorgeous version of it, and was right that the anime would be awesome!) I look forward to a second season, but [as] having the english version will help tide me over. So far I like the voice they have for Saitama.

Oh, also been watching GuP with the missus after seeing it mentioned in here, really fun series, we just watched the Sherman battle conclusion, both of us love the mix of cute little japanese girl voices, and then... BAKOOSH! Blasting through the speakers periodically.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28179 on: July 16, 2016, 12:48:24 am »

Cowboy Bebop is mostly episodic with some connectivity, and this means the episodes can be hit or miss, at least in my experience. Some of them really didn't do anything for me.

It was the same way with Samurai Champloo, but I liked that one even less. In general, I don't seem to like the style of humor the director of those series seems to be into.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28180 on: July 16, 2016, 01:13:21 am »

In other news, I'm looking forward to seeing how the dub of One Punch Man turned out tomorrow, as a long (loooooooong) time fan of the series (started "reading" the webcomic back around chapter 67 or so, though I don't read japanese for crap, didn't find a translation until after Murata started doing his gorgeous version of it, and was right that the anime would be awesome!) I look forward to a second season, but [as] having the english version will help tide me over. So far I like the voice they have for Saitama.
We also have Mob Psycho 100 this season, which is by the same guy, and has a similar premise.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28181 on: July 16, 2016, 01:19:58 am »

As far as GuP goes, Haifuri (High School Fleet) is the most similar other show, in terms of premise, execution and fanservice levels.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28182 on: July 16, 2016, 03:57:06 am »

The little details on the tanks were pretty nice service, yeah, I'm more up on various planes, but I dug them playing with stuff like throwing treads, incline issues, and the armor disparity.
We also have Mob Psycho 100 this season, which is by the same guy, and has a similar premise.
Never saw a translation of it to read but natch I will check it out too.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28183 on: July 16, 2016, 04:05:55 am »

Just caught the start of season 2 of Binan koukou chikyuu bouei-bu. For those unaware, it's a straight-up ultra-girly magical girl show (Sailor Moon / Pretty Cure type). But with dudes instead of girls. Basically the only real difference between how this looks compared to Sailor Moon is that they wear shorts instead of skirts.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:07:45 am by Reelya »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28184 on: July 16, 2016, 04:54:26 am »

So in English its Gaylor Moon? :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 1877 1878 [1879] 1880 1881 ... 2193