Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3069932 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28155 on: July 13, 2016, 11:58:44 pm »

That's more of a skill thing though, when the studio doesn't have anyone particularly good at CGI on their team.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #28156 on: July 14, 2016, 12:02:12 am »

I watched RWBY Volume 3. fuck, dude
Indeed. Volume 4 got a trailer, so not too long until the next one.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28157 on: July 14, 2016, 12:16:53 am »

I watched RWBY Volume 3. fuck, dude
Indeed. Volume 4 got a trailer, so not too long until the next one.
October 22nd.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28158 on: July 14, 2016, 01:03:36 am »

Compared to traditional animation, CGI costs basically nothing, so yeah, there's no excuse for Beserk's crappiness.

Yes but CGI... at least... "inexpensive" CGI looks bad...

Well ok it isn't that things look bad... it is that things... move bad.

Lets just say where people proclaim about anime's ohh so subtle use of CGI that fits seamlessly in the animation... I see REALLY awkward movements and oddly textured and shadowed characters.
Yeah, the movements in Berserk especially are really stiff and puppet like at times, much less for something made in 2016.

Comparing a middle age European style setting to outerspace robot haremland might be odd... but wait, KoS does swordfights!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then you see the characters moving in Berserk.

Wut?

I mean, when I'm talking about accuracy I'm not saying it has to be quite as good as KoS:

...but damn! Even the little details that are changed (Yuhata's mole is moved a bit) don't actually alter the look of the character, without seeing them side by side you wouldn't notice it, I didn't until just now, but completely missing things like facial structure or skin tone?

Bonus Izana, though notice the face she makes in the second one? Yeah, familiar visual gag for the manga readers.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #28159 on: July 14, 2016, 09:28:34 am »

Eugh, that looks like it was made by an amateur in MMD
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28160 on: July 14, 2016, 12:18:10 pm »

I have found that most anime are just promo for manga. They don't finish the series. Because they want you to buy the manga

Wait a minute... Is this true?

I always thought the reason why most animes don't finish their series was because they have a shotgun approach to creating series and fire them all against the wall and see which ones stick.

Or... is it both?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28161 on: July 14, 2016, 01:08:12 pm »

Eh, the problem is it doesn't take as many episodes to cover a plot arc as it does chapters, I think, hence fillers and such. Then when you catch up and end up needing an entire season of filler or more it's harder and harder to find support for keeping the series going.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28162 on: July 14, 2016, 01:45:42 pm »

I have found that most anime are just promo for manga. They don't finish the series. Because they want you to buy the manga

Wait a minute... Is this true?

I always thought the reason why most animes don't finish their series was because they have a shotgun approach to creating series and fire them all against the wall and see which ones stick.

Or... is it both?
It's true from what I've heard. That's why for example The Devil is a Part Timer hasn't gotten a second season despite its popularity, because the LN is already finished and so its seen as if there isn't a need for it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:47:13 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28163 on: July 14, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »

That's probably why they have those "<Series X> project group" things on a lot of animes. That project group includes all the stakeholders in the franchise, across multimedia types, merch etc, and they're all providing funding and having input into how the show goes. As new seasons are planned, that changes how the different stake-holders are going to benefit, so they alter their funding commitments as it goes.

It's not much different from regular TV shows and advertising. There's just no way that many of the classic TV shows could have been made at all if they required viewers to insert nickels into the TV to watch them. People would not be willing to directly fund enough money for the shows they want to watch, and TV would have remained as a medium which basically just broadcasts simple stage acts and the like.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:26:29 pm by Reelya »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28164 on: July 14, 2016, 08:31:55 pm »

-Berserk CGI Snip-

Benefit Of The Doubt Mode Engaged:

It's possible that they were going for a choppy style that emulated some of the artifacts of frame-based animation, rather than smoothly tweening and keyframing everything like most CGI does. I don't really like the look, but it could be an intentional artistic decision instead of just laziness?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28165 on: July 14, 2016, 10:10:46 pm »

-Berserk CGI Snip-

Benefit Of The Doubt Mode Engaged:

It's possible that they were going for a choppy style that emulated some of the artifacts of frame-based animation, rather than smoothly tweening and keyframing everything like most CGI does. I don't really like the look, but it could be an intentional artistic decision instead of just laziness?
Given the laziness in basic character proportions/features in numerous cases, it's just a let-down all around.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28166 on: July 14, 2016, 11:39:15 pm »

I am about to sit down and properly watch Cowboy Bebop, alongside good ol' Gurren Lagann. I expect great things from what I have heard.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28167 on: July 15, 2016, 03:36:49 am »

I am about to sit down and properly watch Cowboy Bebop, alongside good ol' Gurren Lagann. I expect great things from what I have heard.

Never expect anything, just experience it for what it is.

People hammered me all my life about how amazing Cowboy Bebop was and how it's the greatest anime ever made, and instead of making me jump on board the hype train to whoop out the windows alongside them, I ended up finding it okay.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28168 on: July 15, 2016, 04:23:25 am »

People hammered me all my life about how amazing Cowboy Bebop was and how it's the greatest anime ever made, and instead of making me jump on board the hype train to whoop out the windows alongside them, I ended up finding it okay.
I didn't like it that much
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28169 on: July 15, 2016, 05:05:38 am »

I only ever watched it on Adult Swim, with all the episodes out of order and frequently the time slots being rearranged, dropped, added again, repeated, and dropped again for the cartoon about Hillbilly Squids or some shit. Still really liked it, one of my fondest but also saddest and loneliest memories is staying up late at night, pressed up against the tv in my bedroom with the volume turned down as low as it can be to still be audible while not attracting my Mom's attention, staying up late to watch these mystical foreign cartoons, and then being badly sleep deprived for my next day of school in the morning.
Pages: 1 ... 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 ... 2193