Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1814 1815 [1816] 1817 1818 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065261 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27225 on: April 23, 2016, 11:50:13 pm »

Klk is easy to explain, its an action show with a love of max-boldness red text. Its much harder to explain the why of its action without some knowledge of anime, however.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:54:02 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27226 on: April 24, 2016, 01:01:55 am »

fanservice
People wearing revealing outfits isn't inherently fanservice. For that matter, fanservice isn't inherently in revealing outfits (the limbo scene in Musaigen no Phantom, for example) even if you limit the term to its most common usage as sexual fanservice. But KlK had revealing outfits that weren't sexualized or emphasized in a "fan-service" way and were always relevant to the plot (or, occasionally, humor particularly with Aikuro). The sexual content, too, wasn't really erotic so much as incredibly fucking unsettling, and it was clearly meant to be. When a show puts incestuous rape into it, you're supposed to respond by seeing it as horrible, rather than going "clearly they intend me to masturbate to this".

It's incredibly difficult to impart the point that the show's actually decent to someone that's not already pretty well founded in anime, though.
Obviously communication requires some common ground in general, but I don't think it's hard to apply general literature and media descriptors here. You can easily say that it's a story which explores themes of adolescences and relationships – both friend and family – from an entirely female perspective, and makes a lot of references to Japanese history. It also really heavily deals with body image, and clothes are the major driving aspect of the plot. It does all this in a really graphically stylized and over the top way making use of action and humor and not trying at all to be realistic, and loosely follows the hero's journey framework. If you're telling people "it's good because they have skimpy outfits and big red letters and fighting" I think that means that you don't have a solid intellectual grasp on what is actually good about it, not that understanding the strengths of it require a certain background.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27227 on: April 24, 2016, 10:46:51 am »

I've finished the first NGE. It was wierd and squarely in batshit county by the last several episodes (I really liked how they introduce a character only to get him killed next episode and only Shinji cared about him because the dude talked to him more than five minutes total). The ending was, uh, I'm not sure, they were building up to something, it was even somewhat interesting and cool tbh, but they just kinda didn't go there? Because the kid getting a lesson was more important? Or something? I'm not sure really.

Hopefully the rest of the stuff makes a tad more sense, but I'm not too optimistic.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #27228 on: April 24, 2016, 10:53:56 am »

They were literally out of animation budget by the last few episodes, if that clears anything up.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27229 on: April 24, 2016, 10:55:15 am »

Didn't Hideaki Anno also just have a complete nervous breakdown right around that point in development?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27230 on: April 24, 2016, 11:01:16 am »

It doesn't, because the issue isn't that shit gets trippy and wierd, it's that they build up this expectation over the final two episodes and then just go, eh, we'll just give the kid a life lesson or something.
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27231 on: April 24, 2016, 11:10:31 am »

That's why you watch End of Evangelion. It's functionally the ending for the series if you don't pretend to admire the last two episodes for being ~artsy~.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27232 on: April 24, 2016, 01:05:33 pm »

Yeah from what I've heard basically the last few episodes are whats going inside Shinji's head, while EoE is what's actually happening in the story? Or something like that.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27233 on: April 24, 2016, 01:30:40 pm »

Its so weird... Goku pulled a bad anime in Dragon Ball Super with using BSium.

But then again not only has the show earned it... But Dragon Ball Super is a self-parody so of COURSE Goku is going to perform some non-sense.

For those who don't know

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27234 on: April 24, 2016, 04:05:59 pm »

Second episode of Kabaneri is out. Damn good one too. Really loving the action, especially the music they chose to go along with it, makes for a wierd but kinda working dynamic. Also the bridge scene was stupidly good, dude was so damn spiteful that he'd save everyone just so they could feel like shit for leaving him to die :D
AS - IG

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27235 on: April 24, 2016, 05:36:41 pm »

This is just a personal opinion piece and others are free to feel as they like, but I'm really getting sick of shows that try to bill you on a concept and then completely fail to deliver on it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27236 on: April 24, 2016, 05:53:41 pm »

Heh, it's actually pretty neatly explained in the second episode, also kinda the title.

AS - IG

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27237 on: April 24, 2016, 06:38:14 pm »

E3 of Haifuri on gogoanime. Awesome!
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27238 on: April 24, 2016, 06:48:00 pm »

Second episode of Kabaneri is out.
It's been out for a while, but I've been putting off watching it until I can find some subtitles that aren't literally Hitler.

E3 of Haifuri
Anime of the season tbh
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27239 on: April 24, 2016, 06:53:42 pm »

E3 of Haifuri on gogoanime. Awesome!
To be completely honest, it didn't feel like much got done this episode.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 1814 1815 [1816] 1817 1818 ... 2193