Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3062056 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27075 on: April 13, 2016, 12:46:08 am »

Yeah to my understanding Watamote was a total bomb in Japan as a whole. According to net lore it getting an anime in the first place came from the manga gaining a massive following on 4Chan of all places (you can probably guess why). There's an authors note where she mentioned that they kept sending her dick pics and has even acknowledged their memes regarding the series.
She actually more or less said thanks for the dick pics, which... was probably the best thing she could do in the situation whether she appreciated them or not, but it makes more sense to think that she at least appreciated the sentiment.

Though personally I didn't really like the show. For me the cringe humor got really old after the first few episodes and turned into just plain cringe.
Yeah, I didn't watch the show because that's how I felt about the manga.

I'm still finishing off last season. College and shit takes priority over day-1 watching.
Ah, yeah I know how that goes. Research took up most of my weekend and I still have to do the data entry. When you get a chance, check out Kiznaiver, it has a case of the MC falling and seeing up a girl's skirt that I think even you would acknowledge is an excellent artistic contribution to the show and not in the least gratuitous. The show itself is a bit adolescent for my tastes but the animation is stylish as fuck. Really shows off what Trigger can do when they're being serious. Though of course we saw that in LWA, but that was just an OVA. And it didn't go for any fancy tricks, really, just consistent quality. This has cinematography which calls back to Akira, a trippy scene like a lighter version of the nightmares in Madoka, and character designs that remind me of Persona. I recognize, but somehow can't place, the strong use of color to set scene, and the clear bright look in the scenes that don't have that effect. It does a good job of taking aesthetic pieces that are already developed and blinding them together in a show where none of it feels derivative. Judging only from the first episode, it's an aesthetic masterpiece. The story hasn't impressed me yet, but at least I'm curious, and the sound design didn't stand out.

I didn't start that intending to do so much of a review of it, but fuck it, I wrote it so now I'm posting it. I guess I'll offer to similarly review any of the shows I'm watching this season if anyone wants to know what they're like.

I've noticed that in recent times the thread has gained a habit of eating up a lot of show discussion with its massive demographics and culture tangents. Anyways personally I've been watching Joker Game, Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song, Macross Delta, Gundam Unicorn 0096, Endride, Jojo, and Sailor Moon Crystal since the new season somehow cleaned up its act.
And we have literally zero overlap. Just goes to show that the anime market is still reasonably diverse, I guess.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27076 on: April 13, 2016, 04:18:11 am »

Yup, everything has a cause, technically speaking, but when someone talks about a "cause" for a mental illness, they usually mean some external trigger or social set of events that "explains" why you feel like that. The main problem is that if you understand it like that, then "get over it" becomes good advice for chronic depression sufferers, or your friends think that sticking someone with crippling social anxiety into rooms packed full of people to "get used to it" is a good idea. So that's why trying to come up with external "explanations" for why someone turned out a certain way can be harmful to understanding real sufferers. People basically project their own psychology onto other people to try and explain why someone acts the way they do.
To be fair for a fair number of mental problems that's actually how you "solve" them (i.e., a combination of recognizing the problem or exposure therapy), the big problem is that people don't recognize that you don't jump straight to the end, that only reinforces the problem due to the anxiety/etc. that it causes. You don't teach someone to swim by throwing them in the deep end of the pool after all, and you don't "cure" social anxiety by throwing someone into a large group of people right off the bat. You need to start extremely small, and step by step slowly move towards defeating the mental loops and patterns that are ingrained in the brain. (Of course there is also a whole bevy of problems that have more physical causes, and in those cases medication is really the answer).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27077 on: April 13, 2016, 11:11:02 am »

(Of course there is also a whole bevy of problems that have more physical causes, and in those cases medication is really the answer).
This turns out to be less and less true the more we learn though. Often environmental modifications are both more effective and less damaging to the person, though in many cases they may be non-obvious. Increasing the amount of sun exposure, for example, is quite effective against depression.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27078 on: April 13, 2016, 11:25:50 am »

(Of course there is also a whole bevy of problems that have more physical causes, and in those cases medication is really the answer).
This turns out to be less and less true the more we learn though. Often environmental modifications are both more effective and less damaging to the person, though in many cases they may be non-obvious. Increasing the amount of sun exposure, for example, is quite effective against depression.

Put a rant in spoilers... Apparently that triggered me O-o... Feel free to ignore the spoilers. I only keep it up for honesty sake.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The reason why depression is explained in fiction is because "there is no reason" doesn't lead to good storytelling. People want something solid and normal people cannot easily understand the concept of being depressed for no reason. Social anxiety? Often just a personal quirk (Human beings in nature didn't often congregate in groups as large as we have now).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:46:37 am by Neonivek »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27079 on: April 13, 2016, 11:44:10 am »

Man, do y'all only watch shows that are over? Where's the hype for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress? Or Netoge no Yome? Or Luluco or Kiznaiver or Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou? Even in the MAL range of taste, there's Flying Witch.
Theres too much stuff to watch to watch new things. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27080 on: April 13, 2016, 12:08:46 pm »

Take 10 minutes out of your day to watch the first episode for Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro. Just trust me on this one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27081 on: April 13, 2016, 12:53:27 pm »

Haha, thanks for the recommendation Joshua, that was excellent!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27082 on: April 13, 2016, 02:05:00 pm »

That's one that's excellent but I wonder if it won't wear thin after a while.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27083 on: April 13, 2016, 02:06:39 pm »

No, how could that dumb gag ever wear thin?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27084 on: April 13, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »

They talk quickly. I like that.

Also plenty of us watch new shows.
I was watching GATE, once. I stopped, but not for any reason. I'm planning to go back after I finish rewatching Hellsing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27085 on: April 13, 2016, 06:00:21 pm »

And gg subs continues to save anime by not only rising from the dead to sub Macross Delta, but now Kuromukuro as well.
It's FEF, not FEOF

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27086 on: April 14, 2016, 03:48:33 am »

So, there were posts about Terraformars around the same time I started watching Watamote... and, marvel at the connection of all things, there's a Terraformars reference in the last episode of Watamote. :P

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:50:09 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27087 on: April 14, 2016, 04:29:39 am »

Yes, always spoiler things. The backlog of really classic anime is huuuuuuuge, for me, and I'm guessing I've seen more than the average person. Given the 150+ new animes a year, it's very unreasonable to expect that "anyone who wants to see this would have already seen it" for anything.

"Surely everyone would have seen <Show X> by now!" is very personal logic. Who is "everyone"? And does that include everyone who could possibly peek in on this thread?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:37:14 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27088 on: April 14, 2016, 04:48:16 am »

That's a lot of anime.

My list's got... ninety things? Forty? Dunno, I forget.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27089 on: April 14, 2016, 11:28:37 am »

I can't help but snicker at that the outfit the male lead of Kuromukuro wears in the previews for the second episode makes him look like a male version of Hestia.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 ... 2193