Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1798 1799 [1800] 1801 1802 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061304 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26985 on: April 08, 2016, 09:10:49 pm »

Inuyasha really was the first Twilight, wasn't it? I've heard that comparison made before, but I'm finally seeing how apt it is.

At least it's decently gory and has a nice layer of action-adventure over the proceedings.

Twilight is hardly anything new. It just brought forth to the everyperson the tropes that were quite frequent in romance novels at the time.

In fact... from what I've been told Twilight is actually the GOOD ONE!!!...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:40:45 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26986 on: April 08, 2016, 09:15:06 pm »

It's also the first anime I'm watching dubbed since.... the last time I watched Inuyasha actually. It really makes me think that Yu-Gi-Oh had the right idea Americanizing all of the names. The Japanese words and names that are left un-localized sound really awkward, coming from voices that aren't used to pronouncing them.
I tried watching Clannad dubbed, but I had to go back to subs after minutes of Nageeeeeeeeesa

Anglicising names isn't a bad idea, but then you need to adapt a bunch of other stuff to make sense and suddenly there's a lot of nuance completely lost. Which is my problem with dubs and anglicised subs in general really.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:18:08 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26987 on: April 08, 2016, 09:31:59 pm »

It's better than I remember, so far. That's not saying much, because I remember it being garbage just slightly above Bleach, but still. Watchable schlock is still watchable.
The manga was moderately better, I thought. Seemed to move quicker and feel more... coherent, I guess? Like, basically the exact same things happened, but it somehow felt gimmicky in the anime and fairly reasonable in the manga a lot of the time.

Inuyasha really was the first Twilight, wasn't it? I've heard that comparison made before, but I'm finally seeing how apt it is.

At least it's decently gory and has a nice layer of action-adventure over the proceedings.

Twilight is hardly anything new. It just brought forth to the everyperson the tropes that were quite frequent in romance novels at the time.

In fact... from what I've been told Twilight is actually the GOOD ONE!!!...
Yeah. Both have a fair bit in common with the current vogue of fantasy haremshit, too.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26988 on: April 08, 2016, 09:58:04 pm »

Man, I don't remember that dog's face getting bitten off in Jojo. In fact, it's been so long I don't remember anything about Diamond is Unbreakable besides the most major characters and events, so it's like I'll be experiencing it fresh all over again.

It has cool OP and ED though, following the tradition of Jojo's songs being flashy and flamboyant. Yay Savage Garden.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26989 on: April 08, 2016, 10:06:35 pm »

At least it's decently gory

what tooth-based c-section not gory enough for you

Sure, though I have no idea what you're talking about. Blood n' guts is entertainment value all on its own.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26990 on: April 08, 2016, 10:43:15 pm »

I'm so glad to have my weekly dose of Anime Watchmen/Civil War back again.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26991 on: April 08, 2016, 11:30:21 pm »

Man, I don't remember that dog's face getting bitten off in Jojo. In fact, it's been so long I don't remember anything about Diamond is Unbreakable besides the most major characters and events, so it's like I'll be experiencing it fresh all over again.

It has cool OP and ED though, following the tradition of Jojo's songs being flashy and flamboyant. Yay Savage Garden.

The series really does take a more violent turn compared to the others. Or rather, more grounded villains rather than supernatural beings.
I didn't remember it either but I think that's partly because I find it sometimes difficult to understand what's going on in the manga panels.

Still, I really like the bizarre colours they're using for everything. Very striking and makes things seem kind of surreal.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26992 on: April 09, 2016, 07:17:32 am »

Are there any high quality G-rated dubbed anime?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26993 on: April 09, 2016, 07:44:51 am »

Finishing up Ajin. Like most series, the authorities in this are very stupid and could easily beat the monsters if they used all the actual weapons as law enforcement disposal. e.g. in episode 12

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Um

Are there any high quality ... anime?
No

Except maybe this
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:58:16 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26994 on: April 09, 2016, 08:06:49 am »

What's the target age / gender of who this is for? More detail would help narrow down what is and isn't a good suggestion.

As a quick guide, this is a tailored search for all G-rated TV animes from myanimelist, in order of user ratings. You'd have to cross-reference against a dub site however, and the first several pages of search results don't have dubs. It looks like good G-rated anime don't get dubbed very often.

For movies, just stick to the Ghibli back catalogue. Pretty much every single Ghibli movie got dubbed by Disney, so the dubs are very consistent.

As one suggestion A Little Snow Fairy Sugar was by far the best 100% kid-appropriate anime TV show I've seen. It's the kind of thing that would be entertaining for younger kids and adults, but maybe not teenagers so much if you know what I mean. I prefered the subs, but it is dubbed, unlike many other G-rated anime. As a point for retro anime fans: the eponymous fairy in the Snow Fairy dub is played by Reba West, who voiced Minmei in Harmony Gold's "Robotech" dub.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:35:54 am by Reelya »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26995 on: April 09, 2016, 08:10:55 am »

GuP is a good beginner's anime. It's fanservice shots are all relatively SFW (just don't pause it at those spots and you'll be fine)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26996 on: April 09, 2016, 07:35:22 pm »

So first ep of Kabaneri is out. Pretty nice so far, loving the art style, the 3d trains are a bit iffy at times but the characters themselves are pretty well done.

As far as the setting goes, it's an interesting take on zombies and I wanna see where they go with it. Main dude is kinda cool tho we don't know much about him, but I guess that comes with time. Not gonna bother spoiling the first episode, but basically he gets bitten by a zombie by the end of it, and since he's bright enough to have figured out that it's probably a disease and not a curse he tries to stop it reaching his brain. Now instead of amputating the bitten arm, he kinda makes this cool looking set of belts to basically hang himself. It works I guess, but I'm not sure I like the way it did though since the disease kinda went away on it's own? I'm guessing it'll be explained later on but that bit kinda bugged me, the rest was pretty nice.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26997 on: April 09, 2016, 10:31:57 pm »

Ellen Baker. :v
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26998 on: April 10, 2016, 03:17:08 am »

Kabaneri is basically Shingeki no Kyojin: Meiji Restoration Edition. Not that that's a bad thing, I love me some meiji restoration and it seems well done so far. It's definitely nice to see an anime which actually uses 3-tone shading (up to 5-tone in faces/important scenes) instead of sticking to quicker and cheaper styles. Not sure about the choice to employ well-known hentai people on the character design front, but it seems to be working out okay.

since he's bright enough to have figured out that it's probably a disease and not a curse
Just in case you forgot about the social context of when it was set, right?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26999 on: April 10, 2016, 04:22:58 am »

So there's an anime which has come out this season which I can't remember the name of.
It's basically sci-fi supersoldiers with animal DNA fighting cockroach-people on mars.

Which was an awesome premise, but I've just hit episode 7 and I just can't stand it. Everything is a dramatic flashback, everyone is boring, and all of the girls are useless, as always, thank you Japan.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 1798 1799 [1800] 1801 1802 ... 2193