Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061998 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26880 on: March 29, 2016, 02:12:31 pm »

I don't think season 2 had a cliffhanger compared to season 1. It's meant to go either way now, sequel or no sequel, and deliberately had some "happily ever after" themes at the end and a "full circle" theme, too.

One thing that annoys me is why JSDF so OP, and there's powerful magic in this new world, yet that magic is only ever enlisted on the JSDF side. That's basically the author trying to have his cake and eat it at the same time. The baddies are 1-dimensional pure evil to justify their routine slaughter, yet they are just as dumbfounded by the appearance of magic (which is native to their world) as they are by high tech. So they need to be both pure frothing evil dictators, yet somehow not able to utilize the local magic tech whatsoever in their continent-shaking wars that have occurred. That makes no sense at all: many wizards should have flocked to protect their own countries in times of war over the centuries when they were threatened. Another thing is that there's a pretty robust gender divide here. Almost all the baddies are men, and the JSDF allies are women. The only exception is that one evil woman-behind-the-throne person, but she's much like a Disney Evil Queen/Wicked Witch type of character.

It is also quite mind boggling why the SDF seems to have no interest in studying magic AT ALL, they are almost completely apathetic towards its use and basically consider it normal.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26881 on: March 29, 2016, 02:26:23 pm »

The Author of Gate is known for his right-wing views of wanting to remilitarize Japan again. As such I believe it makes perfect sense that he depicts such as he believes things should be.

As for magic, well... eff if I know :/
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26882 on: March 29, 2016, 02:38:59 pm »

There's also quite a sub-theme where the guys itching to shoot things are the heroes, held back in their pursuit of all that is Just (and explodely) by those useless 'democratic governments' with their busy-body 'elected politicians', and the so-called 'media', shrieking about bullshit like 'human rights violations' and 'invading other countries'. This is another reason the bad guys have to be extra-evil: so that you actually cheer when the army goes off doing extra-judicial killings in a war zone, civilian oversight be damned! And it's very heavy-handed with making you feel like that, with the bad guys torturing cute little girls, and rogue military officers being the only savior.

"We need less civilian oversight on military operation! How else are we going to save the lolis?!?". That's literally the formula they slap you in the face with.

Seriously, the "heroes" in the final few episodes killed WAY more innocent people than the "bad guys" ever did. I mean, they just outright slaughter whole armies of regular joes, to save a very small number of people. Considering that they killed thousands to rescue only a few people, maybe the "critical media" guys have a point about use of excessive force?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:00:35 pm by Reelya »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #26883 on: March 29, 2016, 02:59:42 pm »

I finally started watching Madoka, after most people have given up trying to get me to watch it. Just finished the first episode.
Watch to about episode 3-4, that's generally when people decide if they like the show or not.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26884 on: March 29, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »

I finally started watching Madoka, after most people have given up trying to get me to watch it. Just finished the first episode.
Watch to about episode 3-4, that's generally when people decide if they like the show or not.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26885 on: March 29, 2016, 06:33:27 pm »

excessive force
Wait, sub-theme? I thought the nationalistic milwank was the whole point of the show.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26886 on: March 29, 2016, 07:13:55 pm »

It is.

That and pedo-baiting, anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26887 on: March 29, 2016, 07:26:47 pm »

excessive force
Wait, sub-theme? I thought the nationalistic milwank was the whole point of the show.

The specific sub-theme I was referring to was the "stupid civilian leaders/journalists are holding us back" part.

That's a separate issue to the one in the last paragraph where I was pointing out that they wholesale slaughtered the natives, and you can have nationalistic milwank without the anti-government/anti-media part and without the "mass slaughtering people who can't fight back" part. All the other dumb shit in the show is basically to try and wallpaper over the fact that this show is about a high-tech invader killing lots of primitive people without any actual resistance.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:37:14 pm by Reelya »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #26888 on: March 29, 2016, 07:35:29 pm »

Ooh, someone watching PMMM? And they've managed to go unspoiled? I didn’t think it was possible.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26889 on: March 29, 2016, 10:07:05 pm »

I dunno. The whole "idiot incompetent liberal politicians and media trying to stop le honoroburu miritary from killing people" shows up pretty consistently in milwank. Certainly does from all the major mil-SF authors.

3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26890 on: March 30, 2016, 12:18:55 am »

Mecha shows tend to very nearly always err on the side of "Height of technological progress" and the mechs themselves are therefore always flashy, showy, shiny, and impressive. Are there any mech shows where the mechs themselves are just shitty? Like, just fuckin janky and clanky. Preferably made of literal garbage? I think that'd be interesting.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26891 on: March 30, 2016, 12:20:20 am »

Are there any mech shows where the mechs themselves are just shitty? Like, just fuckin janky and clanky. Preferably made of literal garbage? I think that'd be interesting.
That sounds amazing. I don't normally like mecha shows but that would be pretty darn cool.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26892 on: March 30, 2016, 12:29:45 am »

...posting to watch. Even though I was already watching this thread.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26893 on: March 30, 2016, 12:32:52 am »

Mecha shows tend to very nearly always err on the side of "Height of technological progress" and the mechs themselves are therefore always flashy, showy, shiny, and impressive. Are there any mech shows where the mechs themselves are just shitty? Like, just fuckin janky and clanky. Preferably made of literal garbage? I think that'd be interesting.
Kappa

3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26894 on: March 30, 2016, 01:16:27 am »

Can't say anything on the actual content due to a lack of personal experience, but some of the works of mechanical designer Makoto Kobayashi might fit the asthetic you're looking for depending on how literal you are being with that description, particularly his designs in Dragon's Heaven.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:32:01 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 ... 2193