Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1774 1775 [1776] 1777 1778 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066196 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26625 on: February 27, 2016, 03:15:45 am »

Concret Revolutio from last year: you might like that one.
Any info other then "it exists"? :P

Well the show is sort of hard to describe. I'll just quote the synopsis from wikipedia:

In the year Apotheosis 41, Earth is currently home to superhumans and paranormal phenomena of all kinds, from aliens and magical girls to ghosts and transforming robots. However, official knowledge of these beings is officially kept under wraps by the governments of the world. The Japanese government has quietly set up the "Super Population Research Laboratory," or the "Superhuman Bureau," to keep track of all superhuman beings in the country and eliminate them if they pose a threat to humanity. In the present, Bureau member Jiro Hitoyoshi finds himself recruiting new superhumans for the Bureau in the course of his job. However, five years later in Apotheosis 46, Jiro turns into a vigilante on the run from the Bureau while the rest of its members deal with the consequences of their earlier actions.

Basically, it's very colorful and has every overpowered thing you could think of. Also, it's one that would be better to watch in a row as it has a disjointed timeline (stuff from the year #46 frames most episodes but the bulk of each episode is a flashback to a relevant story-arc from the earlier years). Watching it back to back would make it easier to follow the meta-plot than people who watched it weekly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:19:21 am by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26626 on: February 27, 2016, 06:39:11 am »

Ones I've enjoyed:
Kill La Kill (literally the best thing ever)
Ah, that's a good show. When I first heard of it, I didn't think I'd like it due to the fanservice. A lot of people were saying it was genuinely good, however, so I tried it out and found myself enjoyi

TTGL (former best thing ever)
(former best thing ever)
(former best thing ever)
WTFUSAYINGILLCOMEKILUANDURDOGIFYOUSAYTTGLISNTTHEBESTTHINGEVERISWEARONMEMUM!!!!!1!!!!

Also seconding The Devil is a Part-Timer, that show's great.
Is it, now? And here I thought it was just another shitty harem anime. I'll have to give it a try some day.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26627 on: February 27, 2016, 07:27:24 am »

FMA

Fair enough, the Anime (Brotherhood Series) tends to swing too much on the mood bordering on comedic, shonen-y, then depressing. On the same scene. I kind of like it for particularly that; the anime tends to give valid reason as to why things are how they are, keeps things from being too heavy (even when it is at most times), and there's some action to fix up some things. It also makes the end portions all the more cathartic, as it does end on a good note.

Otherwise, yeah, prep some hankies; it's time to tear up.

Gonna need some new VNs; preferrably something that I won't have to deal around with AppLocale. Any suggestions?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26628 on: February 27, 2016, 08:25:07 am »

TTGL (former best thing ever)
(former best thing ever)
(former best thing ever)
WTFUSAYINGILLCOMEKILUANDURDOGIFYOUSAYTTGLISNTTHEBESTTHINGEVERISWEARONMEMUM!!!!!1!!!!
Its former best thing ever because Kill la Kill is basically "we did it again but even better"

Seems closer to reality then rapeworld.  At least in my opinion for FMA...
I get the feeling he felt like that after seeing Girl x Dog
Yeah, that was definitely a part of it. If it was JUST that then it might be okay, but then the "no-one can stay happy, ever" hits kept on coming.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26629 on: February 27, 2016, 08:44:55 am »

Anyone have any recommendations for ME?

I have practically the exact opposite tastes as LordInquisitor :P

But yeah, I'm a shonen fanboy who typically doesn't enjoy a work until someone makes a mountain explode by glaring at it.
I'd second Concrete Revolutio; it was too ambitious with its short run, but basically it's trying to be Ghost in the Shell SAC but with modern shounen tropes, and superheroes and kaiju instead of spies and cyborgs.

Redline is a fun, and beautifully animated, very racing movie - I've seen it described as "Gurren Lagann with racecars".

Also, despite what you said, the first two Rebuild of Evangelion movies sound like something you'd like.  Probably not the third though. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26630 on: February 27, 2016, 04:37:33 pm »

A Certain Magical Index - It's fairly shoneny. The first arc gets just a hair depressing near the finale, but after that it's tends to stay away from that pretty well. Personally I prefer A Certain Scientific Railgun (which is it's sister story from a different point of view), but it's better story and higher production rates come at the expense of it being a lot more depressing comparatively.

Soul Eater - Might be worth checking out. Honestly the story is not the most understandable even in the original manga, though the anime did a really good job at pulling together a semi-sensible ending from the first half of a fairly nonsensical plot (at which point they ran out of manga to adapt).

The Devil is a Part-Timer - Again, absolutely hilarious, fairly light comedy, and somewhat shoneny for the intense parts. Probably not quite a perfect fit for what you are looking for, but it's still definitely worth a watch.

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works - Glorious shonen that is very pretty. Possibly my favorite anime ever so far. I'd suggest watching through Fate/Zero first if you can stomach it, but it's lots more depressing than UBW is (including many bad things happening to children, be warned). It's still okay to watch UBW without F/Z, but you might miss some of the references or have a bit harder time recognizing some of the character relationships.

Trigun - It's pretty fun. Has a few depressing moments, but the vast majority of it is just sheer hilarious shonen action. Only real drawback is that it's old (1998) and looks old.

Code Geass - Not gonna lie, it's fairly depressing, but not quite as much so as Attack on Titan and with that same "this is something that we need to fix" aspect to it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26631 on: February 27, 2016, 05:04:35 pm »

I have practically the exact opposite tastes as LordInquisitor :P

But yeah, I'm a shonen fanboy who typically doesn't enjoy a work until someone makes a mountain explode by glaring at it.
I'd second Concrete Revolutio; it was too ambitious with its short run, but basically it's trying to be Ghost in the Shell SAC but with modern shounen tropes, and superheroes and kaiju instead of spies and cyborgs.

Well that's because the second half of the show is airing next season. :P

Though it comes off more as an attempt to make a Japanese version of Watchmen. I'm fairly certain I saw a quote from the staff saying that Watchmen was one of their main inspirations actually. And it does a pretty damn good job at it for that matter.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26632 on: February 27, 2016, 05:21:09 pm »

Tho it could've done with being spread out over a few more episodes. It's incredibly information dense at times, especially when it starts time jumping that you can have trouble following what the hell is going on. Tho after a while it becomes a bit more clear and bearable, mostly because by that point I was familiar with most of the folks so I had some idea how or why these things were important.

Still, damn good show if you're looking for a slightly zany take on the genre.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26633 on: February 27, 2016, 06:16:09 pm »

A Certain Magical Index - It's fairly shoneny. The first arc gets just a hair depressing near the finale, but after that it's tends to stay away from that pretty well. Personally I prefer A Certain Scientific Railgun (which is it's sister story from a different point of view), but it's better story and higher production rates come at the expense of it being a lot more depressing comparatively.
I'm gonna have to counter this recommendation on the grounds that both Magical Index and Scientific Railgun are shit. Index is generic harem bullshit while Railgun has a lot of attempted (and successful) sexual assault played for laughs. Magical Index 2 suffers from a lot of the same stuff as Index 1 but Accelerator is awesome enough that it just barely edges into "good" territory. Railgun S (the sequel to Railgun) is just good all around.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26634 on: February 27, 2016, 07:22:56 pm »

Strange, I noticed some cases of harem-y-ness in Index, but not to the point where that's all that there was to it. Honestly for me the point of view was more focused on the standard shonen "hold still and let the main character punch you, you superpowered individual" than any sort of harem fanservice antics. It's definitely not solid gold story material, but it's certainly not ecchi harem BS, or even harem-focused BS from my point of view.

Railgun - Yeah that can be a bit annoying *shrug*. Personally I'm really good at ignoring that kind of stuff so I don't really find it that bothersome (they even make sure that it doesn't infringe on the serious parts of the show like what so often happens when that trope is used in other shows), but if that's something that pushes your buttons then feel free to avoid it.

Course I'm talking about the subbed version in both cases, IIRC a lot of the original dialogue and scenarios play out a lot better with the slightly older sounding JP voice artists than with the younger-sounding english dubbed ones (some of which are shrill enough to bug my ears).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26635 on: February 27, 2016, 07:53:18 pm »

Outlaw Star - My favourite anime. Really fun space adventure. Has space pirates, samurais, magic, guns that shoot magic, werecats, cyborgs, telepathic alien cactuses, and spaceships with arms that swordfight other spaceships. From the 90s though so the animation quality varies a lot.

FLCL - Why do robots keep popping out of this kids head?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26636 on: February 27, 2016, 08:28:53 pm »

I just saw the character designs for Ai Tenchi Muyo...  I feel as though something important to me has just been violated in a hideous and irreconcilable way.  I hope that the individuals responsible suffer horrifically for their transgressions.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26637 on: February 27, 2016, 09:29:28 pm »

I just saw the character designs for Ai Tenchi Muyo...  I feel as though something important to me has just been violated in a hideous and irreconcilable way.  I hope that the individuals responsible suffer horrifically for their transgressions.
Quote from: Wikipedia Plot Synopsis
In this story, the world is in chaos, thanks to Washu. Now in order to save it, Tenchi Masaki must go undercover as a student teacher at an all-girls school. Unfortunately for him, trouble always comes his way as he has a hard time to deal with the hijinks of his new students.
Pffffffft, that's amazing. I know somebody who really likes (original) Tenchi Muyo, you see, and I believe I've just found a way to make them literally incandescent with rage.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26638 on: February 27, 2016, 09:43:24 pm »

Well Ai Tenchi Muyo only goes for 4 minutes an episode, so I think it can be considered like those non-canon super deformed specials some shows get. It was basically paid-for by a specific city's tourism board to raise tourist awareness of their city, so the whole thing is more of a series of commercials than a "real" anime.

I think I'm learning, I started watching my least favorite seasonal animes first. That's because last year I ended up with a backlog of shows I was keeping up with but really didn't like as much, and it was painful to marathon though half a dozen eps at once, whereas doing the same with a good show is more fun.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:50:30 pm by Reelya »

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26639 on: February 27, 2016, 10:27:13 pm »

Well that's because the second half of the show is airing next season. :P

Though it comes off more as an attempt to make a Japanese version of Watchmen. I'm fairly certain I saw a quote from the staff saying that Watchmen was one of their main inspirations actually. And it does a pretty damn good job at it for that matter.
Haven't actually seen Watchmen, but the structure with the character-focused episodes and the vaguely philosophical implications were what gave that impression - the Time Police and immortal people parts in particular, as well as the basic plot.

And it's not that it was too short, necessarily, but that it had the common 12-episode problem of the last several episodes being much faster paced than the rest as they tried to cram in all the plot without enough development.  But maybe I just noticed the pacing more once I understood what was going on more.
Pages: 1 ... 1774 1775 [1776] 1777 1778 ... 2193