Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1685 1686 [1687] 1688 1689 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055888 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25290 on: November 07, 2015, 04:59:00 am »

"Dosa" is the sound effect used for dropping a stack of papers onto a desk or flopping down onto a bed.

As far as I'm aware "Doja" is meaningless.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25291 on: November 07, 2015, 05:06:31 am »

"Dosa" is the sound effect used for dropping a stack of papers onto a desk or flopping down onto a bed.

As far as I'm aware "Doja" is meaningless.

I should state that I am writing it phonetically.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25292 on: November 07, 2015, 05:11:48 am »

Not too much difference between "s", "sh" and "j", and I can see dialects swapping those.

but i don't know if any do, so that's not an answer

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25293 on: November 07, 2015, 05:14:09 am »

Not too much difference between "s", "sh" and "j", and I can see dialects swapping those.

but i don't know if any do, so that's not an answer

Ohh I see so the character likely is meant to have somewhat of a regional "accent". I was wondering why he wasn't crying out DOSA!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25294 on: November 07, 2015, 10:15:55 am »

In Japanese each letter represents a syllable rather than a vowel or consonant.  So you don't get words that end with consonant sounds (other than "n", which is treated as a syllable on its own) in Japanese.  Foreign words and names have to be adapted to fit this scheme.

I'm not sure on the context of "dosa".  If it's in the context I'm imagining of "how about this?" there's a lot of modifications you can use at the end of a sentence instead of sa for different emphasis.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25295 on: November 07, 2015, 10:27:06 am »

The only thing I can think of is a specific VA that under-enunciates the leading and final phonemes (otou-san = tou-sa~), or possibly poor audio quality in the work in question; I'm not sure, but I think underenunciating the leading phoneme actually isn't that uncommon, especially since it's one of those words people learn really early as young children.  "Dousa" (動作) is a word for one's actions, movements, or manners, but I don't believe that applies. 

(Well, for the longest time, I couldn't hear the difference between "brother" and 'Mr. Demon")
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:30:15 am by Culise »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25296 on: November 07, 2015, 02:03:22 pm »

In Japanese each letter represents a syllable rather than a vowel or consonant.  So you don't get words that end with consonant sounds (other than "n", which is treated as a syllable on its own) in Japanese.  Foreign words and names have to be adapted to fit this scheme.

I'm not sure on the context of "dosa".  If it's in the context I'm imagining of "how about this?" there's a lot of modifications you can use at the end of a sentence instead of sa for different emphasis.

Japanese writing and how things are pronounced are a little different. Phonemes ending with an "u" sound are by convention often the place holder for an unvocalized sound. Think a syllable boundary between two consonants in English. "Batman" would be written "Ba-tu-ma-n" in Japanese but still pronounced "Batman". For example in Paranoia Agent, the villain is always stated as "Shonen Bat", not "Shonen Batu", but the word "bat" here would in fact be written with the syllables "Ba" and "tu". Say "BAT" in English and notice that no matter what you do there's a slight hiss of air after the final "T". That slight exhalation of air is what the "u" in Japanese "tu" actually signifies. English also has that sound, we just don't write it down so we forget it exists.

Some other examples are:

- Desu, is almost always "des". And the question-end "desu ka" is more like "deska?" rather than "de-suuu-ka?" Actually in anime, characters who put an emphasis on the final "uuu" as in "desuuu" are almost without exceptions ditzy heroines in comedy anime (very prevalent in 1990s and early 2000s harem comedies). One example is Steel Angel Kurumi. Pronouncing every syllable of "desu" is a standard anime trope signifying an airheaded girl.

- Also,names, Natsuki and Satsuki are always pronounced "Natski and Satski" never "Nat-suu-ki" or "Sat-suu-ki". In any event, the middle "u" sound is as shortened as you can make it. It's the same in "suki" or "daisuki, the "u" is shortened to the point it's basically just an exhalation of breath in between the other sounds.

Another example is Kill La Kill. Senketsu and Junketsu are always pronounced "Senkets" and "Junkets". There's basically no sign of the "uuu" at all.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:13:57 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25297 on: November 07, 2015, 03:42:59 pm »

You yell out DOOOOSAAAAA!!!

Whenever your father dies or something along those lines.

Except this time the missing father got

DOOOOJAAAAA!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25298 on: November 07, 2015, 03:50:50 pm »

Neo I'm fairly certain you're mishearing the consonants in tou-san/otou-san.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25299 on: November 07, 2015, 06:55:10 pm »

Yeah, it sounds like my initial assumption was correct. The initial "o" in "otou-san" is silent +

The only thing I can think of is a specific VA that under-enunciates the leading and final phonemes (otou-san = tou-sa~), or possibly poor audio quality in the work in question; I'm not sure, but I think underenunciating the leading phoneme actually isn't that uncommon, especially since it's one of those words people learn really early as young children.  "Dousa" (動作) is a word for one's actions, movements, or manners, but I don't believe that applies. 

(Well, for the longest time, I couldn't hear the difference between "brother" and 'Mr. Demon")
this.

It's probably a VA who's dropping or slurring the final "-n" sound.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25300 on: November 07, 2015, 06:57:58 pm »

Neo I'm fairly certain you're mishearing the consonants in tou-san/otou-san.

Well watch the latest episode of Fairytale and you get the DOUJA!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25301 on: November 07, 2015, 07:01:08 pm »

I'm talking about the d, not the j. :P

I have no idea what might be up with that bit.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25302 on: November 07, 2015, 07:04:20 pm »

I dunno. Maybe it is a popular improper pronunciation... or a weird conjunction or contraction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25303 on: November 07, 2015, 07:10:30 pm »

popular improper pronunciation

at that point it's called "proper"

or "accent"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25304 on: November 07, 2015, 07:14:50 pm »

Hmm if you put less stress on the t in "Otosan" add that the O is silent.

it can sound like Dosan... that and they probably do pronounce it as Dosan a lot. Similar to British dropping Hs and adding extra vowels to words.

Though the J is odd... maybe Kansai.

Man learning a language is hard when people don't strictly stick to the rules of language.

Dropping the O, turning the T into a D sound.

---

THERE we go... Thank you a lot of freeken searching on the internet.

Apperantly Japanese is a very "Transformative" language and there are a lot of words for Father (Then again we have a few too: Father, Dad, Papa)

Douja is likely a mutation of Oyaji with Otosan/Otosama
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:27:09 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1685 1686 [1687] 1688 1689 ... 2193