Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 [1682] 1683 1684 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055732 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25215 on: November 01, 2015, 02:22:50 pm »

... despite my complete lack of interest in the vocaloid stuff, looking at that art...

... am I the only one that thinks that looks passably like someone took ruby and yang from RWBY and mashed them together?
...no, not really. I didn't notice until you pointed it out but yeah, she does look like a mashup.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25216 on: November 01, 2015, 04:30:15 pm »

Well animes and mangas are usually different anyway and often come up with different explanations.

And Sailormoon Crystal has showed me exactly why you can't just make your anime exactly like the manga...

They didn't, though. They needed at least three or four times as much money to do proper justice to Naoko Takeuchi's style, especially the really Impressionistic later stuff.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25217 on: November 01, 2015, 04:32:09 pm »

Well animes and mangas are usually different anyway and often come up with different explanations.

And Sailormoon Crystal has showed me exactly why you can't just make your anime exactly like the manga...

They didn't, though. They needed at least three or four times as much money to do proper justice to Naoko Takeuchi's style, especially the really Impressionistic later stuff.

The art sure.

But they followed the manga's plot and story note for note.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25218 on: November 01, 2015, 04:35:24 pm »

The art sure.

But they followed the manga's plot and story note for note.

Are you sure that that isn't '90s nostalgia talking for you? Because the manga was always excellent, and for different reasons than the anime. (That's not to say the anime was bad--it was much more interesting in terms of character development, thanks to all the "filler".)

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25219 on: November 01, 2015, 04:37:54 pm »

You talking about the old Sailor Moon anime or the new one?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25220 on: November 01, 2015, 04:45:51 pm »

You talking about the old Sailor Moon anime or the new one?

I am talking about the new one.

The old one was its own take on Sailormoon.

That's not to say the anime was bad--it was much more interesting in terms of character development, thanks to all the "filler".

It was also kind of deeper. The manga had characters rave on us the virtues and wonderment that is Usagi the big damn savior of everyone. Without her actually doing much.

Thus making the plot progression shallow.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 04:47:43 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25221 on: November 01, 2015, 04:46:52 pm »

SM Crystal is the new version, which is a remake that sticks to the manga basically 100%.

The general consensus is that the old anime version is better than the "true to the manga" version.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25222 on: November 01, 2015, 04:49:39 pm »

The thing is that Crystal didn't HAVE to be "not as good", but it never broke "doing the manga 100%" even when the manga outright had a mistake or oddity right in front of it... things that even the person who did the manga outright admitted was a mistake (Usagi's magically disappearing/reappearing mask for example.)

I know that Sailormoon Manga HAD to be better then Crystal due to how the medium works. The lack of characterization, for example, would have been patched in Manga format.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 04:52:24 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25223 on: November 01, 2015, 05:02:25 pm »

Except that... it wasn't.

Remember, the total run of the SM manga was 12 volumes. The total run of the original anime (from the first season to the end of Stars) was 200 episodes, or around 83 and a half hours of airtime. The vast majority of the difference in length was "filler" which, unlike a lot of series, was actually quite good, and which helped build a lot of the characterization.

3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25224 on: November 01, 2015, 06:16:43 pm »

Well well well, the ending to this week's Comet Lucifer has managed to surprise me. They might be able to save the show if the studio keeps things up. The fight was pretty nice too.

Also Concrete Revolutio continues to be amazing and anime Watchmen-esque.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:22:39 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25225 on: November 01, 2015, 06:39:01 pm »

Yo guys someone hacked Crunchyroll just now and claimed to have stolen their database. The staff took down the hacked newspost claiming it but there's still screenshots and the google cache of it. If you've bought anything from Crunchyroll or have a subscription you might want to go and secure your stuff and any shared passwords.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25226 on: November 01, 2015, 06:40:41 pm »

But who cares about art for vocaloids, right? Ha.
Quality of the vocals varies, depending on who's doing the mixing, but she sounds neat. More english vocaloids and stuff. Progress and all that jazz.
She ain't got the same soul as that Old Time Rock n Roll
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:07:11 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25227 on: November 01, 2015, 07:39:07 pm »

Comparing human singers to vocaloids is unfair to the vocaloids and --

Wait. Can't tell if you're being witty. Comparing an example of most modern vocaloid technology to a song about modern music not having soul. Heh.

Seriously though, comparing vocaloids to the quality of human singers is like comparing the DARPA robotics challenge rescue bots' ability to walk to actual people. Of course the robot will be subpar to people, it's still developing tech.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25228 on: November 01, 2015, 08:01:06 pm »

I can't help but think this is going to take the same trajectory as computer chess: in the early days they claimed no computer would ever beat a human at chess, because they didn't have that human touch which is required for such things. Kasparov said that only a few years before Deep Blue beat him. But of course it's now accepted as common sense that no human will ever beat a sufficiently powerful computer at chess  So, we artificially limit chess competitions to humans even though a machine can do it better, and the computers are used as an adjunct to the human players rather than a replacement.

... the same basic thing could happen with some future version of vocaloids: It will become common sense that no human can ever match their vocal range, control and inflection, perhaps even to the level of emotion you can sense in the singing. But of course we'll still promote human singers for a lot of reasons. In fact, if vocaloids become widely used in advertizing etc (and why wouldn't they), then being a human would be a unique selling point.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:04:31 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25229 on: November 01, 2015, 09:03:35 pm »

Vocaloids will undoubtedly continue doing well in pop precisely because of how formulaic it is.

Amusingly, vocaloids and synths could have been the next expression of the sentiment behind punk (real punk, that is; a mix of social unrest combined with the idea that anyone can play music, even/especially if it sounds like shit). The problem is that the trend is towards much more pop-y ideals regarding what music is and should be, packed in hipsteresque chic.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 [1682] 1683 1684 ... 2193