Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3053371 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24870 on: October 08, 2015, 10:32:37 pm »

They run for a season and are not popular enough to be renewed? Sounds like a normal show making thing to me. That's how most shows work from what I recall.

It would be if there was any indication that it was simply a season. Yet as far as I can tell, no. They are considered complete

It's a symptom of how so many anime these days are light novel adaptations. They're made that way to get people to buy the books to find out what happens next.

Ohh... Makes sense.

Too bad that Overlord so far is one of these shows.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24871 on: October 08, 2015, 10:44:21 pm »

Also most anime's are renewed on a by-season basis. If it's not popular enough, it gets cut. Bam, boom, end of story.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24872 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:35 pm »

Also most anime's are renewed on a by-season basis. If it's not popular enough, it gets cut. Bam, boom, end of story.

It somehow makes it hard to care about any ongoing anime because you know that there is a decent chance it won't be renewed and you will never get to see the end of the story.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24873 on: October 08, 2015, 11:51:16 pm »

The really recent trend is the split-cour shows. That gives the networks the best of both worlds. Run a show for ~13 eps. Then schedule something else in the timeslot for another ~13. Then if the first show is successful enough the greenlight a second cour. The three month gap isn't a bad thing actually, with production slippages you can get some shitty stuff in the second cour (since what started out as a 2-month lead time often shrinks to weeks or even days), and a break could definitely give the animators enough breathing space to keep the quality good.

EDIT: to check for a trend's existence we can look at previous season charts and count the long shows (which is quick to do) compared to the short shows.

http://anichart.net/winter-15
28 new shows, and 5 of them were 2 seasons+. Call that ~20% are long shows. But that misses out that the same number of long shows will have continued from the previous season, and you have other ongoing really long shows. So call it 50% long shows vs 50% one-cour shows airing at any time. As a rough guesstimate.

Let's jump back a long time, to winter '08 and compare the same deal
http://anichart.net/archive/winter-08
28 new shows, and 8 of them were 2 seasons+. Really not much different 7 years apart. If you want to see a real difference, you have to go back to the 1990s when 1-cour shows were rare and most shows were 26-52 episodes long. i.e. they planned 6-12 month runs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:02:56 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24874 on: October 08, 2015, 11:53:47 pm »

The really recent trend is the split-cour shows. That gives the networks the best of both worlds. Run a show for ~13 eps. Then schedule something else in the timeslot for another ~13. Then if the first show is successful enough the greenlight a second cour. The three month gap isn't a bad thing actually, with production slippages you can get some shitty stuff in the second cour (since what started out as a 2-month lead time often shrinks to weeks or even days), and a break could definitely give the animators enough breathing space to keep the quality good.

Plus it might allow them to create original Animes.

Which judging by Hayate Combat Butler... Animes that are not adaptations are not only rare but are considered "Not how it is done" (though in all fairness they meant more making animes of mangas that have not yet proven to be popular)

Though a quick internet search... says they do exist... though some that are listed are kind of... tenuous. (for example it lists Revolutionary Girl Utena)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:03:46 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24875 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:43 am »

What do  you mean? there are plenty of anime-originals around.

And they're a mainstay of fan popular series. Yamato, Gundam, Macross, Cowboy Beebop were all anime first.

More recently, Kill La Kill can't have escaped your notice.

It's not hard to find other originals which are hugely popular. Neon Genesis Evangelion Code Geass for example. And others like it, Star Driver, Valvrave, Aldnoah Zero. All original works.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:11:44 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24876 on: October 09, 2015, 12:09:32 am »

Yeah I am full of it.

I couldn't think of too many at the time.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24877 on: October 09, 2015, 12:11:30 am »

It probably depends on the genre. Giant robot battles? Good chance of anime-original. Magical highshool kid surrounded by girls? Probably a light novel. etc etc.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:13:03 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24878 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:40 am »

It probably depends on the genre. Giant robot battles? Good chance of anime-original. Magical highshool kid surrounded by girls? Probably a light novel. etc etc.

I also forgot... Pokémon and I think Digimon as well.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24879 on: October 09, 2015, 12:14:30 am »

I'm not sure whether to count stuff based on gaming products as anime-original. I'd only count such things as legit if the series was launched at the same time as the game. That would count Wixoss as anime-first but not Pokemon. Well-established screenwriter Mari Okada wrote the script for Wixoss and it's pretty clear that this story had a big impact on the design of the game itself, so it's a collaborative effort rather than a game adaptation.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:16:36 am by Reelya »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24880 on: October 09, 2015, 12:15:30 am »

Pokemon was absolutely a game first, then the manga, then the card game. The show actually came last, if I remember right. The TCG/anime is fuzzy for me. But red was well before ash.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24881 on: October 09, 2015, 12:18:17 am »

Whoops I forgot.

Digimon I'd only count so far as it isn't really an adaptation... It is no more an adaptation as Bayblades is an adaptation of battletops.

Pokémon does kind of follow the games for a bit and was going to follow the game a LOT more closely until it spiraled out of control.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24882 on: October 09, 2015, 12:19:58 am »

anichart actually lists the type of source material for each series, so you can spot anime-original material that way.

http://anichart.net/fall

For example, there are 40 shows this season which are 24+ minutes. Out of those  13 shows are listed as "original" so it's pretty clear that plenty of anime-original content is being aired.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:25:46 am by Reelya »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24883 on: October 09, 2015, 12:52:55 am »

Ahh, the first episode of OPM was pretty good. Did a fine job of covering the first few manga chapters, and expanding on the battle against the Subterranean People. Animation seemed to be a bit janky in some spots, but maybe it was intentional; mixing up art styles is basically a hallmark of the manga, especially where Saitama is concerned.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24884 on: October 09, 2015, 03:03:12 am »

Dear freeken goodness...

Watching Subete ga F Ni Naru: The Perfect Witness

And the female lead Moe (yes that is her name) has probably has one of the most insecure women I ever seen in an anime... and given I watched Familiar of Zero that is saying something.

She stink eyes every single woman she sees because they can all potentially steal her man.

Overall I can't say much about the anime with only one episode. It was all set up for the second episode to follow through on. It was honestly the only thing I felt like commenting on. It is waxing its faux philosophic banter but I never considered that a problem I always imagined it being an ice breaker in these animes.

---

Ok here is a pet peeve for dubs... but so far the dub I am watching has avoided it! so yay!

Swear Mode

I am ok with swearing once in a while I guess. Yet some animes like to put themselves on swear mode, where suddenly they shoot out constant streams of high-end swears. It always IMMEDIATELY takes me out of the moment no matter how well it has cultivated itself until them. Even worse when it seems so out of place for the characters (A HUGE one was Persona 4 the videogame.). This usually has to do with the fact that Japanese characters often swear and translators replace what is mild swearing with super swearing because they are "of similar use".

So far the anime I am watching does have some swearing, but has yet to go on swear mode. Yep Gangsta is so far so good.

Though I love the comment the female character does give in one episode where one of our two leads gets some medicine from a doctor and she is just incredulous because the guy looks healthy and what could he need medicine for... and I was like "Uhhh, there are a bunch of things you could need pills for that wouldn't leave an outward sign of sickness of injury."

----

Actually I will say one thing interesting about Gangsta setting wise is that "Tags" (Super tough people) are probably the toughest opponents our heroes can face. Yet because they are so incredibly valuable our heroes basically can't kill them because it would draw too much attention from the crime families.

Which is actually kind of an interesting idea. In that you can foil them and they will take it on the chin, but if you genuinely make them lose out then they might call down the thunder.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:09:25 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 ... 2193