Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1654 1655 [1656] 1657 1658 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3052257 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24825 on: October 04, 2015, 10:00:18 pm »

Also the mobile worker buggy tanks are glorious. Even if they are pretty much cannon fodder. And I like how Kudelia and Orga's personalities turned out, wasn't what I expected.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24826 on: October 05, 2015, 05:13:38 am »

Started watching a short anime that started airing called Kagewani. The artstyle is totally different to your typical anime and it was completely devoid of the usual tropes. Looks like an interesting watch. The art style and atmosphere is very similar to Yami Shibai, so I think it might be by the same guys. Season 1 of Yami Shibai was awesome. Season 2 lacked any really stellar episodes however.

Kagewani's rating on myanimelist however is abysmal, in the 5s. Basically, if you try anything different to the expected anime look and anime tropes you get marked down to shit by the people who go off first impressions and don't care about originality, they only care how "pretty" a show is. If it had been some cliched looking accidental-boob-grabbing harem comedy it would have got higher ratings, sadly. "Oh no, this experimental anime isn't as pretty as Sword Art Online, it must be shit!". But luckily, these shows tend to rise in the ratings, and the people who go for original content tend to rate things later on.

The same happened with Ping Pong by Yuasa Maasaki. It started with an abysmal 6.5 rating when it started airing but rose to be about the 40th highest rated anime on MAL. Not because it was bad at the start and got better. It was always great, but you had to look past the experimental artstyle.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:29:23 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24827 on: October 05, 2015, 08:17:23 am »

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans is looking real good so far. Probably gonna be one of the most hardcore Gundam's we've had in decades. Even my moe obsessed friend is impressed. Biscuit Griffon is the best character.

Oh here's the actual opening vid. Apparently its airing in Japan had it playing at the end instead of the credits that we got.
Biscuit Griffon is the best character.
Biscuit Griffon
Biscuit
Griffon

You know, Gundam has always been a haven for silly names, but that's fucking magnificent.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24828 on: October 05, 2015, 08:55:44 am »

Dude's name is actually Poco, anyway. Alias Biscuit Griffin, I guess. But the hat change isn't fooling anyone.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24829 on: October 05, 2015, 09:55:04 am »

Okay, just watched the first episode. I was feeling vibes of 08th MS Team, TTGL, and maybe a little Code Geass. Color me interested.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am rather curious about what's going on in the larger geopolitical arena. Pretty much in the same breath Mars was described as dried up and devoid of resources AND a crucial component in whatever-Earth's-dominion-is-this-time's economy.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24830 on: October 05, 2015, 10:07:11 am »

Wait, you hated that ending? I thought it was great, literally a middle finger to every main character and the story.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24831 on: October 05, 2015, 11:09:09 am »

Okay, just watched the first episode. I was feeling vibes of 08th MS Team, TTGL, and maybe a little Code Geass. Color me interested.

I am rather curious about what's going on in the larger geopolitical arena. Pretty much in the same breath Mars was described as dried up and devoid of resources AND a crucial component in whatever-Earth's-dominion-is-this-time's economy.

I'm predicting something related to the Ahab Reactors, like how in UC the Jupiter colonies are one of the most powerful and important factions in the solar system due to their helium-3 convoy  but are an utter hellhole to live in due to being so scarce in all the other requirements for life.

Pre-release material seems to indicate that the Federation of this universe imploded three hundred years ago and that the folks in charge of Mars are a loose collection of Earth's major power blocks who pay Gjallarhorn to act as their enforcers. I think? Maybe? We'll see.

Btw I wasn't so sure how to feel about the Graze when they were first revealed cause of how weirdly compressed they looked, but after watching this episode and seeing a picture of the inner frame of the MG gunpla, I have decided they are freaking awesome. They're pretty much the beautiful love child of the Zaku and Leo, complete with a Monoeye factsphere type thing hidden behind the orange face window thing.

Oh also funfact, turns out the show's title might not be a reference to Charlemagne, and is actually more likely to be referring to the Blood and Iron Student Corps, who were a group of kids pressed into service during WWII in an attempt to repel the invasion of Okinawa.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:40:12 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24832 on: October 05, 2015, 03:13:35 pm »

Hey guys could someone recommend me a decent anime picture that is two hours' worth at most (no boku no pico suggestions pls)?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24833 on: October 05, 2015, 04:20:59 pm »

Hey guys could someone recommend me a decent anime picture that is two hours' worth at most (no boku no pico suggestions pls)?
5 centimeters per second?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24834 on: October 05, 2015, 04:25:58 pm »

REDLINE

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24835 on: October 05, 2015, 06:18:38 pm »

Sword of the Stranger

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24836 on: October 05, 2015, 06:39:30 pm »

REDLINE

Second'd.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24837 on: October 05, 2015, 07:11:50 pm »

REDLINE

Second'd.

Yep, Redline'll do it.

Here's a spread of other reliable options: Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Grave of the Fireflies, and Jin-Roh.

Wait, you hated that ending? I thought it was great, literally a middle finger to every main character and the story.
No, I enjoyed that aspect of it. Slaine being ruined was excellent. Asseylum being the one to drive the plot to resolution was nice. It's just... it felt incredibly flat, with no real cathartic moment.

That said, the anticlimactic and rather unpoetic ending does make for a nice deconstruction of how such series normally resolve; there's nothing definitive, nobody dies, Asseylum marries politically rather than romantically, Slaine makes his first good decision and has it rendered pointless before being shuffled off-screen, &c. It doesn't mesh well with the first season, though, I think. The first was so incoherent that the way the second concluded creates a pretty strong dissonance of tone, at least for me. It went from being whackier than normal to more realistic and subdued than is usual for the genre.

3. Run Resize Enable

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24838 on: October 05, 2015, 09:28:35 pm »

Patema Inverted

The Place Promised in our Early Days

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24839 on: October 05, 2015, 10:20:08 pm »

Comet Lucifer seems alright so far. Not quite sure how I feel about the characters yet, but it's just the first episode. I think I like the MC though, he seems real genki, kinda Bellri-ish. Actually the adventure feel and colorfulness is reminding me a lot of the parts of the feeling of G-Reco that I liked. Also the mecha action is glorious. Big gorilla-lizard mecha guardian is awesome.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1654 1655 [1656] 1657 1658 ... 2193