Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1607 1608 [1609] 1610 1611 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057904 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24120 on: August 20, 2015, 01:24:50 am »

It's like, blue, but, eh, perfect, you know?
I see!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24121 on: August 20, 2015, 03:20:51 am »

Magical Index was bad (fucking romance crap). Scientific Railgun was slightly worse (fucking molester/date rapist Teleporter). Magical Index was just barely good (fucking abusive Index). Gonna watch Railgun S next.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24122 on: August 20, 2015, 03:35:51 am »

Eh, I like Touma, the fact hat his only power has only defensive uses and can literally be rendered null by using anything not magical, plus the inherent balls it requires to run up to a lightning spewing superhero and just punch her kinda makes me admire him.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24123 on: August 20, 2015, 03:56:41 am »

i don't understand how anyone could like index more than railgun

i don't understand how anyone could like or even tolerate touma or index
It had more technobabble and Index wasn't as bad in her original series as she was in her sequel. Also, it had more plot and Angel Fall was pretty decent.

The Ice Ship arc of Index 2 was boring. Also, that blonde nun with the wheel's character had no progression from "I'm going to kill you because no one's looking!" to "Oh hey, you're here. I guess we should leave the ship." Also kind of annoyed how they made the Roman Orthodox Church such an uninteresting villain. No motive or characterisation besides "We're always good and everyone else is always evil and science is REALLY evil!"

Eh, I like Touma, the fact hat his only power has only defensive uses
Except when he uses it to break barriers, weapons, etc.

can literally be rendered null by using anything not magical
But rarely ever is. Seriously, if the Vatican wanted to kill him so much all they had to do was send an awesome person who could use a gun, but they never do.

plus the inherent balls it requires to run up to a lightning spewing superhero and just punch her kinda makes me admire him.
Except it's not balls that lets him beat up lightning people, it's the fact that he's a protagonist so bland that he just can't feel any emotions that show he's being challenged. When I see him beating lightning people, all I see is Touma doing a thing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:01:56 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24124 on: August 20, 2015, 07:54:44 am »

"Demon" is wrong, but for the opposite reason you're implying:

In the original Greek, "demon" just means "spirits" in general without any connotation of evil whatsoever. So its original meaning is less evil in intent than "Yokai". Early Christian writers twisted the word around: classic case of turning the previous religion's gods into the bad guys. So you could in fact write fiction where the demons have been given a bad rap and they're not actually evil. The exact same way you can do for witches.

The way I see it, Daemon is the old fashioned term "spirit".  Heck, it's still used that way these days, see the computer Daemon and the book series "His Dark Materials". 

Demon refers to the christian evil demon things, which is pretty culterally set.

Then you have things like the Fae, which refer to more "Blue and Orange morality" type stuff.  See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlueAndOrangeMorality

That being said, Yokai would translate best to the christian Demon.  Kami would translate as Fae, but they would both be a type of Daemon. 

My two cents.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #24125 on: August 20, 2015, 05:51:26 pm »

PTW
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24126 on: August 20, 2015, 11:14:21 pm »

i don't understand how anyone could like index more than railgun

i don't understand how anyone could like or even tolerate touma or index
Indeed, though personally I'm pretty good with them both. Of course the real reason I like the shows so much is that I find they strike just the right point for me where I find the contrast between happy slice-of-life stuff and "oh, we just killed people and it's horrifying and emotional" simply exquisite. Both Index and Railgun hit that contrast, I find, but the greater emotional content of the Sisters and some of the other arcs in Railgun beat out the same emotional contrasts that show up in the Index series.

Honestly that aspect of "happy sometimes and horrifying others" is probably my biggest factor in determining what anime I like. :P I like things like SAO, Index, Railgun, and Fate/Stay Night not because they are all happy or all horrifying, but because they manage to hit a wonderful flip flop where the happy stuff makes the bad stuff worse, and the bad stuff makes the happy stuff more so, all without making me ever feel like I'm watching two different shows that just happen to have the same name and characters. It's the constant tension and release, combined with the huge contrast within the shows, that make me like them much more than any one particular character or plot device the shows contain.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #24127 on: August 21, 2015, 07:18:37 am »

The first Railgun is kinda boring because Misaka is too OP compared to everyone she comes across. The second Index, meanwhile, has a few sections focused on Accelerator, one of the greatest pseudo-protagonists ever.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24128 on: August 21, 2015, 07:30:54 am »

Railgun was boring because Misaka just didn't do much, especially compared to Teleporter.

But yeah, Accelerator is awesome. Watching him beat the crap out of Evil Teleporter and absolutely slaughter Hound Dog were the best parts of Index 2. He also has a really great voice actor. I heard the Japanese one by accident and he wasn't as good as the English one.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:18:12 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24130 on: August 21, 2015, 10:55:48 pm »

I started up the new show "Shimoneta".

I love it, it's great. So damn fun and stupid.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24131 on: August 21, 2015, 11:08:19 pm »

Also new PV out for Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:21:46 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24132 on: August 21, 2015, 11:19:23 pm »

Hmmm I am trying to think of how many types of Mobile suits there are in Gundam...

Right now I kind of got my count of 4 major denominations... but I'd probably include 5 due to those bird things.

Since there are Mobile Suits, Gundams, Guntanks, and Gunguns

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24133 on: August 21, 2015, 11:22:41 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24134 on: August 21, 2015, 11:24:59 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1607 1608 [1609] 1610 1611 ... 2193