Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1605 1606 [1607] 1608 1609 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058037 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24090 on: August 18, 2015, 10:26:31 am »

He might just be a masochist that wants a woman that great at being a bitch.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24091 on: August 18, 2015, 10:29:43 am »

... no? Not that I can recall, anyway. Her social issues aren't really downplayed all that much, she just, you know, develops as a character.

Perhaps consider actually reading the material instead of inventing some strange fantasy about it.

And also no, JFH. MC's pseudo-infatuation with the character in question has to do with a different aspect of her character, not how she verbally manhandles people (though it is part of the reason why she verbally manhandles people).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24092 on: August 18, 2015, 03:04:55 pm »

What is this, the anime version of the show Bones?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/30187/

Shoutarou Tatewaki, a high schooler living in Asahikawa City, Hokkaido, meets Sakurako Kujou, a bone-loving ojou-san who has an ability to analyze specimens. Because of meeting her, he has to accompany her to various cases.

I'm just wondering whether this is the scientific ability to analyse specimens, or a specimen-analysing magical power. The genre on the manga just says "mystery" so I don't think there's any supernatural stuff going on.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:07:54 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24093 on: August 18, 2015, 03:50:58 pm »

Looks like, pretty much. Bones wasn't half bad, either.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24094 on: August 18, 2015, 11:08:44 pm »

Sometimes I feel like translators are just kind of random.

So here is how I like to translate things

Yokai: Spirit (Yokai are a hard translate because honestly the closest translation IMO is Monster... but Spirit fits better)
Akuma: Demon
Oni: Giant (though honestly at this point, even I use the term Oni)

Jitsu translated Akuma as Devil... but in all fairness I think the translator just used the kind of demon she was anyhow... so Devil works.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #24095 on: August 18, 2015, 11:09:50 pm »

Jitsu translated Akuma as Devil... but in all fairness I think the translator just used the kind of demon she was anyhow... so Devil works.
That is so true.
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24096 on: August 19, 2015, 01:28:52 am »

I think Oni is best translated as Ogre or Troll.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24097 on: August 19, 2015, 01:36:45 am »

Ogre probably. I'll try to remember that. Since an Ogre is a mix of Monster and Giant which Oni are.

Troll is too mutated from its original meaning to apply anymore except inside academic circles.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24098 on: August 19, 2015, 01:40:04 am »

Isn't oni more of a generic "big monster" thing? Seems more appropriate to translate it as whatever it most resembles in a given setting. Usually an ogre, but whatever.

Troll is too mutated from its original meaning to apply anymore except inside academic circles.
Or on the internet.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24099 on: August 19, 2015, 01:41:05 am »

Isn't oni more of a generic "big monster" thing? Seems more appropriate to translate it as whatever it most resembles in a given setting. Usually an ogre, but whatever.

Or on the internet.
Or fishing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24100 on: August 19, 2015, 03:27:51 am »

Or on the internet.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24101 on: August 19, 2015, 03:39:16 am »

Our Oni Are Different
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24102 on: August 19, 2015, 03:55:41 am »

Ogre probably. I'll try to remember that. Since an Ogre is a mix of Monster and Giant which Oni are.

To be fair, giant is also a far cry from its original meanings as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24103 on: August 19, 2015, 04:06:46 am »

It is hard because while Yokai = Spirit... and Akuma = Demon... both gets the general idea across...

Oni, however, is kind of difficult.

I mean I know that Baba Yaga has been defined as a Witch, Hag, and Ogress...

But most Oni are in this weird area of being a rather diverse bunch themselves. Though a traditional Oni is a mix of Giantkin and Demon if I had to describe it. Their more "relaxed" definition makes things a bit tougher.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24104 on: August 19, 2015, 06:15:57 am »

Mostly no. Oni is one of the few terms of that sort that actually seem to be pretty consistently used to (mostly) talk about a specific sort of critter. Those short-horned loinclothy critters. Suika (the touhou FD posted) is a bit of a divergence, really, and she still has the horns and some of the characteristics (size (because she very cheerfully turns gigantic), belligerence, monstrous strength, etc.). There's exceptions, of course, but it's a case of exception making the rule, from what I've seen.

And yeah, to the discussion, oni is almost always translated as ogre.

The yokai thing... I'm not really sure spirit would be a good word for it, exactly. The class of critter in question has a very strong predilection towards being either malevolent or, at the least, vastly irritating. Even the ones that aren't necessarily one of those two tend to have a trigger button of some sort that turns 'em that way. Spirit is a bit too neutral for the things... they'd honestly be closer to old school fae than just about anything. Is reason yokai usually gets translated as demon, basically.

As for akuma... that is more or less also demon. Just... moreso. Kinda' like the D&D distinction between demon and devil, I guess. There's nuances to it that don't really translate well to a single word english equivalent, though, iirc.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:23:39 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1605 1606 [1607] 1608 1609 ... 2193