Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1593 1594 [1595] 1596 1597 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061130 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23910 on: August 11, 2015, 11:59:02 pm »

* Arcvasti shrugs

I have no real preference on subs vs dubs. I mostly choose based on which one the main character's voice sounds whinier in and then avoid that one.
*cough*DBZ japanese femgoku*cough*
The Japanese dub of DBZ is cancer on the ears. Why they decided to give Goku the voice of an old lady I'll never know.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23911 on: August 12, 2015, 12:02:54 am »

It's high pitched to represent his youthfulness and innocence.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23912 on: August 12, 2015, 12:06:02 am »

I like dubs where they sound sane and within their specific age bracket.

Cowboy Bebop yes, Pokemon yes.
Rurouni Kenshin, meh. (I grew up with the dub so biases, but they sound offputting.)
Advent Children sounds really off and uninspired, but that's just me.
Higurashi... Oh god.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23913 on: August 12, 2015, 12:07:58 am »

YOU SODA

I actually kind of liked Goku's Japanese voice.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23915 on: August 12, 2015, 12:31:30 am »

YOU SODA

I actually kind of liked Goku's Japanese voice.

Actually... when he isn't shrieking he is actually quite good and gets at the heart of Goku's good hearted innocence.

When he is shrieking... It sounds more like a siren or sound effect then a voice.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23916 on: August 12, 2015, 12:51:32 am »

I mostly pick subs to avoid those weird dub inflections.
Plus, the mouth flaps always seem weird to me when in english.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23918 on: August 12, 2015, 12:55:27 am »

It was the combination of both the male and female voices that got me. Also, in the English version of Please Teacher, he calls his girlfriend "Ma'am" in that nasally whiny voice. In the Japanese one he calls her "Sensei" and he voices it in a way that sounds more endearing / caring, whereas the English one it's like a little kid pleading to their teacher. Having sex with someone you call "Ma'am" in a whiny voice is just creepy. (BTW he's actually 18 in the show).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:59:42 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23919 on: August 12, 2015, 01:12:00 am »

You know...

Overlord is like the anime Dungeon should have been.

They both have harem aspects but Overlord SO FAR knows to keep it curbed. While Dungeon just did a slow slide towards total harem.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23920 on: August 12, 2015, 01:40:05 am »

I generally stick to subs except for instances where the English dub is flatly superior (there are relatively few of these, but the quality difference is major and the shows tend to be good ones to boot) or where both have their merits.

A large amount of Subs-only people such as me are scarred by the 4kids dub of One Piece, is my guess, so I guess it'll balance out over time, maybe?
Eh, honestly I watch subs not because of any "scare", but rather because of a few simple reasons:
1) With the exception of the very rarely simulcast shows, it's impossible to watch shows as they come out in the dubbed version. As such if you want to watch a brand new show as its airing you have to watch subs, because dubs don't exist.
2) Many times dubs don't capture the same feeling that subs do, or suffer from problems due to translations or even speech times making lines uncomfortable (such as where the same line takes much longer in Japanese than in English meaning that phrases... sound very... strange when they... say them).
3) There's plenty of humor and other aspects of Japanese culture that just don't translate into English that well due to not having equivalents. A basic example is a lot of stuff involving different levels of formality in certain words. For example in often the form of the word "you" with a level of politeness equal to "you horrible bastard" and the one with a level of politeness for "my glorious king" both just get translated to the same old English word "you" in the dubs, losing that gradient of information.
The really sad part is that I instantly jumped to another reason related to this for why subs are better as long as they're not made by illiterate weebs. I'm sure some of you can guess what it is.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23921 on: August 12, 2015, 01:41:44 am »

Yeah I am kind of the same way.

I always heard the argument presented towards me of why I shouldn't watch subs and that being "You are not Japanese" but to me that is the advantage. I don't KNOW if their acting is terrible.

I KNOW when a bad dub is a bad dub.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23922 on: August 12, 2015, 02:32:08 am »

Well the same argument can be made ... I'm not American either, and it breaks immersion in the story less if my Japanese characters speak Japanese than if they sound like New Yorkers or like they're from Gone With The Wind. If they try and localize this stuff, it's usually done really badly as well, putting Japanese stuff in American terms that clearly don't fit what you see on the screen.

Anyway I'm hungry so I'm off for some donuts. Nothing beats a jelly-filled donut.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:37:26 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23923 on: August 12, 2015, 03:12:17 am »

Do you mean Jelly donuts, or rice balls?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23924 on: August 12, 2015, 03:35:10 am »

Roy, "Scar", not "Scare". As in, One Piece's 4kids dub was so bad it made me lose faith in dubs forever. I am never going to watch the dubbed version of something that isn't Dragon Ball. And maybe Yu-Gi-Oh, but who watches the actual thing over the Abridged version is beyond me.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 1593 1594 [1595] 1596 1597 ... 2193