Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1557 1558 [1559] 1560 1561 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061165 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23370 on: July 12, 2015, 05:44:07 am »

There is a high turnover of characters who actually have names. Faceless mooks die in many series, but named characters are seldom introduced and offed as quickly as Titan.

But then again it's nothing special if you look hard enough. I liked Shinsekai Yori a lot more, and that rivals the number of important character deaths, probably tops it.

More people die in Macross:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:07:57 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23371 on: July 12, 2015, 05:47:29 am »

Wow, way to not consider the zentradi people, ree. Real smooth, that :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23372 on: July 12, 2015, 05:50:24 am »

I honestly can't remember any personality traits of any characters in Attack On Titan, except that Eren was borderline psychotic. Mikasa and Armin were just kind of there, and all I had learned of Levi when I stopped watching was that he was 2ALOOF4EREN. And then somebody died, and I guess that there was some romantic tension between her and Levi, but they waited until she died to reveal that because we needed a reason to care that somebody had died. I can't even remember the name of the person who died.

I'm really not a big fan of Attack on Titan is what I'm saying. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23373 on: July 12, 2015, 06:11:14 am »

I remember having several characters I liked in AoT getting killed off shortly after being introduced.

But let's not forget the most memorable scene:

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23374 on: July 12, 2015, 06:15:19 am »

Started the Stardust Crusaders arc of JoJo. The Stands are an interesting addition to the lore. I guess hamon was getting a bit overused.
Joseph Joestar is great, but hamon is kindof a generic do-everything power.  Stands are more narrow and interesting, and I think they get a lot better throughout SC (and become amazing in Part 4).

My problem with Stands is that a fair amount of the battles turned into brute force finishers; the party didn't always have to think of something clever or some complex plan, they just needed to beat the shit out of the enemy.

That's a bit disappointing coming off of Joseph Joestar's shenanigans in Part 2, since his hamon powers were actually in a way more limited than the Stands are (since it was just him and Caesar instead of having a whole group of people who can chip in their abilities.)

It also had less toilet humor, which was the absolute worst part of Stardust Crusaders and made me stop watching it entirely until friends convinced me to power through it and resume. That crap was painful, some of the worst cringey "humor" I've ever seen in my life. I don't understand the people who skip parts 1 & 2 and just jump to 3, in my honest opinion the first two are much better paced and have a better cast.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23375 on: July 12, 2015, 07:37:05 am »

why do people say there's lots of character death in attack on titan

nobody who matters ever dies, except people who are only important BECAUSE they died
There is a high turnover of characters who actually have names. Faceless mooks die in many series, but named characters are seldom introduced and offed as quickly as Titan.

But then again it's nothing special if you look hard enough. I liked Shinsekai Yori a lot more, and that rivals the number of important character deaths, probably tops it.

More people die in Macross:
Really this is true of pretty much anything that's "high fatality." If you actually go whole hog and butcher main characters regularly, you tend to rapidly lose focus, discard everything of value, and alienate everyone who might have liked your thing. Most famously brutal stuff tends to either be pretty short, knock off one or two main people this one really plot-important time, or have a sacred core and then just murder people around the periphery while pretending anyone can die.

I remember having several characters I liked in AoT getting killed off shortly after being introduced.
"Shortly after being introduced" strongly implies that they were introduced explicitly to be killed off, which generally doesn't count nearly as much as better established characters. It can still piss you off at the wasted potential, of course.

I'm... pretty speechless about not having seen that before. You'd figure it'd get around.

Started the Stardust Crusaders arc of JoJo. The Stands are an interesting addition to the lore. I guess hamon was getting a bit overused.
Joseph Joestar is great, but hamon is kindof a generic do-everything power.  Stands are more narrow and interesting, and I think they get a lot better throughout SC (and become amazing in Part 4).

My problem with Stands is that a fair amount of the battles turned into brute force finishers; the party didn't always have to think of something clever or some complex plan, they just needed to beat the shit out of the enemy.

That's a bit disappointing coming off of Joseph Joestar's shenanigans in Part 2, since his hamon powers were actually in a way more limited than the Stands are (since it was just him and Caesar instead of having a whole group of people who can chip in their abilities.)

It also had less toilet humor, which was the absolute worst part of Stardust Crusaders and made me stop watching it entirely until friends convinced me to power through it and resume. That crap was painful, some of the worst cringey "humor" I've ever seen in my life. I don't understand the people who skip parts 1 & 2 and just jump to 3, in my honest opinion the first two are much better paced and have a better cast.
I don't recall many brute force battles at all. Several of them end with somebody just punching the other guy a lot, but it's almost always preceded by half an hour of running around going shitshitshitgravityhatesmeandhecanpunchthroughwallswhatdoidowhatdoido.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23376 on: July 12, 2015, 11:02:45 am »

Stardust Crusaders is basically trying a new formula (one that, as far as I know, continues for the rest of the series), and I think it's fair to say that it takes a while for Araki to really master it.  Some of the early fights (eg Deep Blue Moon, Strength) are underwhelming.  However by the end of SC and throughout the entirety of part 4 it really works well.

Basically the idea is that rather than just having an endless series of ever stronger enemies you have villains with a particular strength that makes them difficult to fight unless you work out a new strategy for them - indeed, to underline this point most of the SC enemies would lose to Jotaro or Polnareff in a straight fight.  I think it's a much more interesting path in the long term than increasing the power slider on the enemies each series.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23377 on: July 12, 2015, 11:29:13 am »

And a much more intelligent option if you want the series to run for a long time. Eventually increasing the power slider by any meaningful amount makes the villains and heroes absurd.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23378 on: July 12, 2015, 11:51:11 am »

... but, uh. It... it's jojo. Absurdity is roughly half the point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23379 on: July 12, 2015, 01:01:21 pm »

part of why when I was recommending anime for a friend, I suggested he not go directly from madoka to lain or evangelion,  but take a break and watch a season of jojo like some sort of anime decompression.  :p
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23380 on: July 12, 2015, 01:55:34 pm »

Not the kind of absurd I'm talking about.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23381 on: July 12, 2015, 06:46:46 pm »

Stardust Crusaders is basically trying a new formula (one that, as far as I know, continues for the rest of the series), and I think it's fair to say that it takes a while for Araki to really master it.  Some of the early fights (eg Deep Blue Moon, Strength) are underwhelming.  However by the end of SC and throughout the entirety of part 4 it really works well.

Basically the idea is that rather than just having an endless series of ever stronger enemies you have villains with a particular strength that makes them difficult to fight unless you work out a new strategy for them - indeed, to underline this point most of the SC enemies would lose to Jotaro or Polnareff in a straight fight.  I think it's a much more interesting path in the long term than increasing the power slider on the enemies each series.

That is true, but it certainly has growing pains.

If JoJo ended at Battle Tendency I would have been fine with it personally, but obviously it doesn't work that way if you are making a shounen manga in that style; and I may be proven wrong in the future, who knows.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23382 on: July 12, 2015, 06:52:30 pm »

It would be a shame if it did because Diamond is Unbreakable is better than Battle Tendency.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23383 on: July 12, 2015, 07:11:45 pm »

It would be a shame if it did because Diamond is Unbreakable is better than Battle Tendency.
It'd also be a shame because JoJo is the best campy 80s-esque shonen I've seen in a while. Stopping at Battle Tendency would mean I'd have no more Jojo to watch.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23384 on: July 12, 2015, 11:43:04 pm »

When did Chichi train Goten?
Sometime between his birth and the world martial arts tournament. It was during this training that Goten first turned SS.

Anyways, I think Goku's awful parenting has as much to do with him being kinda thick as his Saiyan heritage. He doesn't know much about the world of people who do things other than punching the shit out of dudes.
I know, right? He hadn't even seen a girl until he was like 12.

For as much as Vegeta beats the shit out of Trunks during their training, even he seems to be doing better than Goku on the family front. At least Vegeta is home most of the time when he's not off fighting, and Bulma's family has so much money that any job Vegeta could hold down would be insignificant anyway.
I don't remember Vegeta ever beating the crap out of Trunks. He only ever hit Trunks once reflexively after he hit Vegeta - something Vegeta didn't think he'd be able to do as easily as he did. Afterwards, he took him to the park (Vegeta - took his son - to the park - like a normal father....friggin Vegeta did this) like he said he would if Trunks could land a blow. Vegeta is way more proper Saiyan than Goku (PRINCE OF ALL SAIYANS) so Goku's bad parenting isn't a Saiyan thing. He just sucks.

Vegeta non-jokingly better father than Goku CONFIRMED.

Yep. Episode 2 totally confirms it.

And gives the precise reason why Gohan doesn't have a dragon anymore. Must have been delicious.

Both humans (10min 26secs) and gods love the poor little bastards. Yumm!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:51:41 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 1557 1558 [1559] 1560 1561 ... 2193