Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1554 1555 [1556] 1557 1558 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061715 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23325 on: July 10, 2015, 01:59:17 pm »

Second episode was out yesterday
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:02:36 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23326 on: July 10, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »

Second episode is out today.
...brb watching it if I can find it
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:40:02 pm by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23327 on: July 10, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »

Me and sprin just watched the first episode of Elfen Lied. Having seen a "stream of consciousness review" of madoka work pretty well, I decided to try it out with him and save our chat log while we watched.

Spoiler: Chat Log (click to show/hide)

Tell me if you're interested in making a thread for this (This is a anime tradition at this point) or if it's just clutter. I don't mind if it is.
This was actually funny, I can probably guess what scenes you were talking about even if I haven't seen it in over year.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23328 on: July 10, 2015, 05:51:52 pm »

Finishing up Plastic Memories now. The most jarring thing about the show for me is the basic design of the androids. They're like perfectly normal humans 99% of the time, until the very moment they break down, then it's straight into homicidal axe-weilding maniac territory, instantly. Who thought it was a good idea to design them like that exactly, so their default breakdown mode is turning into T1000 terminators? That's putting aside that they put some of these things in place of children's parents, then when the robot inevitably goes Terminator Mode and has to be destroyed, the child is scarred for life. I'm amazed that the whole show isn't about lawsuits vs the company that created the androids.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:01:35 pm by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23329 on: July 10, 2015, 05:59:43 pm »

Finishing up Plastic Memories now. The most jarring thing about the show for me is the basic design of the androids. They're like perfectly normal humans 99% of the time, until the very moment they break down, then it's straight into homicidal axe-weilding maniac territory, instantly. Who thought it was a good idea to design them like that exactly, so their default breakdown mode is turning into T1000 terminators? That's putting aside that they put some of these things in place of children's parents, then when the robot inevitably goes Terminator Mode and has to be destroyed, the child is scarred for life. I'm amazed that the whole show isn't about lawsuits vs the company that created the androids.
Yep. That's what I disliked about it too. They're so humanlike that they're basically humans in every possible way except they live 9 years before turning feral.

I still need to finish that series, come to think of it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23330 on: July 10, 2015, 06:11:58 pm »

I think the "androids go berserk if you don't retire them by the correct date" thing was a heavy handed attempt to add some tension / rationale to why the separation is such a big deal, plus it adds the only action element to the show. Other than that, it plays no purpose in the story and really just makes everything make less sense. I can't see that there's such a big babysitter shortage that we need to start using T1000 Terminators as nannies.

It impededs the logic of the entire show, because they added that element which should now be the main problem everyone has with the androids and the company that made them, and the whole focus of the show is on something else. And nobody ever states that the company has any questions to answer about the ongoing design problems. It's like they're selling products with a high chance of randomly exploding, but if it happens that's your problem, and the company is the victim because they have to help with the cleanup.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:20:26 pm by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23331 on: July 10, 2015, 06:27:37 pm »

They way they handled the androids just seemed forced. From what I've seen of it so far they are literally exactly like humans but not. They have emotions, act like humans, socialize like humans, have distinct personalities, their body is all but indistinguishable from a human on the surface.

The only two downsides I've seen that "limit" them as far as being human is that they only live 9 years before needing to terminate or go berserk, and that they can't "improve" like a human can. Isla, for example, will always be clumsy no matter how hard she trains or practices.

So, they're exactly human except that they aren't. Why have them be androids then? Why not just make them humans? If they needed a reason to explain the short lifespan, make them have an incurable disease. I think the only reason the director had the android characters be androids is so they could be able to market it as "a romance with robots, wow, what a unique setting! Give us money!"
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23332 on: July 10, 2015, 08:36:07 pm »

Hey guys!

Have you seen the new series of Dragon Ball?

It's awesome! I'd like to see more episodes of it...

Yeah. Just watched the english subtitle version of Dragon Ball Super ep1. It's not bad, even just as an intro episode. It just reestablishes that characters are exactly like they were before. It almost takes cues from DBZA in some places (Goku's horrible fathering and complete abandonment of Chichi as soon as possible).

I kind of thought it was freaky that they used the dragon balls as a worldwide MiB neuralizer though. How often do they do that sort of shit? Do they do it to each other? Have other people done it to them? Would they know? Would we know? Help!

This also completely explains any non-canonical events in the movies. It might have happened, but everybody forgot. So in essence, a wizard did it. With dragon balls. Everyone might just think this year followed last, but there could be a few years missing for all we know, with everyone just wished into believing the currently accepted timeline. Pesky wizards and dragons.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:41:00 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23333 on: July 10, 2015, 10:19:36 pm »

They way they handled the androids just seemed forced. From what I've seen of it so far they are literally exactly like humans but not. They have emotions, act like humans, socialize like humans, have distinct personalities, their body is all but indistinguishable from a human on the surface.

The only two downsides I've seen that "limit" them as far as being human is that they only live 9 years before needing to terminate or go berserk, and that they can't "improve" like a human can. Isla, for example, will always be clumsy no matter how hard she trains or practices.

So, they're exactly human except that they aren't. Why have them be androids then? Why not just make them humans? If they needed a reason to explain the short lifespan, make them have an incurable disease. I think the only reason the director had the android characters be androids is so they could be able to market it as "a romance with robots, wow, what a unique setting! Give us money!"
They're not actually androids, they're cyborgs.  The character who made them was in Dragon Ball and made an evil cyborg.  I think they're only called androids in the English version.

What really gets me is that all the good guys have been through so much training in their lives, and finally achieved enough power to barely be a match for the Galaxy's evil overlord.  And then some human scientist goes and artificially creates multiple fighters that are individually capable of kicking the shit out of all of them at the same time.

Like, yay, training!  Except not...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23334 on: July 10, 2015, 10:21:44 pm »

... uh. EH? I'm not sure if you realized it, but they're not talking about DBZ.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23335 on: July 10, 2015, 10:22:54 pm »

Wow, my life, fuck it.

...I thought i didn't remember the DBZ androids having a limited lifespan.

Edit: And now I'm going to be getting updates of this thread for the rest of my life, even though I don't watch much anime.  This is what I get for following links from the OOC thread.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23336 on: July 10, 2015, 10:36:46 pm »

Yeah. Just watched the english subtitle version of Dragon Ball Super ep1. It's not bad, even just as an intro episode. It just reestablishes that characters are exactly like they were before. It almost takes cues from DBZA in some places (Goku's horrible fathering and complete abandonment of Chichi as soon as possible).

Yeah because Goku was NEVER a terrible father before hand :P

Ohh wait :P

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23337 on: July 10, 2015, 10:53:26 pm »

Yeah, but now it's like Toriyama has watched DBZA and thought "Actually, that is exactly what I was trying to portray. Exactly. Goku is a horrible person as a family man."

Then again, Chichi going for the money and just wanting an occasional booty-call seemed a bit weird too. She's either so used to it, or just wanted the money all along. She used to get pissed at Goku's attitude, now it's like "Good. Fuck off. I really don't need you any more."

It just came off as weird to my mind.
It's a game. Have fun.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23338 on: July 10, 2015, 10:56:15 pm »

Wow, my life, fuck it.

...I thought i didn't remember the DBZ androids having a limited lifespan.

Edit: And now I'm going to be getting updates of this thread for the rest of my life, even though I don't watch much anime.  This is what I get for following links from the OOC thread.
My bad.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23339 on: July 10, 2015, 10:59:44 pm »

Yeah, but now it's like Toriyama has watched DBZA and thought "Actually, that is exactly what I was trying to portray. Exactly. Goku is a horrible person as a family man."

Then again, Chichi going for the money and just wanting an occasional booty-call seemed a bit weird too. She's either so used to it, or just wanted the money all along. She used to get pissed at Goku's attitude, now it's like "Good. Fuck off. I really don't need you any more."

It just came off as weird to my mind.

I understand that.

Though I also know that Goku actually didn't know he was married, doesn't know where babies came from even after the fact, and also said Chichi ruined his son because of all that schooling. That and most of the time it seems like the only way Chichi can get him to do anything is by yelling at him to do it.
Pages: 1 ... 1554 1555 [1556] 1557 1558 ... 2193