Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 [1542] 1543 1544 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057711 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23115 on: June 26, 2015, 10:56:56 am »

I'm noticing a disturbing trend in Psycho-Pass... All of the lesbians are latent criminals!

I mean, talk about bad representation. Any time lesbian sex/relationships are implied, it's always either between two latent criminals, or a latent criminal seducing someone who isn't. I thought this was supposed to be a utopia, not a fascist state!

A Japanese utopia also would be extremely unlikely to represent western values in any meaningful sense.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23116 on: June 26, 2015, 11:12:39 am »

I watched Baki the Grappler OVA. It as cool, if a little painful to watch, like the fighting induces ghost pain I mean, it just looked so painful I flinched. It was really cool though, I liked it.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23117 on: June 26, 2015, 11:21:30 am »

I just watched 34 episodes of FMA:B straight yesterday. On the plus side, SOO GOOOD. And I'm finally finished this series. On the other hand, my ears hurt from wearing headphones this long and I've got headaches from sleep deprivation. And I also missed a couple crucial plot points because they randomly started putting plot stuff after the ending song thingy. I'd have been fine if they'd done that from the start, or done it consistently, but it seemed to be done completely randomly. : |
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23118 on: June 26, 2015, 11:44:46 am »

I just watched 34 episodes of FMA:B straight yesterday. On the plus side, SOO GOOOD. And I'm finally finished this series. On the other hand, my ears hurt from wearing headphones this long and I've got headaches from sleep deprivation.
Jeez. 34 episodes, assuming there's ~22 minutes of content an episode, is ~12 straight hours of anime. I feel tired just thinking of watching for that long.

I think last time I binged anime was the second season of Gurren Lagann in one day and by the time I was done I just wanted it to be over so I could do something else and forget about the headache I developed.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23119 on: June 26, 2015, 11:49:08 am »

I'm noticing a disturbing trend in Psycho-Pass... All of the lesbians are latent criminals!

I mean, talk about bad representation. Any time lesbian sex/relationships are implied, it's always either between two latent criminals, or a latent criminal seducing someone who isn't. I thought this was supposed to be a utopia, not a fascist state!

It's a society that has a machine that automatically weeds out anyone who "deviates" from an ideal psychological profile.  Draw your own conclusions about what the writers are implying. Also:
Spoiler: minor theme spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:08:21 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23120 on: June 26, 2015, 01:29:16 pm »

Spoiler: Ep1 of Psycho-Pass (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23121 on: June 26, 2015, 01:51:47 pm »

Spoiler: Ep1 of Psycho-Pass (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23122 on: June 27, 2015, 08:18:46 am »

So how come anime music is so awesome compared to western animation? I don't remember a single cartoon where I thought the music was awesome, but every anime I watch seems to have awesome music, save maybe Shippuden.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23123 on: June 27, 2015, 08:21:22 am »

Probably due to Anime being main-stream entertainment in Japan.  The US still tends to relegate 'anime' to 'kid's show', so less investment.

Edit: Sorry, that was unclear and incomplete, I meant that animation as a whole is treated as 'kid's stuff' and therefor receives less attention from its developers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:24:15 am by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23124 on: June 27, 2015, 08:55:22 am »

I watched Summer Wars, a movie by MadHouse. The animation was pretty decent, it has its cool moments and a cool premise, but it is really dragged down by how its plot devolves into "Stupid Videogame Bullshit" super fast. It kills the suspense and immersion just utterly when the show is pretending that these videogame characters fighting amounts to any amount of shit-squat. I can't recommend it at all. Four thumbs down.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23125 on: June 27, 2015, 09:53:46 am »

Yeah Summer Wars was my least favorite by that director (he did The girl who leapt through time and Ame and Yuki the wolf children). It was like two disjointed movies stuck together, and they detracted from each other rather than added.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23126 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:01 am »

Now, Wolf Children was just excellent storytelling, I was very impressed with that piece.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23127 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:20 am »

Yeah Summer Wars was my least favorite by that director (he did The girl who leapt through time and Ame and Yuki the wolf children). It was like two disjointed movies stuck together, and they detracted from each other rather than added.

I've actually seen both of those movies, and that IS jarring considering both of those movies were super god-tier entertainment experiences.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23128 on: June 27, 2015, 10:02:20 am »

One I did like and no-one is talking about was Patema Inverted, which is by the guy behind Eve no Jikan and Pale Cocoon.

And I found out there's a Barefoot Gen 2. I'm kinda amazed and have to check this out. That would be like making Grave of the Fireflies 2.

Also, a few minutes ago I started watching a movie called Tekkon Kinkreet. This looks cool.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:05:48 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23129 on: June 27, 2015, 09:33:52 pm »

Ok... I have to admit... it was pretty funny

Dungeon basically did the "The hero falls into the women's bath" scene... Except instead of screaming and beating him they just... flat out didn't care. Bell cared more than everyone else.
Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 [1542] 1543 1544 ... 2193