Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1526 1527 [1528] 1529 1530 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057712 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22905 on: May 31, 2015, 12:55:34 am »

When you insert yourself into a character you aren't so much pretending you are them

It is supposed to feel... interchangeable so to speak. Like you COULD be in that situation, like you could imagine yourself there.

And when you do that you usually start to fill in details yourself.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22906 on: May 31, 2015, 02:21:25 am »

We already have a word for this: "empathy". If you read up the definitions of empathy, you can see it's a pretty good fit for what we are talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy

Empathy is the capacity to understand what another person is experiencing from within the other person's frame of reference, i.e., the capacity to place oneself in another's shoes.

Empathy has many different definitions that encompass a broad range of emotional states, including caring for other people and having a desire to help them; experiencing emotions that match another person's emotions; discerning what another person is thinking or feeling; and making less distinct the differences between the self and the other.

It also is the ability to feel and share another person’s emotions. Some believe that empathy involves the ability to match another’s emotions, while others believe that empathy involves being tenderhearted toward another person. Compassion and sympathy are two terms that many associate with empathy, but all three of these terms are unique. Compassion is an emotion we feel when others are in need, which motivates us to help them. Sympathy is a feeling of care and understanding for someone in need. It can also be understood as having the separateness of defining oneself and another blur.

So, empathy blurs the distinction between the self and the other, you're meant to get inside their head and experience the same emotions that the character is. It doesn't mean you want to be them or even want to be in that situation yourself, it just means you're immersed in their "headspace", and that effect is enhanced by making the character someone the viewer can relate to.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:22:56 am by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22907 on: May 31, 2015, 03:28:18 am »

After waiting for the English dub for so long and finding out that it's been released, I finally watched the third Madoka Magica movie: Rebellion.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:30:05 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22908 on: May 31, 2015, 04:15:53 am »

After waiting for the English dub for so long and finding out that it's been released, I finally watched the third Madoka Magica movie: Rebellion.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:27:38 am by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22909 on: May 31, 2015, 04:29:54 am »

All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22910 on: May 31, 2015, 04:33:24 am »

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:47:49 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22911 on: May 31, 2015, 10:17:59 am »

People talking about escapist media is always the weirdest thing to me. It's, like. I tend to enjoy it to a fair degree -- I read sci-fi/fantasy stuff almost exclusively, due to the flat fact that things without it is generally either boring or superfluous* to me -- but the concept of putting yourself in a character's place, just. I've never really been able to grok it. Even first person stuff hasn't clicked like that for me. I enjoy reading the stuff because it has amusing scenarios with characters scurrying about in them, but to actually put myself in a character's position is just... ugh. Zero appeal, almost zero comprehension.

Personal attachment to characters in the whole escapist sense is just weird to me. More power to folks that enjoy that, but it's basically an entirely alien mindset. Can't really get the whole substitute self for <character> thing. It's more interesting watching them suffer.

*If I want the real world, I will look outside, y'know? Day to day drama bullshit or history fulfills just about anything real-world media can give me, costs less, and has potential benefits.

I've argued the same thing before, I don't really get it either.
I don't watch anime because I want to pretend to be someone else, I do it because I want to be told a story. I want to see interesting tales about other people.
The amount of people who actually try to mentally pretend to be fictional characters are probably pretty small, though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm of much the same opinion. What I'm getting at is that a large portion of the audience for such things, particularly the more puerile sort, do use them to build power fantasies and so forth. This in turn encourages the translation and creation of series which cater to that audience -- it's how we move from Asimov through Roddenberry to Cameron, or more generally from anything which is creative and thoughtful towards things which discard all other merits in the pursuit of the ideal that sells well. Fanfiction is actually an excellent metric of this part of the audience; not only are the majority of stories written some sort of power fantasy or SI/OC rubbish, so too are the most popular trashy stories. PLH's writing is a quintessential example of how popular this sort of lazy, bad writing can be, and ff.net provides a good overview of the sort of people who popularize it; you'll find a similar mindset in a lot of anime review sites.

This isn't meant to be some sort of nostalgia trip, but I do think the argument could be made that across a number of media there's been a significant uptick in the proportion of crappy series:total series translated/published in the U.S. over the past few decades, and that it's rooted at least in part in a popular desire for that sort of crap specifically. I'm rather inclined towards "genre" fiction myself, for much the same reasons you two are, but it's concerning to see quality work being edged out by crap, especially in a medium like this where we're wholly dependent on licensed and fan translations to access series; I'd rather watch a good SoL or sports series than a mediocre SF/F series any day, and when most of the SF/F series available are catering to the lowest common denominator while also pushing other things out...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22912 on: May 31, 2015, 10:47:30 am »

Aw yeah Terra Formars.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22913 on: May 31, 2015, 04:00:43 pm »

We already have a word for this: "empathy". If you read up the definitions of empathy, you can see it's a pretty good fit for what we are talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy

Empathy is the capacity to understand what another person is experiencing from within the other person's frame of reference, i.e., the capacity to place oneself in another's shoes.

Empathy has many different definitions that encompass a broad range of emotional states, including caring for other people and having a desire to help them; experiencing emotions that match another person's emotions; discerning what another person is thinking or feeling; and making less distinct the differences between the self and the other.

It also is the ability to feel and share another person’s emotions. Some believe that empathy involves the ability to match another’s emotions, while others believe that empathy involves being tenderhearted toward another person. Compassion and sympathy are two terms that many associate with empathy, but all three of these terms are unique. Compassion is an emotion we feel when others are in need, which motivates us to help them. Sympathy is a feeling of care and understanding for someone in need. It can also be understood as having the separateness of defining oneself and another blur.

So, empathy blurs the distinction between the self and the other, you're meant to get inside their head and experience the same emotions that the character is. It doesn't mean you want to be them or even want to be in that situation yourself, it just means you're immersed in their "headspace", and that effect is enhanced by making the character someone the viewer can relate to.

I can understand empathy, that's a pretty easy concept.
Though I don't believe a person should always have to be able to empathize or relate to the protagonist of a series, nor that every person is going to be able to do so with any specific character. I've seen quite a few people who outright refused to keep watching something just because "I couldn't relate to the main character."
Well, you aren't always supposed to.

I assume a certain amount of people become so used to "headspacing" into protagonists that they can't comprehend why someone would watch/read something otherwise.

Aw yeah Terra Formars.

Don't mention Terra Formars.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22914 on: May 31, 2015, 05:24:57 pm »

I just kind of realized something.

If there ever was a Bleach My Little Pony crossover

They would probably reveal that Ichigo was actually half-pony the whole time.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22915 on: May 31, 2015, 05:25:39 pm »

That's...
Why were you even thinking about something like that? I mean, its probably true, but why?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22916 on: May 31, 2015, 06:30:40 pm »

One way to find out.

sweet mother of zeus there's a 728k word one

rated M

do not want
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22917 on: May 31, 2015, 09:43:08 pm »

Seems its that time again as the Summer anime season comes:

http://anichart.net/summer

Quite interested in a some of them (Like GATE, God Eater, Himouto & Chaos Dragon) & would of course love more of the past favorites of mine like Aria, Durarara & Working!!!.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22918 on: May 31, 2015, 11:43:20 pm »

I knew it was only a matter of time before Gakkou Gurashi got an anime adaptation.

Also I'll call it now, Chaos Dragon will be shit but somehow manage to get a rabid fanbase.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22919 on: May 31, 2015, 11:54:31 pm »

Dude it's Nasu vs Urobutchi, no matter how it turns out we still win, be it from awesome or from laughing at em. (Though probably the latter) :P

More seriously, even if it turns out bad I'm expecting it will not be traditional shit at the very least considering the source material, and I'm actually surprised at how little attention I've seen it get overall so far considering what said source material is. Looking forward to it a ton personally. (If you haven't already noticed from my splurging about it back when it was first announced)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:32:56 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1526 1527 [1528] 1529 1530 ... 2193