Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1505 1506 [1507] 1508 1509 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058443 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22590 on: May 12, 2015, 06:57:30 pm »

*waggles hand* Manga started in '02, ended 2010, anime aired in '06. Not really that old.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #22591 on: May 12, 2015, 07:02:48 pm »

I consider that old. Sure, it's not Gundam Original, but '06 is old enough.

I'm gonna have to read that manga... :v
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22592 on: May 12, 2015, 08:00:12 pm »

I kind of class things on how the visuals have dated. a lot of 2006/2007 animes have "murky" coloring that you wouldn't find in a current show. Those ones haven't dated so well. They may not be that old, but many of them "feel" old.

But then you have some examples such as Mushishi or Haruhi Suzimiya, which could visually stand along the current season without standing out despite being almost 10 years old. I think that period was when studios were still getting to grips with the digital ink process (which really started in the late 1990s). By about 2009 even the shittiest cheapest shows had crisp use of digital coloring. There's much less difference between the average 2009 show and a 2015 show than between the average 2007 show to 2009.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:06:02 pm by Reelya »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22593 on: May 12, 2015, 11:18:08 pm »

they look like high schoolers now, instead of 20 year olds pretending to be high schoolers

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22594 on: May 13, 2015, 12:08:15 am »

I just watched episode 18 of the current JoJo's Bizarre Adventure season.

Jotaro hat.

Wat

That is all.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22595 on: May 13, 2015, 12:28:12 am »

Haters gonna hate, but I'm gonna talk just a bit more about Bleach. Last and second-last episodes, specifically.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22596 on: May 13, 2015, 12:35:25 am »

Well, I really liked it, personally. Never heard of it before I got it off one of my friends, though. It seems really old, since it wasn't in 1080P.

What anime convention?
The local one and its terrible. Most of the panels are run by weeaboos cept the ones with VAs. Their award judge panel are some real idiots that disregard their own rules. Also half the population for some reason shows up as Homestuck fans, seriously? At least the LARP guys beat them up for hogging up the hill.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22597 on: May 13, 2015, 04:53:58 am »

Anyone know when F/SN is getting dubbed in English? My heart yearns for some Unlimited Budget Works after the epicness that was F/Z.

Gilgamesh was the coolest.
Iskandar was the awesomest.
Berserker was the badassest.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22598 on: May 13, 2015, 08:52:02 am »

I just watched Studio Ghibli's 2014 film When Marnie Was There. It was a pretty awesome experience. Visually it was amazing, and I felt the characters were more relatable than the more recent Miyazaki / Takahata films. Hiromasa Yonebayashi (who also did Arrietty) is definitely looking like the upcoming top director at Ghibli now

It's the second Ghibli film directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, and I enjoyed it more than many of the Miyazaki / Isahata films. The closest previous Ghibli film to Marnie was Isao Takahata's 1991 film Only Yesterday. If you like one, I recommend checking out the other.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:05:22 am by Reelya »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22599 on: May 13, 2015, 02:38:33 pm »

Anyone know when F/SN is getting dubbed in English? My heart yearns for some Unlimited Budget Works after the epicness that was F/Z.
Aniplex picked it up, so we will probably eventually see an english dub, but there's no announced plans as of yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22600 on: May 13, 2015, 10:52:41 pm »

So I got fed up at looking at none of my shows updating with new episodes so I clicked on a random one called "My Love Story!!!"

Read the description about the main character not being attractive and being described as a "Gorilla" and I was like "SUUUUURE! I bet you he is really attractive but has like a weird nose or a scar..." but no he is anime unattractive (as in he would be considered unattractive in any anime and would NEVER be the main character of any ordinary anime).

As well what I do like about it is that his best friend is so attractive that he gets all the girls.

And unlike MOST anime where your like "What the heck do you see in this guy?" this anime actually goes the extra mile. He shows such little personality towards girls that they basically have started to invent his personality. Don't get me wrong he has a personality, he is just hard to open up.

In fact the only weird thing about the anime is that they put a lot of emphasis on how him and this guy shouldn't be best friends... but honestly? They feel like best friends from the getgo.

It is also has an odd number of Yaoi foreshadowing but my friend told me that unless the anime was Yaoi it wasn't going to happen. I SWEAR that must be the twist in here or something.

---

WOW... It is... surprisingly good.

They even give a good reason why the best friend never liked any of the girls who confessed to him.

There is ONE reason why it is better then the vast majority of romance Animes... and I'll put it in spoilers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goodness has that often been the noose around an anime's neck.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:05:52 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22601 on: May 14, 2015, 03:03:48 am »

I SWEAR that must be the twist in here or something.

No, it's shoujo. Yaoi subtext is not uncommon. Same as yuri subtext in harem shows for guys. But it's also not uncommon to hint at stuff but never deliver. That keeps the niche viewers interested without turning off the mainstream crowd.

There are many things you might get subtext about but they will never elaborate on, because they lead to plot derails that the writers won't be able to re-rail. A series writer's #1 priority is keeping the overarching plot on the rails.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22602 on: May 14, 2015, 03:44:59 pm »

So I got fed up at looking at none of my shows updating with new episodes so I clicked on a random one called "My Love Story!!!"

Read the description about the main character not being attractive and being described as a "Gorilla" and I was like "SUUUUURE! I bet you he is really attractive but has like a weird nose or a scar..." but no he is anime unattractive (as in he would be considered unattractive in any anime and would NEVER be the main character of any ordinary anime).

Pretty sure it's not the nose that makes him ugly.
Spoiler: from the intro (click to show/hide)
I'd say everything about him is out of proportion except the nose. Huge hands, huge lips, huge broad body. It makes me wonder what the guy's official height is. Everyone else compared to him is tiny. It's stated he's just graduating from junior high, so I guess he and all his classmates aren't at a "fully grown" height yet, but he's humongous nonetheless. He has to crouch to fit through the doors of his junior high school.

Seems entertaining though, will give this series a try.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22603 on: May 14, 2015, 03:48:52 pm »

He is at LEAST 7 feet tall. He is shown needing to duck under door frames.

And Sure I think it is worth a look.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22604 on: May 14, 2015, 03:50:45 pm »

Pretty sure it's not the nose that makes him ugly.

That's what Neon's saying, I think.  Neon expected it to have some trivial deformity like an Escaflowne nose or a scar but be otherwise 95% bishie, and instead was pleased to find that by "gorilla" the description actually meant that the main character is a full-on gonk out of, say, Cromartie.  ^_^

EDIT: Ah, and you actually posted in between.  Never mind, then.
Pages: 1 ... 1505 1506 [1507] 1508 1509 ... 2193