Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1501 1502 [1503] 1504 1505 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058287 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22530 on: May 08, 2015, 01:59:10 am »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #22531 on: May 08, 2015, 02:07:57 am »

SEED is the only Gundam series I actually dropped. I think I made it about 4 episodes in, realized I still had no idea who anyone was, what they were fighting about, or even if they were fighting at all (one guy seemed totally disconnected from the plot when a battle just kind of occurred around him out of nowhere, and I wasn't sure if he was at school or not while it happened). 00 is still great, though.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22532 on: May 08, 2015, 06:12:53 am »

You probably wouldn't like Gundam Reconquista either. I had the "wtf is going on" thing for 20+ episodes. Then it ended. I still don't know who over half the characters were, what the deal with all the factions was or what the point of it is. New factions entered and left the story all the time. For example, in the middle they'd introduce some new faction or group every episode or two, then they'd be onto the next lot before you could work out which side people were even on.  It was very disjointed. And not in an "episodic" way. If it was standalone episodes I might have had a chance of working out what was going on.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:18:10 am by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22533 on: May 08, 2015, 06:52:52 am »

I reckon Full Hollow Ichigo could've killed Aizen in his cocoon form, maybe even the form after that. Why? He only had one sleeve when he fought Ulquiorra. He was fighting at less than half power.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22534 on: May 08, 2015, 08:19:07 am »

SEED is the only Gundam series I actually dropped. I think I made it about 4 episodes in, realized I still had no idea who anyone was, what they were fighting about, or even if they were fighting at all (one guy seemed totally disconnected from the plot when a battle just kind of occurred around him out of nowhere, and I wasn't sure if he was at school or not while it happened). 00 is still great, though.

It's kinda supposed to be that way though. Something about normal kids living normal lives when suddenly the war intrudes on their home so they must take up the call and fight to defend what they hold dear. Then you're supposed to learn more about them as they tackle the challenges set in front of them and something something something. I'm not putting it into words too well.

Except of course the original Gundam did this whole situation better and set up the characters and their relationships better than SEED. Or at least the original series didn't drag its feet as much when it came to doing so. Which is what I really hated about SEED, that it spent so much time on so little. When 3/4ths of the first ~12 episodes is spent on characters talking to each other, they better be pretty damn interesting characters. Considering which series we're talking about... Actually I liked Mu and the other officers. A shame that they barely got any screentime so that less likable ones could hog it. I'm looking at you, Kira and Flay. Go take a swim in a sharktank, Flay.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22535 on: May 08, 2015, 08:36:02 am »

I reckon Full Hollow Ichigo could've killed Aizen in his cocoon form, maybe even the form after that. Why? He only had one sleeve when he fought Ulquiorra. He was fighting at less than half power.
Well, there was also what little was left of his...pants, I s'pose.
And Full Hollow Ichigo may not operate on the same rules as Bankai Ichigo, so that's just a maybe at best.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22536 on: May 08, 2015, 08:39:47 am »

Well, there was also what little was left of his...pants, I s'pose.
And Full Hollow Ichigo may not operate on the same rules as Bankai Ichigo, so that's just a maybe at best.

I just find this conversation hilarious as you guys are trying to decipher was is more dramatic power as opposed to hard power.

Which is kind of the jarring things in Bleach is that switch.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #22537 on: May 08, 2015, 09:36:27 am »

Whyyyy have we gone back to discussing Bleach again?

Despite what my avatar would otherwise say, that anime is pretty eh~~~. It actually has a really cool initial concept, but I feel like it didn't go in the best direction. (Ignoring that that direction lead to Ul's existence.)

Also, comparing power levels in anime like that at the high tiers just doesn't work. There are no proper reference points. FHI curbstomped Ulquiorra but Ulquiorra was never seen 'equalled.' He was either dramatically more or less powerful than his opponents and we have no clear idea of just how strong he really was (the Espada ranking system was pretty iffy.)
FHI may have kicked the crap out of Aizen, but he also may have been destroyed in turn.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22538 on: May 08, 2015, 10:01:52 am »

Oh, that reminds me, anyone seen Tiger&Bunny?
I like it, the first episode has some pretty blaring CGI (especially when it's painfully obvious the faces are still handdrawn while the mask around it is CGI, and that one dude who has an exposed face as CGI too.) but it gets better with the animation for it and it starts looking way more fluid and all around more buttery.
It's based around a world where at some point in the future 50 years ago people started popping up with supah powahs, they called them NEXTs, and quite soon, a television show developed around the ones with stronger moral compasses, kinda making a reality show outta heros.
That's not what the show focuses on, though, as awesome as something like that might have been, it mostly goes around focusing on the personal relationships with the main SuperHero characters, and I quite like it, so you guys might too.
i saw that one liked it a little bit nothing in particular i dislike about it and definetaly not one of my favorites.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22539 on: May 08, 2015, 01:22:28 pm »

The Bleach anime is pretty meh, the manga on the other hand is rather engaging.  Tite likes curb-stomp battles with sudden reversals, there will not ever be an 'equal' fight in Bleach.  Filler arcs are excluded by virtue of being mindless drivel... Worthless mother effing 'bount' arc.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:24:10 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22540 on: May 08, 2015, 07:09:09 pm »

Let's just remove the filler arcs from memory. It's for the best....

As for 'equal' fights, I'd say that the last one in the Bleach anime was good. I mean it was still uneven, but it wasn't really 'curb-stomp'. Ichigo vs Grimmjow was pretty good too.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22541 on: May 08, 2015, 08:06:20 pm »

You probably wouldn't like Gundam Reconquista either. I had the "wtf is going on" thing for 20+ episodes. Then it ended. I still don't know who over half the characters were, what the deal with all the factions was or what the point of it is. New factions entered and left the story all the time. For example, in the middle they'd introduce some new faction or group every episode or two, then they'd be onto the next lot before you could work out which side people were even on.  It was very disjointed. And not in an "episodic" way. If it was standalone episodes I might have had a chance of working out what was going on.
Even Tomino agrees its a mess...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-04-24/yoshiyuki-tomino-admits-story-problems-in-gundam-reconguista/.87449
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22542 on: May 08, 2015, 09:12:43 pm »

Meh, the show made plenty of sense to me, and I really enjoyed it and kept track of things fine. Pacing was messed up, but that was unavoidable since the plot was designed with the usual 50 episode structure out of habit when Tomino's age means that he can't do more than a 25 episode show without concerns for his health.

Though Tomino criticizing his own work isn't very unusual. He's really critical of himself. Every time Victory Gundam gets a new media release he makes them be packaged with comments from him saying that people shouldn't watch it, and a while back he made an announcement about how hiring Syd Mead to design the MS in Turn A Gundam was a mistake. Also if you actually read the article he says that he still likes it personally, and feels that it will be vindicated in years to come.

Supposedly the original article ANN used as a source had misrepresented the interview for clickbait anyways, though the quotes had happened.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:57:24 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22543 on: May 09, 2015, 07:11:55 am »

re: fics: Well no shit you gotta be discerning, Sturgeon's revelation and all that. A good starting point is with EarthScorpion, both AGSItV and Overlady are fantastic, and both rely on a failed summoning rather than "X character is summoned instead of the dickish pervert."

No time for a proper overview 'cause I'm sitting to take the GRE in about ten minutes, ciao!
First one's pretty fascinating, but it feels like it's slow as hell. Haven't gotten into the second one.

Part of the problem may be that I don't actually like any of these characters, so watching them do slightly less stupid shit isn't especially appealing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22544 on: May 09, 2015, 04:27:15 pm »

re: fics: Well no shit you gotta be discerning, Sturgeon's revelation and all that. A good starting point is with EarthScorpion, both AGSItV and Overlady are fantastic, and both rely on a failed summoning rather than "X character is summoned instead of the dickish pervert."

No time for a proper overview 'cause I'm sitting to take the GRE in about ten minutes, ciao!
First one's pretty fascinating, but it feels like it's slow as hell. Haven't gotten into the second one.

Part of the problem may be that I don't actually like any of these characters, so watching them do slightly less stupid shit isn't especially appealing.

Yes, it starts building slowly... but after a certain point, hoo boy.

I can certainly appreciate that; it's just the opposite for me. A lot of fanfiction I enjoy specifically because I enjoy seeing generally boring, unlikeable characters who could have been compelling taken in a new direction (though of course most stories end up making them even more boring and less likable).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1501 1502 [1503] 1504 1505 ... 2193