Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1479 1480 [1481] 1482 1483 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061585 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22200 on: April 25, 2015, 04:43:31 am »

Ok I have to give cred to "Dungeon Ni Deai Wo Moto... UGH NAME TOO LONG!" or as it is known in English "Is it ok to pick up girls in a dungeon?" or something like that.

Usually when an anime has a bland uninteresting romance it puts it square center at behest of more interesting things.

This is SOOO FAR one of the only Anime I've seen where the boring romantic main plot is actually relegated to the side to develop slowly while all the good relationships develop front and center.

I admit I expected the WORST when one of the main characters was a huge breasted child-mentality girl as well as another "Size of boobs argument"... but so far... I think I like this anime.

---

As a side note I think I understand why I hate the size of boob jokes and arguments.

It is essentially like the author is having girls fight over who can turn him on the most and presenting it as a fight "all women" are in.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:51:00 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22201 on: April 25, 2015, 04:57:44 am »

Episode 1 of Dungeon had some amusing ideas in it, though I stopped there since all the major plot points already seem predicatable. And the running gag about everyone having actual D&D stats seems like it'll wear thin really quickly. Everyone in town delves into this dungeon trying to raise their stats. It's basically the game Diablo, but as a harem comedy.

Maybe you can tell me how far off the mark my guesses are Neonivek. This is my current theory:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If there are any actual interesting plot developments then i might give it another shot.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:02:54 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22202 on: April 25, 2015, 05:07:21 am »

The gag where everyone has dnd stats is because... well... It is based off of a game to my knowledge (One of the Japanese Wizardry-like ones to be specific I forgot the name but I recognize the art)

It is literally a game world and what they did is they translated how the videogame would work in actuality. So it actually wasn't a joke.

Also yeah the show definitely has a Harem quality, but it never EVER pretends like the main character is going to pick anyone else except maybe Hastie. Most of them are just dear friends.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:11:46 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22203 on: April 25, 2015, 05:18:57 am »

It is literally a game world and what they did is they translated how the videogame would work in actuality. So it actually wasn't a joke.

No, it's the joke. The entire existence of a world where adventurers discuss their STR and AGI scores. That is the gag. And since it's an ongoing thing, it's a running gag like I said.

Other shows adapt games and "de-gamify" things to bring out the core story. This one uses the gimmick of keeping the game stats and having everyone be aware of the stats. Whereas in actual games, the characters do not normally have discussions about their actual stats. Actually I thought it was a light novel and not an actual game, but whichever. It's definitely a gimmick and not a "well it's game-related so you always get that" thing.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:26:34 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22204 on: April 25, 2015, 05:25:50 am »

No I don't mean "game related" I mean it is literally a game universe where people have "stats" and I THINK levels (but judging by episode 4... there are no actual levels. People get a rank from S-F about how good they are and get licenses).

I certainly find it charming

Most things de-gameify things to the point where it no longer feels like the same universe (and often isn't). This is one of the few ones where not only does it keep many of its game elements (monsters dying and turning into money) but it fully embraces it.

For example I have NEVER EVER seen any of the Tales Animes feature the magic cooking pots with characters munching on a grilled cheese sandwich before battle.

Edit: Nevermind there are levels... but apparently you don't need to gain a level for stats they are independent.

---

Heck the WORST is probably Valkyria Chronicles where not only did it eliminate the game elements from the anime, but it also eliminates the game elements supported by in universe inventions.

I spent hours reading the lore and finding out that the ore in the game pretty much is what all technology is based on... and that the field medic can actually save lives who are in almost any condition if she can get to them.

In the actual anime? You could be forgiven for forgetting that metal even exists.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:52:46 am by Neonivek »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22205 on: April 25, 2015, 06:42:34 am »

Sounds interesting. Kinda like how Order of the Stick does it.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22206 on: April 25, 2015, 03:09:29 pm »

idk, Ghoul didn't do much for me, especially season 2. I like Parasyte much better for that sort of thing. Highly recommend getting onto that.

Try Terraformars as well. (Just switch source if you get a censored version, it was censored on CrunchyRoll for the first few episodes). It's not winning awards for the story, but it's as gory as Tokyo Ghoul and has a higher bodycount than Attack on Titan.

Bluh bluh but mah racist colonialist imagery bluh. Just to get that out of the way.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22207 on: April 25, 2015, 04:05:36 pm »

Ok I have to give cred to "Dungeon Ni Deai Wo Moto... UGH NAME TOO LONG!"
... they gender swapped Hephaestus. And would appear to have gotten the wrong injury. I... I don't know what to think, now. Though I do kinda' like how they just sorta' flipped where the maiming was located along with his gender. Leg to eye, that's actually a little subtle.

Also the name on that main goddess really bodes poorly for her apparent interest in the shotatag's D.

E: And suddenly the norse arrive. Hello loki. I see you're doing the shapeshifting thing again. Please no horrific monstrosities flowing from your loins ;_;

E2: Also loki getting in a slap fight because of the size his tits is somehow delightfully absurd. I like this. It's even surprisingly in character! A thing loki would totally do. I get the feeling it's entirely unintentional on the part of the writer(s?) though.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:17:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22208 on: April 25, 2015, 05:02:24 pm »

E2: Also loki getting in a slap fight because of the size his tits is somehow delightfully absurd. I like this. It's even surprisingly in character! A thing loki would totally do. I get the feeling it's entirely unintentional on the part of the writer(s?) though.

Now he just has to try to cut them off with a pair of scissors and it would be perfect!

Yeah Loki could be incredibly petty.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:06:27 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22209 on: April 25, 2015, 07:18:32 pm »

Spoiler: FSN (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22210 on: April 25, 2015, 08:38:07 pm »

Spoiler: FSN (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22211 on: April 25, 2015, 09:05:05 pm »

So here is a question for Naruto fans...

Does Hinata get depowered at any point? I've noticed that the last time I saw her she was defeated quite... pathetically... Like REALLY easily...

I mean I know the manga she was always useless and only the anime made her awesome but the movie I saw was based on the anime not the manga so she was allowed to still be awesome.

Goodness is the list of "Female characters who should be awesome but need to suck because otherwise there wouldn't be a damsel to save" is getting large.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22212 on: April 25, 2015, 09:40:54 pm »

Huh. The art and whatnot for the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor manwha-thing is better than I was expecting it to be. Neat.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22213 on: April 25, 2015, 10:19:31 pm »

So here is a question for Naruto fans...

Does Hinata get depowered at any point? I've noticed that the last time I saw her she was defeated quite... pathetically... Like REALLY easily...

I mean I know the manga she was always useless and only the anime made her awesome but the movie I saw was based on the anime not the manga so she was allowed to still be awesome.

Goodness is the list of "Female characters who should be awesome but need to suck because otherwise there wouldn't be a damsel to save" is getting large.

What do you expect the answer to be? Regardless of medium, Naruto is one of the poster children for series in which female characters are systematically trivialized and marginalized.

Huh. The art and whatnot for the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor manwha-thing is better than I was expecting it to be. Neat.
Does it? I might need to see about picking up a legit copy somewhere, since the rip-translations tend to just be text and I haven't found any official English translations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22214 on: April 25, 2015, 10:27:42 pm »

No... well, if I'm understanding you. What I mean is the korean web-comic type thing that's been started up recently for LMS is pretty nicely done, at least for what I've seen so far (which is like the first 2, of 12, chapters). Not talking about any LN illustrations or whatev'. Zero clue if there's any official translations for it.

Unless that's what you're talking about, in which case I didn't even know there were plain text translations for the thing. I... I'm not even sure why you'd read that, since the actual LN is entirely text and why not just go read that instead and... anyway.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1479 1480 [1481] 1482 1483 ... 2193