Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1446 1447 [1448] 1449 1450 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061827 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21705 on: March 23, 2015, 09:32:22 pm »

Oh god, the kawaii here is killing me. I'm going back to snobbish, social-commentary anime.

Speaking of which, anyone watch patlabor and the sequel? I saw the sequel, was pretty good. Fun mechs. Although, a few of the characters were just retarded. Mainly the gung-ho guy who blows every plan.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21706 on: March 23, 2015, 09:35:16 pm »

The OVAs are fantastic, the TV show is goofy but still good.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21707 on: March 23, 2015, 09:52:43 pm »

Hey, anyone know any anime where the protag is actually...intelligent? I mean I love stuff like Fairy Tail and such where everybody's brain is stuck on "attack attack attack" but I also kinda wanna watch some stuff where the good guys aren't always 12 steps behind.

I guess the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Code Geass with Lelouch being the mastermind of the entire plot. Anything similar?

Mononoke, JoJo for the second arc (Battle Tendency), Darker Than Black, Moribito, Akagi, and the obligatory Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21708 on: March 23, 2015, 10:07:03 pm »

Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic, Naussica of the Valley of the Wind (nearly any Ghibli actually), Escaflowne, and if I felt like digging for hours I could find more, but those all have fairly competent protags (and some antags, and even support).  There are still lots of typical anime pratfalls involved, but generally the characters are solid.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21709 on: March 24, 2015, 12:07:17 am »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21710 on: March 24, 2015, 09:08:46 am »

Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic, Naussica of the Valley of the Wind (nearly any Ghibli actually), Escaflowne, and if I felt like digging for hours I could find more, but those all have fairly competent protags (and some antags, and even support).  There are still lots of typical anime pratfalls involved, but generally the characters are solid.
FMP gets bonus points for having a tsundere female lead who is completely and totally justified.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21711 on: March 24, 2015, 09:20:53 am »

Oh god, the kawaii here is killing me. I'm going back to snobbish, social-commentary anime.

Speaking of which, anyone watch patlabor and the sequel? I saw the sequel, was pretty good. Fun mechs. Although, a few of the characters were just retarded. Mainly the gung-ho guy who blows every plan.
I enjoyed it a bit when I watched it, though I didn't see the third movie.  The Griffin felt a little bit like it had stepped in from the wrong series, but it was intended to be a bit overpowering design-wise, so I suppose it works out.  Speaking of, Patlabor also qualifies as another answer for BFEL's question; Ohta and some comedy antics aside, the main protagonists are all generally competent, and Captain Gotou is especially good at manipulation. 

But, yeah, one cannot help but suspect that there's a very good reason why Ohta shares his surname with the person who first suggested the idea of kamikaze flying bombs in World War 2. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:22:46 am by Culise »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21712 on: March 24, 2015, 12:23:42 pm »

Hey, anyone know any anime where the protag is actually...intelligent? I mean I love stuff like Fairy Tail and such where everybody's brain is stuck on "attack attack attack" but I also kinda wanna watch some stuff where the good guys aren't always 12 steps behind.

I guess the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Code Geass with Lelouch being the mastermind of the entire plot. Anything similar?
Not anime, but for manga The Legend of Koizumi features a... well, a protagonist who's not often outwitted, let's put it that way. It does follow THAT WAS MY PLAN ALL ALONG more than fairer methods of intelligence and planning, though.

FMP gets bonus points for having a tsundere female lead who is completely and totally justified.
Oh?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21713 on: March 24, 2015, 12:47:04 pm »

Oh?

I'm not sure if this is what Flying Dice is thinking exactly, but I think it's due to the following. The male lead is tasked by a secret paramilitary organization to protect the female lead due to plot reasons, except his social skills are lacking due to being a child soldier who grew up in war-torn Afghanistan. So the female lead naturally bounces between, "He's so kind and caring and always looks out to protect me (even when he shouldn't)," and "Damn, this guy is (an idiot/overacting/doing something stupid/whatever). I'm going to beat some sense into him." In other words, her tsundereness is justified because she's reacting appropriately to the actions of the male lead, as opposed to it being justified because that's what the writers and fans wanted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21714 on: March 24, 2015, 01:00:48 pm »

Hitsugi no Chaika still has the fact that the protagonists know nothing of the actual plot at the start, but at least two of the three main characters come into the start of the show being at least very proficient at what they do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21715 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:45 pm »

JoJo for the second arc (Battle Tendency),
Jonathan and Jotaro are no slouches either, but since their powers are basically limited to "punch the enemy until he's dead(er)", you don't get the more creative applications of their powers of the later parts (Josuke and Giorno standing out particularly since their powers are the opposite of combat-oriented).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21716 on: March 24, 2015, 04:30:57 pm »

Oh?

Partly what USEC said, and partly this: The male lead is, as mentioned, a social incompetent who was born and raised by mercenaries in Afghanistan, and has never had anything even roughly approximating civilian life. He doesn't really respond much to purely verbal stuff, either. This is pretty much the defining example of the series.

It also helps that she isn't really the over-the-top sort of shit you associate with (among others) a number of the characters voice-acted by Rie Kugimiya, just slightly above-average shouting and head-bopping, usually in response to genuinely deserving situations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21717 on: March 24, 2015, 08:00:06 pm »

Spoiler: Compare this (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: To this (click to show/hide)
I've got to admit, that scene gave me massive chills.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21718 on: March 24, 2015, 08:52:24 pm »

Spoiler: Compare this (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: To this (click to show/hide)
I've got to admit, that scene gave me massive chills.
Woah. Source?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21719 on: March 24, 2015, 08:54:15 pm »

That dawn thing from a page or three ago, I do believe. Akatsuki no Yona.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1446 1447 [1448] 1449 1450 ... 2193