Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1413 1414 [1415] 1416 1417 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067192 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21210 on: February 17, 2015, 08:57:03 am »

-Negima. :V

(Well, to be fair, Evangeline was nearly as brutal as Alucard in certain respects, but the shonen-series-in-Love Hina-clothes isn't for everyone.)

-I vaguely remember Dance in the Vampire Bund at least being sorta-interesting with the way it handled it, lots of ultraviolence and all that, but it got too pedo-baity for me, in a way which you can almost certainly predict given that it's a Japanese production about vampires.

-Hm. Wasn't that one new terrible-but-for-some-reason-people-like-it mecha show about the pilots being space vampires? Heh.

-Blood: The Last Vampire (the film, I mean) was pretty good, given that it was basically just an hour and a half of people and monstrous vampires cutting and shooting the crap out of each other. Didn't have the dark humor of Hellsing of course. Blood+, on the other hand... eesh.

But if you're already watched Hellsing Ultimate and want another good anime series with vampires, there is only one real option.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21211 on: February 17, 2015, 09:05:54 am »

-Hm. Wasn't that one new terrible-but-for-some-reason-people-like-it mecha show about the pilots being space vampires? Heh.
Valvrave: had great space action/mecha battle sequences and great OP songs. The story was very "Code Geass" since it was written by the game guy. Pretty much only good for the action sequences. But some reviewers really like it for the over the top schlockiness. Everything is above absurd, with frequent plot holes twists.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:16:32 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21212 on: February 17, 2015, 09:12:49 am »

Valvrave: had great space action/mecha battle sequences and great OP songs. The story was very "Code Geass" since it was written by the game guy. Pretty much only good for the action sequences. But some reviewers really like it for the over the top schlockiness. Everything is above absurd, with frequent plot holes twists.
I have to admit, I stopped watching after the first episode, just 'cause there were at least five or six moments as absurd and idiotic as the very worst of Cod Geese (if not worse) in a ten or fifteen minute span. The worst of it was that the sequence where the protagonist was flipping out and hitting things in the cockpit yelling about what he wanted for several minutes when the screen directly in front of his face was displaying exactly what he wanted.

3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21213 on: February 17, 2015, 12:52:16 pm »

Finally got around to starting the Ghost in the Shell: Arise series (seeing it's been on netflix for a while now). First two were pretty good, and I'm definitely interested in seeing the next two.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #21214 on: February 17, 2015, 12:54:35 pm »

Those are actually cool. Technobabble is thick, I barely got through - I'm not a native English speaker. Graphics are stunning, though.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21215 on: February 17, 2015, 01:44:51 pm »

Ghost in the Shell is always a good series to watch through. I liked alot of the philosophy that was discussed throughout it; not to mention Section-9 kicks ass.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21216 on: February 17, 2015, 02:33:56 pm »

Arise might be OK compared to anime in general, but it's complete garbage compared to all the other versions of GitS I've seen.  Way too Michael Bay for me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21217 on: February 17, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »

-Negima. :V

(Well, to be fair, Evangeline was nearly as brutal as Alucard in certain respects, but the shonen-series-in-Love Hina-clothes isn't for everyone.)

Did they finally make a proper Negima anime? I've read a fair bit of the earlier portion of the manga (last thing I remember for sure is the time travel thing) but neither anime I know of really tried to be a decent adaptation from what I know.

-I vaguely remember Dance in the Vampire Bund at least being sorta-interesting with the way it handled it, lots of ultraviolence and all that, but it got too pedo-baity for me, in a way which you can almost certainly predict given that it's a Japanese production about vampires.

Seen it, hated it. The anime was so compressed (It's everything I hate about the 13 episode format!) and cut up compared to the manga (which I've barely read) that it was borderline nonsense.

But if you're already watched Hellsing Ultimate and want another good anime series with vampires, there is only one real option.

Afraid I've never foudn those amusing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21218 on: February 17, 2015, 06:51:07 pm »

Yeah, both of those are only worthwhile as manga. I've basically gotten to the point where, if I recommend or suggest something, it's almost certainly the manga unless it was originally anime, because adaptions seem to almost universally suck.

Re: MSN: If you haven't at least gotten to the point where they go to Mars the magic world (and didn't drop it because the entire concept was so terrible that you couldn't stand it any longer), you're missing out, since most of what came before that was still at least nodding towards the possibility of antics.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:52:51 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21219 on: February 17, 2015, 10:19:15 pm »

Has anyone seen the music video for the Death Parade OP yet?

Because I think you should.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21220 on: February 17, 2015, 10:42:56 pm »

Has anyone seen the music video for the Death Parade OP yet?

Because I think you should.

Oh wow, the actual OP sucks in comparison to this. That's amazing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21221 on: February 17, 2015, 11:19:14 pm »

Re: Vampire Anime: Whatever happened to that Trinity Blood thing that aired for a while, like. Over a decade ago or something? I remember seeing the occasional episode kinda' in passing and finding it vaguely interesting, at least without looking at it too hard. Lot of neat set pieces, if nothing else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21222 on: February 17, 2015, 11:57:09 pm »

LN adaptation, the LN got translated, too  It did get two seasons, but I imagine the novelty was starting to wear off.

It was OK.  I like the scifi vampire/dystopian twist in that and in Vampire Hunter D.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21223 on: February 18, 2015, 12:12:54 am »

Oh shit, yeah, Trinity Blood. Man, it's been ages, and I only ever watched it on TV, so my mental image is incredibly incoherent...

It had good visuals, and the setting was fairly well done-though of course it had the normal Japanese expy of the Roman Catholic Church. Don't remember very much of it beyond a fight in some church with a big ol' organ, and this one nun-like character who seemed to show up a lot.

3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21224 on: February 18, 2015, 12:14:02 am »

Watched the first episode of Flowers of Evil on Crunchyroll.

Very interesting so far, it has this "desolate" creeping horror sort of vibe to it where something in the world just feels wrong but you can't quite place what it is. Not a huge fan of the choice of using cgi animation for animating the characters but it lends a style to the work as a result. It has some great...scenes? Arrangements? I think the term for film is "shots" which refers to the way the scene is filmed, with regards to camera angling and positioning and how everything on the set flows together.

Anyway. Intriguing and entertaining first episode. It's a refreshing change of pace from the typical "everyone has blue hair and is a moe animoo grill" styled slice-of-life show with tons of bright colors.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 1413 1414 [1415] 1416 1417 ... 2193