Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1397 1398 [1399] 1400 1401 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065727 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20970 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:42 pm »

something something change the system something something anarchy something viva le revolution something
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20971 on: January 28, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »

"cancelled" isn't the right term for Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, because by the sounds of things they already exhausted all the source material. Plus it only finished airing about 18 months ago, and 1-cour series tend to have long breaks. See "Zero No Tsukaima", that has about 2 years between seasons, and nobody can argue it wasn't successful.

There were only 5 books in the series, which ended before the anime, so they probably used up all or most of the original source material in the 12 eps. A 200 page light novel normally works out to about 3-4 eps of anime, so they might well have crammed all 5 novels into the 12 eps. There is a manga adaptation being released at the rate of 1 chapter per month, it's up to about 35 chapters now, i think that has started to go beyond the original novels, but 35 chapters isn't a whole lot to base a TV series off, and the manga probably also covers what happened in the novels+anime. If there is a second season, it will be done after the manga spin-off concludes.

It's not like it was a ongoing series. 1-cour series for older viewers are never assured of getting picked up again. Cancelled is only a valid term to throw around for those weekly shows that go 40+ episodes per year.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:42:51 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20972 on: January 28, 2015, 11:32:50 pm »

This season seems OK other than the standard harem background radiation and Kancolle.  Parasyte and JoJo are great, and then there's a few other things that seem potentially watchable (Death Parade, Alnoah Zero, AssClass, Rolling Girls).
I started watching an anime called "No game No Life".  The first episode wasn't bad, but the second episode was so nauseatingly dumb I'm not sure I want to keep watching.  Anybody happen to know if it stays stupid so I know whether or not to switch to something else now? 
I think the advice to watch Kaiji instead because it's way smarter and doesn't have the paedophile/incest overtone is still relevant.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:37:14 pm by Leafsnail »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20973 on: January 28, 2015, 11:40:15 pm »

oh shit I forgot jojo is on this season

man forget what I said who needs anime when you have jojo

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20974 on: January 28, 2015, 11:40:32 pm »

Kancolle honestly doesn't seem bad so far. Concept is creative(as creative as a anime based on a game series can be), there isn't obviously blatant fanservice I can think of like pantyshots or anything despite the high number of girls in the cast, no harem plot going (not even a male main character yet).

The only negatives I could think of worth criticizing is the obvious plot point of having a bunch of anime girls saving the world (which may or may not be negative, depending on the viewer's opinion), and that there's been lots of cgi animation with really noticeably lousy framerate. CGI quality is poor in comparison to the standard (think it's referred to as "key") animation.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20975 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:52 pm »

There won't be a main male character, because the subgenre doesn't have them. Sky Girls, Strike Witches, Girls und Panzer, Symphogear, Vivid Red Operation, Upotte, etc etc etc.

There's really only a handful of shows that have tried to combine the Mecha Musume genre with Harem genre, e.g. Infinite Stratos.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:52:55 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20976 on: January 28, 2015, 11:47:27 pm »

It's more the pro-Axis nature of Kancolle that makes it cancerous.  Although I guess it's better than the horrible incest and/or paedo anime I'd usually have to list there so whatever.

Also they released a full version of the new JoJo OP and it's great (may take a while to load):
http://polsy.org.uk/play/nico/?vidid=&vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nicovideo.jp%2Fwatch%2Fnm25441211

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20977 on: January 28, 2015, 11:47:33 pm »

I started watching an anime called "No game No Life".  The first episode wasn't bad, but the second episode was so nauseatingly dumb I'm not sure I want to keep watching.  Anybody happen to know if it stays stupid so I know whether or not to switch to something else now? 
I think the advice to watch Kaiji instead because it's way smarter and doesn't have the paedophile/incest overtone is still relevant.

Okay, I'll check it out.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20978 on: January 28, 2015, 11:58:43 pm »

It's more the pro-Axis nature of Kancolle that makes it cancerous.
Pro-Axis as in WWII Axis? Interesting. Haven't seen that in any episodes yet. Is it the whole "girls with the souls of WWII era ships" thing? Kancolle is made in Japan, Japan was in the Axis in WWII. Seems reasonable.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20979 on: January 29, 2015, 12:07:58 am »

I'd call it more 'pro-Japanese WWII Navy' than anything else, but that's not quite as snappy. The Japanese have always been like the British in that they view their naval forces in a positive light, which leads to stuff like Kancolle and Space Battleship Yamato. Plus from what I understand the setting has very little to do with WWII besides drawing character inspiration from its ships, so it's not apologizing or whitewashing any of the horrible massacres that the Axis committed.

Or at least I hope that Kancolle isn't. I haven't actually watched it yet, so I'm hardly an expert.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20980 on: January 29, 2015, 12:11:08 am »

I'd call it more 'pro-Japanese WWII Navy' than anything else, but that's not quite as snappy.
I'd agree there, and I have seen it.

Also I think that that fact that is is seeing things from the other side makes it a little more interesting actually. It's always cool to see how the "other" side views various conflicts (For example I had great fun reading the British Museum stuff on the Revolutionary war, which basically amounted to "those crazy americans complained for no reason, at which point we gave them a solid thrashing before they all ran away and hid like cowards") and as long as it isn't whitewashing Axis stuff (which from what I've seen it doesn't) then it's okay in my book.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20981 on: January 29, 2015, 12:14:33 am »

All sides have their atrocities. The whole US nuclear bombing in WWII and post-war "testing", like the Marshalls islands tests where they put the natives back there claiming it was safe while fully well knowing it was a radioactive hell-hole. It was clearly done to study the effects on real people. To this day Marshall's Island women give birth to freakish "things" which don't live very long. Thanks America.

And the tuskagee experiments, where US black people were used as unwitting human guinea pigs up until 1972. And the US army injecting Syphilis into Guatemalan orphans stuff after WWII.

If no-one who had atrocities were allowed to make movies about that time period, we'd have no WWII movies ever. Hell, USA has vietnam movies, and that was a total unwarranted bloodbath killing ~2 million civilians.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:16:10 am by Reelya »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20982 on: January 29, 2015, 12:16:52 am »

Girls und Panzer, there's a name i haven't seen in a bit. When's season two on the only anime to not have fanservice and have an all-female cast coming?

EDIT: yo Reelya I have a speech about the vietnam war I usually give during these types of moments but I don't think the anime thread is the place for that. soooo maybe not here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20983 on: January 29, 2015, 12:18:32 am »

There are plenty of all-female shows with no fanservice. I'd start listing some but I wouldn't stop. The deal is "all female". If they have 1 male character + mostly female, then you're much more likely to get fanservice.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:20:14 am by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20984 on: January 29, 2015, 12:19:40 am »

I'd call it more 'pro-Japanese WWII Navy' than anything else, but that's not quite as snappy.

Yeah, that's what I was going for. I can understand having some national pride and thinking some ships or planes or whatever your nation used in a past war was cool. It's not like saying "hey, our ships in ww2 were pretty cool" means "hey, hitler did nothing wrong and I totally support genocide".
Pages: 1 ... 1397 1398 [1399] 1400 1401 ... 2193