Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058271 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19275 on: September 13, 2014, 03:53:48 pm »

I thought I'd go for a bit of nostalgia hit with a quick watch of Gunbuster. I'd forgotten about the mecha calisthenics! xD

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19276 on: September 13, 2014, 04:52:10 pm »

Latest Mahouka. Ok we have epic terrorist stuff going on, ships, trucks, rocket attacks all coordinated! After that build up it's clear that the enemy has something HUGE planned, right? Wrong.

What actually happened on screen was 4 non-magical overall-wearing mooks burst into a room filled with the country's top magicians, waved some guns around, and then Tatsuya literally beat the lot of them in less than 1 minute. They apparently already KNEW about Tatsuya powers but used the same tactics as everyone else against him: send some weak sons of bitches in to wave guns around. That won't work on Tatsuya. Pretty much ANYONE in that room could take down a few non-magical gunmen. Of course everyone developed instant incompetence so that Tatsuya could shine: in ~ episode 6 the same thing happened in the main school and the kids at that school took the enemy down faster than this. And this convention was supposed to have the top magical talent of all 9 schools. We've seen regular students of one school fight more guys than this, so it makes no sense the top guys from ALL the schools would act so weak against a smaller threat.

What sort of plan was that? I wish I could say this was some sort of ruse and not the real attack but I know better after seeing the rest of the show. This author has no interest in building up epic fight scenes, he just easy wins to make Tatsuya look good. Sure, the author hints at devious evil plans, but literally every time it turns out to be the same retarded plan: send some shitty mooks in to annoy people and get instakilled.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:12:55 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19277 on: September 13, 2014, 05:24:35 pm »

Meanwhile the various evil conspiracies slowly worm their way into bureaucracies, spending decades slowly building up to the point where they can create a weapon capable of breaching the fourth wall, at which point they send assassins after Tatsuya's real power source: the author.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19278 on: September 13, 2014, 05:50:45 pm »

One of the most off-putting things is that the writer clearly wants a gung-ho hero not afraid to kill people violently and gorily. So a Dirty Harry type hero. But, at the same time he has mostly "softball" enemies so that no good guys ever get killed on screen.

It's like trying to have your cake and eat it yet it comes across as fridge horror. You have enemies that pull their punches and have been shown to actually avoid killing people. then this "hero" mows through these "baddies" severing limbs and one-shotting people through the head with blood spurting out everywhere. It's kind of offputting. One bad guy even said "why are you doing this? We didn't go so far as to kill anyone!" to which Tatsuya replied "I don't care, you have incurred my wrath." before murdering the guy. Tatsuya is just a c***.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #19279 on: September 13, 2014, 07:08:46 pm »

One of the most off-putting things is that the writer clearly wants a gung-ho hero not afraid to kill people violently and gorily. So a Dirty Harry type hero. But, at the same time he has mostly "softball" enemies so that no good guys ever get killed on screen.

It's like trying to have your cake and eat it yet it comes across as fridge horror. You have enemies that pull their punches and have been shown to actually avoid killing people. then this "hero" mows through these "baddies" severing limbs and one-shotting people through the head with blood spurting out everywhere. It's kind of offputting. One bad guy even said "why are you doing this? We didn't go so far as to kill anyone!" to which Tatsuya replied "I don't care, you have incurred my wrath." before murdering the guy. Tatsuya is just a c***.
Maybe in the end the bad guys turn out to be the good guys!

Best.  Plot twist.  EVER.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19280 on: September 13, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

Maybe in the end the bad guys turn out to be the good guys!

Best.  Plot twist.  EVER.
EM KNIGHT SHAMALLAMAS!

Oh and Flying Dice was argueing against shows that pander with boobage and such? Go watch Kill La Kill :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19281 on: September 13, 2014, 07:41:10 pm »

That one's not actually pandering, it's a core element of the narrative, and one that serves as quite a versatile symbol, to boot. :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19282 on: September 13, 2014, 09:22:07 pm »

Oh and Flying Dice was argueing against shows that pander with boobage and such? Go watch Kill La Kill :P
Um. Not even sure what was trying to be said here, no offense. Or rather, which of the various meanings was intended. Also what Bauglir said, though to be honest there were parts where it felt like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19283 on: September 14, 2014, 03:08:21 am »

JoJo announced a 3 month break, and coming back in January. Looking forward to adventures in Egypt.

And recently completed manga The World God Only Knows is getting a "spin-off manga" starting next week. They're not letting this go while it can still be milked for more stuff.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:21:20 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19284 on: September 14, 2014, 10:40:38 am »

JoJo announced a 3 month break, and coming back in January. Looking forward to adventures in Egypt.

No! I need my Jojo all year round!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19285 on: September 14, 2014, 11:23:45 am »

Last night's episode of Space☆Dandy was interesting.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Such a crazy show, but fun to watch. Dandy is smarter/more insightful than he appears and acts sometimes.

EDIT:
Fixed spoiler. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:33:49 pm by Itnetlolor »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19286 on: September 14, 2014, 04:26:37 pm »

Hey not too much detail on the Space Dandy plz - add spoiler tags. It's not like Mahouka or anything (unspoilerable, not worth tags).

I averted my eyes as I have to go to class and can't watch it yet.

EDIT: np thanks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:00:18 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19287 on: September 15, 2014, 10:25:03 am »

Some more info on Build Fighters Try

>They know Build Knuckle was used often in s1, so they will think of new ways to end matches.
>They tried asking Nagasaki to come back, but he had already moved on to another show.
>Scriptwriter Kuroda is busy thinking up a wide variety of new characters.
>The name "Burning Gundam" was director Watada's idea. He had no idea it was also God Gundam's name in the west.
>They're trying to explore more of the Gunpla side. Those who love building, those who love battling, those who love the 'military' aspect.
>Fans of SD Gundam should look forward to episode 4.
>Since there wasn't much pressure on the first season to succeed, the staff had a lot of freedom to do what they wanted.
>They greenlit the sequel towards the end of last year. The good reception of episodes 15 and 18 really helped.
>They were given permission to use G-Reco units, but it's difficult to implement. So they'll likely end up as models in the background.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19288 on: September 15, 2014, 11:07:19 am »

those who love the 'military' aspect.

I will always be disappointed that we never got that battle between that gundam with a ton of guns and the Build Gundam

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19289 on: September 15, 2014, 02:30:44 pm »

So, thought I should mention the ending of the last ep of Mahouka. On top of being near immortal, his body technomagically regenerates in like 0.01 of a second from any possible damage, even losing limbs etc. and on top of being basically able to disintergrate incoming machines of just about any size by blinking (can reduce a speeding truck to atoms just by looking at it apparently. this isn't really a "plot spoiler", it's just something incidental that just happened with no further relevance).

Ok, we got how amazing he is. With the super-hacker/ genius-scientist/ ninjitsu-master/ paramedic/ ace detective/ ninja/ insta-regenerating/ disintegration-beam-shooting/ teleporting/ flying/ lady-killer shit. We got all that: the women in the series basically do nothing but talk about how awesome he is, in case you didn't notice for yourself how amazing that shit is: the series spends 10 times longer talking about how amazing shit is, rather than showing you amazing shit (this is the biggest weakness of the series).

But it's just not enough. We sense his limits. We sense his hurt and vulnerability. He seriously needs the massive powerup that's been hinted at and we've been waiting for.

Then
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The implication is that Mr Immortal has been operating with limiters in place up til now, and his True Powers are about to be showcased! I can't wait to see what that entails.

Apparently unstoppable killing machine who can't be injured and can destroy any incoming threat with just a glance or gesture just isn't OP enough and he needs a whole other "level" of gary-Stu-ness.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:34:06 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 2193