Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1217 1218 [1219] 1220 1221 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065947 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18270 on: July 12, 2014, 06:54:07 pm »

Are we talking about this Macek?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18271 on: July 12, 2014, 06:59:49 pm »

Yep
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18272 on: July 12, 2014, 07:45:32 pm »

This new Robotech without any of the original anime creators involved, or even any of the original Harmony Gold producers involved for that matter ... it's sort of like some old bands I've heard of where eventually all the original members left, and the new members keep the "band" going by touring and just playing the old hit songs. Which, were actually cover songs anyway. I'm thinking of the English pop / glam rock band Black Lace here. don't look them up, they're painful.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18273 on: July 12, 2014, 08:56:07 pm »

Ok here is something...

Does anyone know a fighting anime where punches don't exist in the punch dimension?

Or more specifically... where characters aren't "vaguely hurt". (Oddly enough I am not even thinking of an anime specifically... because Anime runs by the "the more hurt you are, the stronger you become"... I am actually thinking of a non-anime Beware the Batman... where he takes blows that should hospitalize him like they were nothing... making fights basically not matter because the exchange you see on screen doesn't mean anything)

I swear protagonists in anime are like the shields from startrek. As soon as they are at 30% they are actually at 90%.

Hmm maybe that Boxing anime is like that... hmm..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:59:47 pm by Neonivek »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18274 on: July 12, 2014, 09:01:19 pm »

You mean where people are actually hindered by the damage they get as opposed to being completely able to fight until they suddenly drop dead?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18275 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:10 pm »

You mean where people are actually hindered by the damage they get as opposed to being completely able to fight until they suddenly drop dead?

For the most part.

I mean some have hindering hits... but those are almost always specifically designed to inflict those (Injury as the plot demands) and otherwise any attack pretty much didn't do anything to them.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18276 on: July 12, 2014, 09:15:13 pm »

It's telling that this link had no anime examples whatsoever.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18277 on: July 12, 2014, 09:17:55 pm »

Ok here is something...Hmm maybe that Boxing anime is like that... hmm..

Yeah, people get pretty badly hurt in Hajime no Ippo

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18278 on: July 12, 2014, 09:22:33 pm »

TvTropes black hole averted by good sense and experience. Do you know what TvTropes needs more than anything else? Tool-tips which give a summary of all hyperlinked topics so you don't have to open new tabs to get the gist of random jargon they made up.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18279 on: July 12, 2014, 09:23:59 pm »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18280 on: July 12, 2014, 09:32:02 pm »

Hmm I think I could automate embedding those with greasmonkey / JavaScript into the page itself

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18281 on: July 13, 2014, 01:00:40 am »

Nice to know that anime characters are allergic to the hospital.

Guy gets beaten until his eyes go cross and he falls unconscious... and he STILL doesn't go to the hospital.

Prince of Tennis was the opposite but it also had characters injuring themselves permanently to win matches...

Tip: If someone falls unconscious and they don't immediately get back up... yeah see a doctor. Heck see a doctor anyway.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18282 on: July 13, 2014, 01:01:46 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:30:09 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18283 on: July 13, 2014, 01:08:47 am »

Macross, too. In both the original, and in 2008's Frontier, major characters need hospital care if they're in a serious fight.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Knights of Sidonia, the MC in the first episode, ouch. Mecha shows in general seem to have more realistic concepts of injury, at least people don't take direct super-hits and walk away.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18284 on: July 13, 2014, 01:23:22 am »

I remember World's Mightiest Disciple where people did go to the hospital but they were SO incompetent that a Chiropractor and a Acupuncturist were far superior.

Which is fine in an anime about how these dudes are basically some of the greatest people to live.

But GOODNESS the things they heal that hospitals miss are staggering. In one case they heal a pinched nerve that the hospital, that specializes in those kinds of injuries, misses.

So pretty much after that no one went to the hospital anymore... even for life threatening injuries.

----

Though I love anime. For every trope you can find examples and counter examples... Ones that do it right and ones that do it wrong on both sides.

For example the "Yakkate Japan" does the "Super Genius" right. You see where he got his skills from and everything he does stems from it while also having a natural talent for it so you get the sense that he actually worked very hard to get where he is. While Master Cooking Boy is the exact opposite where our hero's skills and abilities are mostly completely unexplained and he just has talent out the wazoo and mostly doesn't work too hard.

While the opposite end you got the main character from Yamino Pastichie who at no point ever gains a "talent" for cooking, she is "creative" but only on a above average level... and while she has the super sense of taste it never comes into play except all of once (she never uses it to make better dishes). So everything she learns is entirely through effort and her detriments never just disappear, as well the traits that usually allow her to "win" are all personality traits. For example she is very considerate and caring.

While the opposite and got it wrong is World's Mightiest Disciple where our hero is "talentless" except he really isn't... who works like crazy, but not harder then anyone else really, and is better then anyone else and we are constantly informed about how "not talented" he is. Essentially he is a Harem Comedy protagonist except replace his "Can't get women" (Which obviously translates to any woman who spends more then 1 hour with him will fall madly in love with him) into "Sucks at martial arts". It isn't that they don't try explaining it away, it is that they try hard to completely discredit the hero and say it is "all effort" when what we see doesn't back it up... especially when "boundless endurance" and "Unbreakable will" are both great martial arts talents.

Now let me see what Western shows are on right now... Ohh... the only... non-comedy show on right now... is absolutely dreadful... well thanks TV. Wait there is Legend of Kora! yay!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:51:44 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1217 1218 [1219] 1220 1221 ... 2193