Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1152 1153 [1154] 1155 1156 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066070 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17295 on: April 25, 2014, 05:19:36 pm »

Meh, in the lore that is pretty much what Unicron is.

Yet when he is on the screen he is just a planet sized transformer who tends to be beaten in increasingly embarrassing ways. Mostly by the power of friendship.

Naw.  They needed the an ancient soul-consuming artifact passed down a long line of protectors/sacrifices to destroy the cosmic devourer.  That's kinda badass. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17296 on: April 25, 2014, 05:21:25 pm »

Yet when he is on the screen he is just a planet sized transformer who tends to be beaten in increasingly embarrassing ways. Mostly by the power of friendship.

Naw.  They needed the an ancient soul-consuming artifact passed down a long line of protectors/sacrifices to destroy the cosmic devourer.  That's kinda badass.

Spark Consuming. Transformer souls are not metaphysical constructs. They are literal balls of energy.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17297 on: April 25, 2014, 05:24:49 pm »

Not.. really?

Generation 1: Blown up by the matrix of leadership. Survived as a giant moon head until the Technobots messed up his internal systems a long while later.

Beast Wars Neo: Blown up by the Matrix Buster

Armada: Depowered by Galvatron sacrificing himself to end the war so the negative emotions caused by the fighting stopped flowing.

Energon: Body was destroyed. Posessed Galvatron, who then flew into a sun.

Cybertron: ...well he's already dead, but there was the Singularity left by his destruction. Primus sealed it up eventually.

Prime: Sealed inside the Allspark's container.

Oh I got ninjaed. But yeah. And that's not even going into the weirdness of characters that are multiversal singularities. Or all the stuff that goes down in the comics.

Also Sparks are actually both. They're fragments of Primus's lifeforce and pretty much do act like very durable souls.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:43:10 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17298 on: April 25, 2014, 05:53:22 pm »

You can destroy them with an Energon knife... soo ehhh

And given they already written in SUPER energon (which I though was dumb) and Dark Energon (which I wish was never introduced into the series) it is surprisingly easy to get your hands on a robot spark killing object.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:54:55 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17299 on: April 25, 2014, 05:56:57 pm »

This week's JoJo was pretty cool, I suggest watching it if you haven't.
*crosses Eva and AoT*

*basks in the surprising lack of difference*
I think there's a pretty fundamental thematic gulf between the series.  AoT is about fighting against horrendous odds and the sacrifices you have to make in the process, while NGE is more about detachment and apathy.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17300 on: April 25, 2014, 06:03:29 pm »

You can destroy them with an Energon knife... soo ehhh

And given they already written in SUPER energon (which I though was dumb) and Dark Energon (which I wish was never introduced into the series) it is surprisingly easy to get your hands on a robot spark killing object.

That's irrelevant to the argument. Being destroyable does not disqualify them from metaphysical properties. If you were referring to my durable comment, I was referring to the fact that they can survive the body being destroyed provided they don't take too much damage.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17301 on: April 25, 2014, 08:12:11 pm »

Just started watching Railgun, and came across this news:

"A second side-story manga series, A Certain Scientific Accelerator (とある科学の一方通行 Toaru Kagaku no Akuserarēta?), began serialization in Dengeki Daioh in December 2013."

Yeah, so might see an Accelerator anime in the future.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17302 on: April 25, 2014, 08:19:40 pm »

Why? Accelerator is already one of the main characters in New Testament.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17303 on: April 25, 2014, 08:33:07 pm »

That's irrelevant to the argument. Being destroyable does not disqualify them from metaphysical properties. If you were referring to my durable comment, I was referring to the fact that they can survive the body being destroyed provided they don't take too much damage

Yeah it was to the durable comment, and I always figured sparks were quite fragile, but that for plot convenience they tended to survive total robot destruction.

Also I doubt you were making an argument.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17304 on: April 25, 2014, 08:37:31 pm »

I... dunno how to respond to that last part?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17305 on: April 25, 2014, 11:15:45 pm »

Well I guess I mean that I cannot really argue with what you said. Unless I say that the events that lead to it is because of the power of friendship.

Such as the time when the power of friendship created a giant optimus and another time when it created an entirely different giant robot.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17306 on: April 25, 2014, 11:20:32 pm »

??? The power of friendship doesn't really show up that much in my memories, save for Armada and some of the weirder japanese shows nobody pays attention to? Most of the weird emotional powerup stuff I remember is from Hearts of Burning Justice! And in the Unicron trilogy the dub swapped those out with slightly more reasonable explanations.

It's kinda ironically amusing actually that when it comes to transformers its the English shows that tend to take themselves more seriously while the anime transformers shows are more comedic and cheesy (And the japanese dubs of certain transformers shows are infamously bad like in beast wars where they threw in bad running gags and inexplicably made Airazor male)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:28:46 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17307 on: April 25, 2014, 11:21:22 pm »

Well I guess I mean that I cannot really argue with what you said. Unless I say that the events that lead to it is because of the power of friendship.

Such as the time when the power of friendship created a giant optimus and another time when it created an entirely different giant robot.

The moral of this story is if we can get the entire world to work together in friendship, giant robots will happen.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1152 1153 [1154] 1155 1156 ... 2193