Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1146 1147 [1148] 1149 1150 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066664 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17205 on: April 20, 2014, 11:46:00 pm »

A proper deconstruction of that trope would have greater power release by peeling off your own flesh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17206 on: April 21, 2014, 12:23:44 am »

So. Does anyone know where I can find the Kaiji manga translated? I got up to chapter 23 and can't find anything past that until the start of the second part.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17207 on: April 21, 2014, 04:07:35 am »

A proper deconstruction of that trope would have greater power release by peeling off your own flesh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah... Watch Genocyber... That proves it wrong.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17208 on: April 21, 2014, 10:44:17 am »

No.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17209 on: April 21, 2014, 01:34:34 pm »

Genocyber is weird.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17210 on: April 21, 2014, 03:06:16 pm »

Genocyber is damn weird, dat's true. But probably best left forgotten :/

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17211 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:41 pm »

And remember, it's rated the equivalent of PG-13!
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17212 on: April 21, 2014, 04:34:53 pm »

Is it badly written or that scary?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17213 on: April 21, 2014, 04:40:07 pm »

*looks it up*

It's apparently the goriest thing ever.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17214 on: April 21, 2014, 07:41:17 pm »

Is it badly written or that scary?

The writing. OVA Episode 1 is worth checking out, but the rest are just tacked on crap with a tenuous connection to the first one.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17215 on: April 21, 2014, 09:56:27 pm »

The writing. OVA Episode 1 is worth checking out, but the rest are just tacked on crap with a tenuous connection to the first one.
It's worth watching just for the mindscrew plot. It's so strange it's entertaining imho. It's like Xantalos ate Akira and pooped it out.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17216 on: April 21, 2014, 10:24:19 pm »

I just watched it because my friends told me that it was the goriest thing they've ever seen and they wanted to see how I'd fare against it.

I think I scare them now.

GENERATION 29:

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17217 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:43 pm »

I found this rundown of episode 1 of mahouka to be pretty funny, and all he really does is list shit that happened.

http://moesucks.com/2014/04/05/mahouka-koukou-no-rettousei-ep-1/

• At home, Miyuki discovers that while her father and mother had called to congratulate her for getting into such a prestigious high school, they did no such thing for her oniichan. Apparently, Tatsuya had opted to attend high school over helping with his father’s company, so family relations are a little frigid at the moment. There’s a pattern here where the whole world is against our poor, misunderstood protagonist (He’s truly smart and talented! He just bombed the Practical Exam!) except for a select few. And for the moment, that select few happens to be all girls. And of course, leading the charge for that select few is his very own kawaii imouto. Hm.
• We finally make our way back to school where everyone marvels over Tatsuya’s ability to type super fast. What is he doing? Programming? Hacking a government network? Nope, just “[c]onfirming the curriculum, and registering for classes.”
the rest of the Blooms are outright furious that Miyuki would want to walk home with her own brother. Outright furious! Both sides almost fight. Almost. But then the Student Council President and a member of the Disciplinary Committee show up. The calm and collected Tatsuya then casually defuses the situation even though it doesn’t look like the Bloom asshole appreciates it one bit.
So, the hero is so amazing at everything he does (most bestest super hacker in history, literally superhuman martial artist, can tell what magic people are going to use before they use it, world's greatest political mastermind, all at age ~16), that even merely surfing a website has a gaggle of hot girls fawning over him. I guess that scene was needed to show just how amazing he is.

And the hero "just happens" to have the same initials as the LN's author (counting latin alphabet). With 676 2-letter combinations that's less than a 1/600 chance. That's the first warning sign on the Mary Sue checklists, name based on author's.

But I see a real problem here. The hero is an unbeatable warrior. He's also the world's greatest hacker / web browser user. Why would he need allies? He's already better at everything than anyone else, so the plot will have to come up with all sorts of contrivances as to how he can't solve every problem by himself - since his skills in combat, hacking, prediction, strategy and diplomacy are already lightyears beyond any of his peers or teachers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:10:18 pm by Reelya »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17218 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:16 pm »

you can't use the power of friendship if you don't have any friends.

and obviously if he's so awesome he's already figured out that without said power he'll be fucked over by some nerd with an improbable list of allies

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17219 on: April 21, 2014, 11:51:58 pm »

But I see a real problem here. The hero is an unbeatable warrior. He's also the world's greatest hacker / web browser user. Why would he need allies? He's already better at everything than anyone else, so the plot will have to come up with all sorts of contrivances as to how he can't solve every problem by himself - since his skills in combat, hacking, prediction, strategy and diplomacy are already lightyears beyond any of his peers or teachers

You clearly don't watch enough anime or read enough mangas.

Mary Sue characters who start the series being unstoppable amazing people... and end with being unstoppable amazing people... is common

Heck Master Cooking Boy was exactly that and that anime is so much fun!
Pages: 1 ... 1146 1147 [1148] 1149 1150 ... 2193