Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066222 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16020 on: January 15, 2014, 08:46:19 pm »

Fate/Zero is great and has the character driven action you're looking for.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16021 on: January 15, 2014, 08:56:38 pm »

Samurai Champloo is by the same guys as Cowboy Bebop, and has a similarly excellent dub, though one particular episode really doesn't work as well with the dub unfortunately. Definitely worth a watch for you I think.
I'll always recommend Samurai Champloo for everything.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: January 15, 2014, 09:02:26 pm »

Apparently, Russian anime redub songs in Russian. i'll have to be seeking out more of these.

EDIT: There's more than I expected: NGE in Russian

That right there? That's pretty cool.

i did hear that russia is this mythical land where the dubs are always good and watching cute girls does not equal homosexuality

don't speak russian though

russians pls confirm
Sad to disappoint you, but that's bullshit. The Russian-language anime community is the English-language anime community, but with 20% more Naruto fans and horrid-ass dub. Even more horrid-ass than English, I mean. The sub is either OK or hilariously Russian. Watching cute girls equals pedophilia and/or homosexuality just as much as anywhere else, but Russian attitudes towards anything non-hetero are several degrees of magnitude worse.

We have failed you, m'lord. We...are sorry.
*Avis offers LordSlowpoke his Garrison badge*
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16023 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:10 pm »

For best english dubs try Australia, Madman Entertainment gets the best animes for dub releases and for us americans is the best place to score some good prices instead of selling an arm for japanese imports for wait forever for Funimation to release anything good.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: January 16, 2014, 12:00:55 am »

For best english dubs try Australia, Madman Entertainment gets the best animes for dub releases and for us americans is the best place to score some good prices instead of selling an arm for japanese imports for wait forever for Funimation to release anything good.
Americans going to Australia for good prices? What is this madness?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16025 on: January 16, 2014, 03:58:11 am »

Started watching cowboy bebop. Up to ep 6 now
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16026 on: January 16, 2014, 04:53:30 am »

Can I talk manga here, or is that heresy?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16027 on: January 16, 2014, 04:58:02 am »

I don't think talking manga, is much of a problem here.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16028 on: January 16, 2014, 05:07:42 am »

Sweet. The ending of Rosario + Vampire is here, but it bites ass. Sure, the good guys win, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16029 on: January 16, 2014, 02:43:43 pm »

New Masaaki Yuasa anime coming out in April (the director of Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy), it's an adaptation of a 1990's sports manga called "ping pong".

So I'm expecting some hi-octane table tennis action - on acid.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16030 on: January 16, 2014, 02:51:14 pm »

Spoiler: chu2 (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16031 on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:03 pm »

I'm watching Children Who Chase Lost Voices (same guy who did Voices From a Distant Star).  It's some of the worst writing in an anime I've ever seen, but... the animation is some of the prettiest... in some ways it's like Miyazaki turned up to eleven, though the cinematography isn't that good, so it's a bit of a waste.

EDIT: This is an incredibly putrid combination of Laputa and Princess Mononoke with a hearty dose of "loook at meeeee I'm amaaaaaaazing"

Also the voice acting direction is horrible

EDIT EDIT: Also the main female protagonist literally can't hit something five feet away that is seven feet tall, and four feet wide, and holding her by the neck, with a modern handgun.  She apparently discharges the entire clip into the ground.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: She's apparently half-some sort of fantasy race and we never go into this.  Also she gets ridiculously blushy around every man around her who isn't a greybeard.

EDIT^4: I think she just got sacrificed in a dark ritual to bring someone's wife back?  This is a really weird movie.

EDIT^5: OF COURSE SHE'S FINE WITH THIS

EDIT^6: AND THEN THE FILM ENDED

whyyyyyyyyyy

Apparently it was supposed to be about moving on after death?  BUT HOW IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE

IT'S NOT LIKE SHE ACTUALLY MOURNED ANYONE OR ANYTHING

what the hell
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:55:58 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #16032 on: January 16, 2014, 08:34:02 pm »

Sweet. The ending of Rosario + Vampire is here, but it bites ass. Sure, the good guys win, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why?

THE ENDING!?

WHERE IS I-

Oh. I thought you meant the actual last chapter.
Grumble grumble grr. Getting me excited...

Anyway, to talk about it:

The reason why is because the R+V manga is actually a brilliant anime/manga subversion, veiling itself like some sort of ridiculous perverted harem comedy like the detestable anime actually is, and then laughing in your face every time your preconceptions about what it is turns out wrong.

That doesn't need to be in spoilers because I've basically said that before in this thread.

And the best part? Even if there's some crazy things that happen and the situation isn't as it seems and it's not all bad, I'm still not wrong.

Updates: Umi no Misaki is ending at some point soon. Everything's pretty much wrapped up, there's just this weird... kinda-not-really-an-epilogue going on after everything is resolved. It's kind of interesting, because there was a bit of tension in the observing characters at having witnessed everything. Even though it's ending, I feel like something serious is about to happen or at least be discussed, and not in the way where it's just further resolving everything.

The only version of Maou Maoyuu Yuusha that matters updated! The new chapter was pretty dramatic and great.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:37:01 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16033 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:45 pm »

I'm watching Children Who Chase Lost Voices (same guy who did Voices From a Distant Star).  It's some of the worst writing in an anime I've ever seen, but... the animation is some of the prettiest... in some ways it's like Miyazaki turned up to eleven, though the cinematography isn't that good, so it's a bit of a waste.

EDIT: This is an incredibly putrid combination of Laputa and Princess Mononoke with a hearty dose of "loook at meeeee I'm amaaaaaaazing"

Also the voice acting direction is horrible

EDIT EDIT: Also the main female protagonist literally can't hit something five feet away that is seven feet tall, and four feet wide, and holding her by the neck, with a modern handgun.  She apparently discharges the entire clip into the ground.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: She's apparently half-some sort of fantasy race and we never go into this.  Also she gets ridiculously blushy around every man around her who isn't a greybeard.

EDIT^4: I think she just got sacrificed in a dark ritual to bring someone's wife back?  This is a really weird movie.

EDIT^5: OF COURSE SHE'S FINE WITH THIS

EDIT^6: AND THEN THE FILM ENDED

whyyyyyyyyyy

Apparently it was supposed to be about moving on after death?  BUT HOW IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE

IT'S NOT LIKE SHE ACTUALLY MOURNED ANYONE OR ANYTHING

what the hell
Let me explain something about Makoto Shinkai, his tv movies are always based on two different protagonists with intertwining plots but in the end are separated by some difference. All of them are like that and honestly plot is weak. But good god the animation work done for this, i watched The Garden of Words with my buddies and i couldn't believe what i was seeing. I could not tell if i was seeing CGI or real life, its damn good, so good, its scary.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16034 on: January 16, 2014, 11:38:23 pm »

Yeah!  I've got Garden of Words coming from the library soon, too.

I don't think this one even had two intertwining protagonists separated by a difference, unless you mean that they came from different worlds... because that seems very superficial in this case, an "in name only" thing, and wasn't at all the topic under discussion in the movie >_>

God, beautiful animation, but so little sense
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 2193