Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068559 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #15705 on: November 29, 2013, 02:20:33 pm »

MY MIND HAS BEEN BLOWN

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #15706 on: November 29, 2013, 04:53:16 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15707 on: November 29, 2013, 05:24:01 pm »

65... I recognized almost no modern shows ;_;  They all look the same!  I could tell you which studio did a lot of them, or often even the vocal artist, but not what they actually were!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15708 on: November 29, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »

Anime identification via opening quiz!

I only got 45 :(
It was such a nostalgia rush, but also, that is such a weird quiz.  I type in "S" and it immediately fills in an answer (which was not just the letter S, mind you), and guess wrong on another one but get a completely separate one right by random fluke.  ^_^

Spoiler: Quiz answer comments (click to show/hide)

Final score, ignoring that weird answer glitch (since I never would have gotten it otherwise): 62/101.  So much red in the third column...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:54:10 pm by Culise »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15709 on: November 29, 2013, 11:35:49 pm »

I never, ever thought I would say this, but I think we might need more anime featuring boys and men.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15710 on: November 29, 2013, 11:37:39 pm »

I never, ever thought I would say this, but I think we might need more anime featuring boys and men.

A balanced cast? Yeah I agree.

It often feels very weird to have "All the greatest people of this game ever" be children... when it is clearly supposed to be "For everyone"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15711 on: November 29, 2013, 11:38:28 pm »

You can find plenty of men in shonen, but they're all annoying bishies these days.

We need more variety all around in anime.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15712 on: November 29, 2013, 11:38:39 pm »

I would also like them to kick the school can down the road and think of something new, literally sick of the school animes.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15713 on: November 29, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »

Do you mean that plausibly due to a shift of where the money is in the industry there are not enough boys and men compared to the seemingly infinite amounts of series involving cute little girls and older versions thereof or simply an anime featuring boys and men exclusively?

This is for some reason relevant. I'm not even sure what I could use that information for, though.

Warning - while you were typing 3 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #15714 on: November 29, 2013, 11:41:25 pm »

But gurlz are purty.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15715 on: November 29, 2013, 11:43:00 pm »

Ohh I mistaken what Vector meant... I thought she meant boys and men in the same anime.

Well the problem is, women make the perfect victims according to some writers.

Just listen to some interviews about Fatal Frame and why they chose to make the main character female. (it might be why female protagonists in horror was so common for a time... before the action horror craze)

And yes, I do feel weird writing that. I do think it is part of the "Sex with children" trend with anime as well.

Basically... Why would they use boys and men when girls are not only more "attractive" but also are much easier to torture for cheap dramatic affect? (it isn't a real question... I am saying it is likely a real problem)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:47:42 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15716 on: November 29, 2013, 11:47:05 pm »

Honestly, I think that part of it is that people decided to make infinitely many moe-moe jackoff series.  There really aren't many anime actually aimed at women, even if women form the entire cast of the majority of anime at this point.  But it's gotten to the point where I'm actually starting to think "fuck, we've got some under-representation."

I was watching that anime OP thing and you know, most of the series in the third column are women-only or mostly women.  And they're mostly moe-moe things, too, not stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura that were really made for girls.  I'd like to see more stuff like Attack on Titan that's genuinely pretty balanced, and more series about girls for girls, and more series about boys for boys.  Don't get me wrong--I'm into fan appeal, but it seems like we're doing almost nothing but fan appeal at this point.

Manga still seems to be doing completely fine, but anime... anime has really changed in the past seven years or so.

Ohh I mistaken what Vector meant... I thought she meant boys and men in the same anime.

Well the problem is, women make the perfect victims according to some writers.

Just listen to some interviews about Fatal Frame and why they chose to make the main character female. (it might be why female protagonists in horror was so common for a time... before the action horror craze)

And yes, I do feel weird writing that. I do think it is part of the "Sex with children" trend with anime as well.

God bless this post.  I'd like to have boys and men in the same anime, as well--that's really uncommon.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15717 on: November 29, 2013, 11:50:53 pm »

also took a peek at that 101 test, i successfully been able to answer at most 78 openings, doesn't help alot of them are sequels :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15718 on: November 30, 2013, 03:55:02 am »

I completely forgot how many Gundams look EXACTLY like eachother.

And I don't mean like the Zakus which are meant to look like eachother, because they are built off of the same model.

I mean all the ones based off of the original Gundam design.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15719 on: November 30, 2013, 04:17:38 am »

Then suddenly, animated adaption of Manly Guys Doing Manly Things.
Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 2193