Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078205 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14580 on: August 20, 2013, 02:36:44 am »

Woah, chillax

Ohh don't worry, I am trying to project my frustration watching the show. Sometimes I even questioned if I should be watching the show.
Ahh, gotcha. You and I butt heads on a lot of topics, Neonivek, I'm just glad we can do so civilly. =)

Don't forget the perspective of the Anime genre.

Slapstick comedy is a key point in all 'Harem' situations. You can logically consider 'abuse' what the male protagonist suffers, (The classic 'rocket-punch on the ground every time he sees something he shouldn't') but it's played for the laughs.

I think the difference here is that there's a lot of analysis going on in the Haruhi series. Things aren't just cut and dry. It tries to be mature as well as being immature. In that way, it comes down to the perspective of the individual anime (or books). It's not even lampshaded, like in most circumstances, people are clearly not cool with it going on but they have resigned themselves to allow it.

Familiar of Zero has a pretty clear-cut case of repeated abuse on the protagonist (who is probably a masochist anyway, since he likes that) to the point where he also ends up brainwashed by his own 'runes' to obey the master. That is slavery and abuse, because all other familiar suffer the same thing...and nobody seems to find it strange.

Oh god, you brought up FoZ...
That always gets people riled up >,<

Or what about Pokemon? Isn't Pokemon abusive to pokemons too? Throw a pokeball and voilà! You have tamed a free-willed creature into your slave for life!

Pokemon actually tries to justify it. It's also not just lampshaded. Sure, the reasons given are basically "LOVE" and "FRIENDSHIP", but taken in a certain light it could end up being justified. Pokemon does that. There are Pokemon that do not want to be tamed, and if people try they are the bad guys, ESPECIALLY if done by force. Pikachu doesn't even want to be tamed by Ash in the beginning, but Ash tries to win him over and Pikachu appears petulant because Pikachu was actually being a jerk in the beginning. Then there's the movie. Mewtwo is clearly the villain, so is Team Rocket, there are moral lessons learned, the actual depth of relationships between Trainer and Pokemon is explored, etc. Not cut and dry, although it certainly is a whole bunch of cliches otherwise.

Delving too deep into an anime's logic and innerworkings isn't going to change the fact that it was done for the laughs and lightheartedly depicted.
Now, if Mikuru had become anorexic, started cutting herself, or done anything 'dark and grime' to showcase the 'abuse', then yes, by all that is holy yes, it would be abuse...and the anime would have probably taken another turn.

Except it is perfectly legitimate to delve into an anime's logic. Louise from FoZ's anime is an abusive bitch. No one cares if it's lightheartedly depicted. That makes it swing by a good number of people, but it also pisses off another good number of people. FoZ isn't also that great of an example. Another series, like Love Hina (I KNOW THAT GETS PEOPLE RILED UP TOO BUT GIVE ME A SEC) makes it more acceptable because the abuse is clearly impossible, except for the kendo beatings. Flying off into space is clearly a joke. Being deprived of food, shelter, mercilessly beaten, etc. is can be made into a joke, but you're definitely not going to get widespread appeal.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler'd that for you. Also, the repercussions of that particular bit of knowledge are made rather clear. I think it's less that people don't see the true problem with it, and more that everyone was kind of explicitly told what the problem with it is so you don't hear anyone debating it. The revelation of Haruhi even possibly learning about that breeds terror into the cast.

That's why a key rule is never to delve too deep in anime stories. Otherwise all Harems should be reclassified with 'Abuse' written in a corner for the male protagonist, many 'anime' would end up getting their ratings upped and whatnot.

As a song says...

Take it easyyyyyy

I disagree with just letting off a series because it portrays something that totally isn't light-hearted as something light-hearted. If it's done for comedy, it needs to be appropriately done for comedy. Mikuru is actually a case in which the situation is done for comedy but is actually explicitly against comedy simply due to the characters. Haruhi even acknowledges that Mikuru is "moe", which is generally a term for a character that causes others to want to protect or care for that character. They are endearing. They are well liked. You hate to see them upset. You especially hate to see them cry. That's who Mikuru is as a character, explicitly stated by Word of God, in multiple interpretations of the term. Then Haruhi causes Mikuru to become upset in a tone that is done to come off as comedic, but clearly that's not the only layer going on.

The same for other series. In some instances it is very clear that something is done for comedic effect, or lampshaded, or etc. However, just grouping all anime together and going "Anything is forgivable because the logic is silly" seems very irresponsible to me. I get what you're saying, but I think you're applying that attitude far too generously.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14581 on: August 20, 2013, 02:56:14 am »

You're making my hands twitch into writing a fanfiction with the Canon Louise abuses and the results it may have on a normal-minded Saito and not the 'excuse' of protagonist we get.

I understand that the abuse shouldn't be ignored, but it's deeply ingrained in the Japanese mindset that 'slapstick is not abuse' and 'fondling breast is what women do to one another in the locker room'. The Japanese call it 'Fanservice'. Whenever a woman has a pantyshot, a scene where she's half-naked in the shower and the male comes in, a scene in the hot springs or at the beach with a skimpy swimsuit.

Then there's the male sided problem: point an anime where there isn't a form of abuse involving a male being punched at least once? Sure, we're talking about Mikuru because she's female and she cries, but there are plenty more animes where the 'abused' is male and he doesn't cry (he doesn't even register he's being abused nine times out of ten).
And when he does, he just goes on 'anime tears' for a moment, then the Lead-Female says she's sorry, everything gets a light 'aww' moment...and then it's abuse because the male does something stupid or something stupid happens and it's back on the Abuse train.

Ps:
I didn't know Foz or Love Hina riled up people. Sorry folks!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14582 on: August 20, 2013, 03:01:31 am »

I understand that the abuse shouldn't be ignored, but it's deeply ingrained in the Japanese mindset that 'slapstick is not abuse' and 'fondling breast is what women do to one another in the locker room'. The Japanese call it 'Fanservice'. Whenever a woman has a pantyshot, a scene where she's half-naked in the shower and the male comes in, a scene in the hot springs or at the beach with a skimpy swimsuit.

I should state that this isn't exactly true... but that is because Anime and Japanese culture is heavily segmented.

As well the "slapstick is not abuse" is not unique to the west as well. The key is not to cross the line between slapstick and abuse.

The Three Stooges for example were good at it because they never handled it with any sort of realism.

Even the Japanese have that line between slapstick and abuse.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14583 on: August 20, 2013, 03:02:47 am »

The Three Stooges?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14584 on: August 20, 2013, 03:14:02 am »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14585 on: August 20, 2013, 03:15:32 am »

I have no idea what you're talking about with those. is it an anime or something?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14586 on: August 20, 2013, 03:16:53 am »

I have no idea what you're talking about with those. is it an anime or something?

::Sigh:: Such a shame, you must know of them at least a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZZOxeGgGr4&t=2m27s

Good, simple example.

Edit: I will add that I find the above quite funny. It's silly, physical humour involving three idiots. I do know at least one person who doesn't like it and finds it cruel. Different things for different people.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:49:37 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14587 on: August 20, 2013, 03:29:31 am »

Ah... like Stanlio and Olio.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14588 on: August 20, 2013, 03:57:17 am »

You're making my hands twitch into writing a fanfiction with the Canon Louise abuses and the results it may have on a normal-minded Saito and not the 'excuse' of protagonist we get.

Hey man, I get that. I understand that it's not being portrayed accurately. That's one of the ways it kind of gets away with doing it: if Saito was realistically upset, the tone would completely change. He has all rights to actually be upset enough. Unlike in the Haruhi series, though, I think Saito's reactions are pretty baseless (the masochist thing is definitely an inconsistency, you don't see evidence of it earlier, though I'm going with the manga and books. Haven't seen the anime, only bits and pieces). Also, I'd actually be really interested in seeing that fanfiction. I love fanfictions of situations being played straight.

Then there's the male sided problem: point an anime where there isn't a form of abuse involving a male being punched at least once?

Hmm... Trinity Blood, I think. Weren't the girls only really upset at Tenchi in Tenchi Muyo, but never actually abused him (violence =/= abuse before the harem situation develops)? I don't recall. I'd almost say Black Lagoon, because almost everything there is violence, but the bit in the beginning with Rock as a prisoner is a sort of abuse (although this is later invalidated with the whole Romanian twin vampires thing). Code Geass? I don't recall Lelouch ever really being abused... harassed, yes, but not abused. Darker than Black, Steins;Gate, Spiral (violence, not abuse, unless there's a backstory I'm forgetting), Death Note (extra lots of violence, not abuse, or none that I can recall with any of the cast members that mattered), Ergo Proxy... Ghost in the Shell, I think? Blood+. Pretty much all of that, unless recollection fails, is absent of physical abuse to males or is straight-up violence. There are also animes that play abuse straight.

Oh, and there's also K-On! Trololololololo.

Sure, we're talking about Mikuru because she's female and she cries, but there are plenty more animes where the 'abused' is male and he doesn't cry (he doesn't even register he's being abused nine times out of ten).
And when he does, he just goes on 'anime tears' for a moment, then the Lead-Female says she's sorry, everything gets a light 'aww' moment...and then it's abuse because the male does something stupid or something stupid happens and it's back on the Abuse train.

That's usually in support of the tsundere character archetype, though, which is actually scientifically effective (if anyone didn't know, it has to do with the perception that a relationship between characters is progressing, and the tsundere archetype takes advantage of extremes to show that). That abuse is often portrayed with comedy in order to ease the perception of there being harmful elements of the relationship and emphasize the good bits. I think that's just become the MO for standard animes: cheap character and relationship development. The abuse is just something they figured they could get away with making light-hearted because it's so absurd and portrayed jokingly.

Ps:
I didn't know Foz or Love Hina riled up people. Sorry folks!

No probs.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14589 on: August 20, 2013, 09:27:00 am »

The Haruhi abuse thing is odd, because while it's not really something that's meant to be acceptable within the context of the story (it eventually comes to a head in the second series), it's also played for laughs and titilation.  Having cake and eating it I guess.

Also MLE's violence is really uncomfortable and I'm not sure if it's intended.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14590 on: August 20, 2013, 01:44:20 pm »

Hahahaha oh my god Makina's endings in Grisaia are amazing.  Is this suppose to get an anime in 2014 I heard?  How is that ever suppose to work.  How?!

Spoiler: Makina route images (click to show/hide)

All in all, that was ridiculous and cool.  Also sad.  :(  Still, the first half nothing really happens so it's a bit too long.

Well, might as well do a Yumiko spoiler one since I've finished that too.

Spoiler: Yumiko route images (click to show/hide)

All in all, ranges from incredibly silly melodrama to incredibly silly action to legitimately sad drama.  :(

There's also an apple metaphor in every route (so far), given the fact that a blue apple seems to be everywhere that makes sense.
Spoiler: apple sightings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:00:38 pm by ToonyMan »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14591 on: August 20, 2013, 04:52:35 pm »

Ah toony, you playing Grisaia too?
I finished both of those endings, and the Good Route Makina in my opinion has the most interesting concepts.

That said, I've also finished the Michiru route and am currently doing BOTH the Saki and the Amane route. (bit of this, bit of that)

Fun fact: every route unlocks 'something' of Yuji's past in some way, or reveals some side of him that otherwise the other routes don't even mention. (See in the Makina route, for example...)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14592 on: August 20, 2013, 05:45:15 pm »

I was going to go Michiru -> Sachi -> Amane next.  Might as well do the main heroine last.

That's kind of cool how each route takes a piece of Yuuji.

EDIT:
I really wouldn't mind if they continued Makina's Good End in some way.  I can't believe it ends just like that.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:50:09 pm by ToonyMan »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14593 on: August 20, 2013, 07:41:06 pm »

Yep, I'm pretty sure Attack on Titan was exactly what I wanted.  Thanks, dudes <3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #14594 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10:21 pm »

Just speculation...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:16:14 pm by kaenneth »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 2193