Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079141 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14280 on: July 21, 2013, 10:36:15 pm »

If there was an XCOM anime, it would focus on the command crew having to send people on hopeless suicide missions on a daily basis.
Soooo NGE
Whats NGE?

Neon Genesis Evangelion, I think. Those weren't quite hopeless suicide missions, though they came close.

Actually, I think an X-COM anime would be pretty cool, but it'd be pretty sad. It'd probably have a main character or two, but most of the other characters would die. That said, if it were based off the more recent XCOM: EU, it could certainly have a main team of six which manages to survive right up until the end. Because of the smaller squad size, recruits in Enemy Unknown tend to not die as frequently, but only as often as the anime would be comfortable. Actually, it'd be perfect, I think.
Also often called Boowells.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14281 on: July 21, 2013, 10:50:10 pm »

Here is how they would do a Xcom anime.

A 16 year old joins the Xcom unit along with the mysterious girl from class. He starts to lose an alien fight and gains super psychic powers after which he has to fight against alien super moves.

The reason I know an Xcom anime would suck is because I know how anime can fail. Their obsession with power clashes and youth will basically seal the anime's fate.

Heck even Gantz is the closest anime to Xcom as possible and even it wallowed in anime stereotypes.

Mind you I am probably just bitter because I forced my way through an entire anime in three days and in the end the most boring main character ever basically made all the other characters superfluous, the much more interesting characters... and instead of ending with a team fight against the villain, who should have been more powerful then the other characters, or at least been a tight fight... it ended with a "Ohh yeah I need to believe myself" Curb stomp.

Xcom eventually just turns into a game about a single person. Which is already all anime needs as an excuse to make it a boring main character butt kissing contest.

"Ohh Soldier, you are so amazing! How can I be as powerful as you?"
"It isn't your power that makes you strong soldier, we believe in you, you bring us hope"

Blaw blaw blaw.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:57:15 pm by Neonivek »

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14282 on: July 21, 2013, 10:58:09 pm »

Here is how they would do a Xcom anime.

A 16 year old joins the Xcom unit along with the mysterious girl from class. He starts to lose an alien fight and gains super psychic powers after which he has to fight against alien super moves.

The reason I know an Xcom anime would suck is because I know how anime can fail. Their obsession with power clashes and youth will basically seal the anime's fate.

Heck even Gantz is the closest anime to Xcom as possible and even it wallowed in anime stereotypes.

Neonivek, stahp. You're depressing me.

I mean, it'd be okay for the main or one of the important characters to be a psi soldier. In fact, I'd think it'd be mandatory, and that'd be a good thing. Hell, the entire squad could be all white or as far politically correct as can be. I don't care.

Just...please... think of the potential pathos. It could be sad, depressing, and thoughtful. They could delve into the theme of how humanity differs from the aliens. Hell, they could pull an Ender's Game when the aliens are beaten. It could be great.

Although, technically, I still haven't beaten Enemy Unknown.

Mind you I am probably just bitter because I forced my way through an entire anime in three days and in the end the most boring main character ever basically made all the other characters superfluous, the much more interesting characters... and instead of ending with a team fight against the villain, who should have been more powerful then the other characters, or at least been a tight fight... it ended with a "Ohh yeah I need to believe myself" Curb stomp.

Xcom eventually just turns into a game about a single person. Which is already all anime needs as an excuse to make it a boring main character butt kissing contest.

While I agree that "Ohh yeah I need to believe myself" curb stomp can get out of hand sometimes, I think anime like Gurren Lagann did it really well. I do agree that it does get really stupid and ridiculous some or even most of the time, though.

I don't know which XCOM you're playing. I've beaten neither the original XCOM nor the newer one, but whenever I played them, I usually made it a point to beef up a small team as heavily as possible. It wasn't really all that possible to play the game with just a single person because not even the power armor could protect your main character from wayward shots. You still needed rookies to scout, even if you did have a beefy Commander back in tow to tenderize everything. I really don't think that they could do an anime on XCOM with only a single main character and have it remain an anime about XCOM. It wouldn't feel right; it'd be like just stealing the brand.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:05:27 pm by Knirisk »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14283 on: July 21, 2013, 11:01:54 pm »

I realize that a Xcom anime COULD work.

But I am someone who believes anything could work. Heck Dog Days was about a world where war was considered so heinous that it was unthinkable and thus all war is done through sport, as well it is a world where your dreams of being important come true... I fully believe that premise could make a great anime (Heck I watched it thinking it would explore that premise, after which it did none of that).

But realistically no.

The best it can be is part of the gore animes where everyone dies constantly and the main character is a emo destroyed shell of a person who kills things in violent and terrible ways and then says things to make the audience sad.

"They could delve into the theme of how humanity differs from the aliens."

It probably is the wrong direction. Enemy Unknown did the exact opposite. The aliens became somehow less alien the more you understood them, many who felt like tragic victims.

It should start with them seeming as alien as possible and very mysterious but allow those layers to peel away.

My favorite aliens in the entire series will be the original sectoids.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:05:27 pm by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14284 on: July 21, 2013, 11:08:23 pm »

I realize that a Xcom anime COULD work.

But I am someone who believes anything could work. Heck Dog Days was about a world where war was considered so heinous that it was unthinkable and thus all war is done through sport, as well it is a world where your dreams of being important come true... I fully believe that premise could make a great anime (Heck I watched it thinking it would explore that premise, after which it did none of that).

But realistically no.

The best it can be is part of the gore animes where everyone dies constantly and the main character is a emo destroyed shell of a person who kills things in violent and terrible ways and then says things to make the audience sad.

It probably is the wrong direction. Enemy Unknown did the exact opposite. The aliens became somehow less alien the more you understood them, many who felt like tragic victims.

It should start with them seeming as alien as possible and very mysterious but allow those layers to peel away.

My favorite aliens in the entire series will be the original sectoids.
If they could aim it at the grittiness of Pumpkin Scissors without the crap storyline i will be happy.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14285 on: July 21, 2013, 11:09:51 pm »

Oh, God, please no. As much as my friends liked NGE, I was not a fan. I thought Shinji was a poor excuse for a human being, who are supposed to be one of the most adaptable species on our planet. Then again, I haven't watched the movies yet, though, to be honest, because I had enough after the second to last episode.

Actually, I should've worded my sentence better, because this is exactly the thing I was hoping for. I actually do want to eventually sympathize with the aliens.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14286 on: July 21, 2013, 11:10:15 pm »

If only Pumpkin Scissors had truly been gritty...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14287 on: July 21, 2013, 11:13:56 pm »

I would hope the anime is based more off of the old Xcom then the new Xcom.

It just made more sense on a plot level and the alien's tactics had quite a bit of thought behind them.

While the new Xcom is certainly on a larger scale, but makes less sense.

Perhaps they could be combined somehow?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14288 on: July 21, 2013, 11:16:40 pm »

A X-COM anime would be doable if they made all of the soldier characters clones. That way you keep the normal attrition rate, have persistent characters, and get to play with all those fun issues that come along with repeatedly dying and watching friends die. Original X-COM, by the way, not the TEH PSI HARO IS COME new one. That, or just make it a movie with a very large cast at the start. Have 30 or so solider characters at the opening, whittle it down to <5 of the original cast by the time the credits roll, and have the deaths of the starting character group follow something of an s-curve graph where they rapidly accelerate, remain high, and then eventually plateau with only a rare death here and there. It would fit very well with the style of a few other seinen series where the characters are all glass cannons who can dish out a lot of hurt while still being pretty squishy if they ever get unlucky or slow down.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14289 on: July 21, 2013, 11:18:32 pm »

If only Pumpkin Scissors had truly been gritty...
I have not seen the anime yet but for manga side it was really brutal at some point and when he cracks he cracked. Though farther in the story just kept getting worse and worse plus i still didn't get the plot.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14290 on: July 21, 2013, 11:25:11 pm »

A X-COM anime would be doable if they made all of the soldier characters clones. That way you keep the normal attrition rate, have persistent characters, and get to play with all those fun issues that come along with repeatedly dying and watching friends die. Original X-COM, by the way, not the TEH PSI HARO IS COME new one. That, or just make it a movie with a very large cast at the start. Have 30 or so solider characters at the opening, whittle it down to <5 of the original cast by the time the credits roll, and have the deaths of the starting character group follow something of an s-curve graph where they rapidly accelerate, remain high, and then eventually plateau with only a rare death here and there. It would fit very well with the style of a few other seinen series where the characters are all glass cannons who can dish out a lot of hurt while still being pretty squishy if they ever get unlucky or slow down.

That would be great. And yeah, I agree with the psi being from the original X-COM. To be honest, I just barely managed to get a single psi soldier in my EU game and he wrecks people's day so much it's almost unfair sometimes. Actually, now that I think about it, I REALLY hate psi in that game. Psi is far too powerful just because of its success rate. In a game where tactics, positioning, and cover are supposed to matter, it makes mincemeat of balance, IMO.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14291 on: July 21, 2013, 11:25:23 pm »

In that case, perhaps I'll have to read the manga.  The anime was... well, I think it wasn't high-budget enough to animate any gore or injuries, frankly, so though I tried very hard to like it, I couldn't.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14292 on: July 22, 2013, 11:51:29 am »

plus Gonzo sucks

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14293 on: July 24, 2013, 01:00:50 pm »

So I started watching an anime based off of Dance Dance Revolution... err I mean Street Racing.

A few things surprised me
1) There MUST be a Initial D Rhythm game, it practically sounds like it is going through the DDR catalog.
2) They actually CARE about the Comic Relief's feelings!? This surprised me so greatly I actually stood up in my seat. You NEVER see this... the comic relief's feelings never matter unless someone is beating them up.
3) Dracula Car!

I am actually loving it so far. Sure the 3d is terrible but I'd prefer an anime that actually shows me the actually process and moves over... "Stop motion attack!"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:18:47 pm by Neonivek »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14294 on: July 24, 2013, 01:32:33 pm »

Watching avatar the last airbender.

Watching is not the right word though... binging? yes, that's more appropriate. I've been going for four days and I'm halfway through book 3 already.
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 2193