Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078132 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13800 on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:32 pm »

Here is another Manga that deserves more attention...
Slight warning, some pages could be considered NSFW...

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shokugeki_no_soma/c001/

Squid food turned into tentacles. Literally, but in a metaphoric way. I hope it was metaphoric, or there's some more genres to add to this series.

Then I kept reading on. He had to cook something with meat, but they had no meat. The first scene of him cooking looks like he was chopping up his hand to throw into the pan to compensate. That would have been an interesting turn of events.

And then everyone exploded from the taste.

This is strangely enjoyable. How do you find these?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: May 15, 2013, 09:37:04 pm »

How do you find these?
I get bored. I click the Surprise button.. :P

Here have another...
Korean Webtoon. About Devils/Angels and the Age old story about Faust and... well the first page tells you...
http://mangafox.me/manga/soul_cartel/v01/c000/1.html
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: May 15, 2013, 11:42:03 pm »

Dear holy goodness is Anime obsessed with throwing their female cast under a bus.

It SUCKS being a female character in anime unless you happen to be in a female dominated anime (or are the solo lead).

42 episodes...

Can I go back to being ignorant of Fairy Tail sucking?

I mean congratulations anime, once again you proven that I should stop caring about the female characters because they will never amount to anything because the importance express requires manhood. UGH!

Now I am sad.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:47:18 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: May 16, 2013, 03:39:45 am »

You're on that again? Notice that every time you write about that it's one of the long-running Shonen battle series? First Naruto, now Fairy Tail. What about all the other genres? A bit much to say all anime does that, when all your examples are in a very narrow genre that some of us don't even watch. At best, you can say Shonen does that thing. But I personally wouldn't know.

To make the broad claim that "anime is obsessed" with something, you need to show examples from a wide range of genres.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:43:49 am by Reelya »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: May 16, 2013, 03:47:35 am »

Makes me glad i stay off of Shonen, i have only set im reading now that i can enjoy cause they can keep the battles around for upto 3 chapters without boring the hell out of me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: May 16, 2013, 03:51:55 am »

I've had Tatami Galaxy sitting on my computer for...one year!

Go watch it. Seriously. It's great. I started living life more after watching it.

I really like the art style... looks interesting too. Might have to give this a watch!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: May 16, 2013, 04:00:27 am »

You're on that again? Notice that every time you write about that it's one of the long-running Shonen martial-arts battle series? First Naruto, now Fairy Tail. What about all the other genres? A bit much to say all anime does that, when all your examples are in a very narrow genre that some of us don't even watch.

Mostly because I don't have the stomach for gore and blood... or for most series where there is a large population difference between genders. As well I prefer longer shows to shorter ones (18 episode animes are very common).

Also I've been in other genres and they follow that basic pattern as well.

Though if you want other series that do the same thing. Detective Q was pretty short and it didn't take long for every female character to be thrown under the bus, and it wasn't a show that involved battles.

Heck if we include shows where there is ANY form of competition, yeah they all fall under that unless the lead happens to be female (Dang that series tended to break a lot of my expectations... such as making weaknesses genuine weaknesses as well as making the character's strengths not factor in all the time).

Though if that is a challenge, I can attempt to prove the pattern correct. I still remember the general rules
1) The main character cannot be female
2) The cast cannot be majorly female
(The first is excluded because it is the lead, she is excluded like the Queen of England from the caste system. The second is excluded because that means the show has a female focus)

Mind you not that I haven't seen that happen in the second case...

There are three ways the anime can fall under this
1) The female character who was competent becomes incompetent or subservient in accordance to the focus of the show (Marchen Awakens Romance)
2) The female character's plotline is thrown out or forgotten about (Yakkate Japan)
3) The female character's plotline is solved by a male character (Fairy Tail)

Technically Prince of Tennis doesn't do any of those 3 (except maybe the second... ok the second) but it achieves this simply by making every female character incompetent by default and its general sexist attitude towards women and women tennis players.

Makes me glad i stay off of Shonen, i have only set im reading now that i can enjoy cause they can keep the battles around for upto 3 chapters without boring the hell out of me.

Honestly I am not sure how much I've seen is Shonen. Gundam is Shonen right?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:05:30 am by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: May 16, 2013, 04:18:39 am »

It was since pretty much it was targets for boys and their obsession for robots.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: May 16, 2013, 04:30:26 am »

You're on that again? Notice that every time you write about that it's one of the long-running Shonen martial-arts battle series? First Naruto, now Fairy Tail. What about all the other genres? A bit much to say all anime does that, when all your examples are in a very narrow genre that some of us don't even watch.

Mostly because I don't have the stomach for gore and blood... or for most series where there is a large population difference between genders. As well I prefer longer shows to shorter ones (18 episode animes are very common).

Also I've been in other genres and they follow that basic pattern as well.

Though if you want other series that do the same thing. Detective Q was pretty short and it didn't take long for every female character to be thrown under the bus, and it wasn't a show that involved battles.

Heck if we include shows where there is ANY form of competition, yeah they all fall under that unless the lead happens to be female (Dang that series tended to break a lot of my expectations... such as making weaknesses genuine weaknesses as well as making the character's strengths not factor in all the time).

Though if that is a challenge, I can attempt to prove the pattern correct. I still remember the general rules
1) The main character cannot be female
2) The cast cannot be majorly female
(The first is excluded because it is the lead, she is excluded like the Queen of England from the caste system. The second is excluded because that means the show has a female focus)

Mind you not that I haven't seen that happen in the second case...

There are three ways the anime can fall under this
1) The female character who was competent becomes incompetent or subservient in accordance to the focus of the show (Marchen Awakens Romance)
2) The female character's plotline is thrown out or forgotten about (Yakkate Japan)
3) The female character's plotline is solved by a male character (Fairy Tail)

Technically Prince of Tennis doesn't do any of those 3 (except maybe the second... ok the second) but it achieves this simply by making every female character incompetent by default and its general sexist attitude towards women and women tennis players.

Honestly I am not sure how much I've seen is Shonen. Gundam is Shonen right?

Yeah, Gundam is classed as Shonen according to myanimelist, as are Marchen Awakes Romance, Detective Q and Yakitate!! Japan.

Try Dennou Coil or Bokurano if you haven't seen those. IDK why you say you watch so many Shonen series purely to avoid gore, i've watched a lot of series, don't really go for gore, yet haven't ended up watching many things categorized as "shonen".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:34:11 am by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: May 16, 2013, 10:16:57 am »

I'd argue that shounen is more likely to have, at the very least, large amounts of violence, which is typically a prereq for gore; like Reelya, I agree that it seems rather odd to watch shounen to avoid gore, unless you're only doing so in contrast to seinen.  I think Dennou Coil breaks the first rule, though, even though it does have strong, competent female secondary characters that do not have anything to do with the competence of the female lead character.  Those restrictions do seem to me a little odd, too; don't most of anime shows listed have a large proportion of males to females, especially in primary roles?  I don't watch enough shounen to know most of them off the top of my head, but stuff like Yakitate Japan was, I thought, only one short step above the token female rule.  For that matter, most shounen in general seems to have male-dominated casts, with females in supporting or secondary roles at best.  I don't really think he's wrong in general, actually, or at least, he's not wrong for the highly-restrictive limitations he put into place for an anime to qualify for evidence of his argument. 

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: May 16, 2013, 11:56:54 am »

Want to see Nobunaga in another light? How about from the perspective of a Japanese Girl transported back in time to the Sengoku Jidai era...

Once again another manga that needs attention, sadly no new releases since August last year...
http://mangafox.me/manga/sengoku_strays/v01/c001/1.html

Also, if your interested in more Time Traveling Maidens who end up rocking it in great positions...
http://mangafox.me/manga/anatolia_story/
Also known as Red River I believe if its the one I remember correctly. A tale of a young girl transported back to the Copper Age of the Hittite Empire (old Turkey I believe)...

Or maybe, a Male Lead...
http://mangafox.me/manga/arata_kangatari/v01/c001/1.html
Here the young man from our world is swapped with a Parallel worldly Twin by accident, arriving in a world where gods take the form of Powerful Weapons he discovers that he has been forced into a Contest of sorts after a near deadly case of mistaken identity...

Do you like Demons??? I do... Do you like Underdogs reaching for the Strength to protect everyone, then grasping it??? I love those stories...
DO YOU LIKE TO SEE DEMONS GET DESTROYED!!! I LOVE IT!!! Do you like dogs??? How about Dogs of the Grave? Devil Dogs? Hell Hounds? Cerberus???
http://mangafox.me/manga/cerberus/v01/c001/1.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:24:13 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: May 16, 2013, 03:48:33 pm »

don't most of anime shows listed have a large proportion of males to females, especially in primary roles?

Not always, what made me so hopeful with Fairy Tail is that it had nearly a 50/50 split between male and female characters. Of the four leads there were two male and two females.

On some of the minor teams with three people it was common to have two males and one female leader of the group. Quite a few duo teams were male and female.

Of the four "strongest" people in the guild, two were male and two were female.

While there were more male characters it gets close enough to 50/50 to count. It is only the villains where the 50/50 balance is thrown off (Generally speaking every villain group of 5 has 1 female)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:51:54 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: May 16, 2013, 04:24:03 pm »

So does anyone else here build mecha models? I got into the hobby about half a year ago.

Spoiler: my current collection (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: May 16, 2013, 06:56:18 pm »

I watched the first season of "My sister cannot be this cute" Or something. I just call it Ore No. It was amazing but I feel weird for liking it. Also started Toradora! because it's great. I'm on like, episode nine. It's a shame there was never an official english translation.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: May 16, 2013, 06:57:57 pm »

I watched the first season of "My sister cannot be this cute" Or something. I just call it Ore No. It was amazing but I feel weird for liking it. Also started Toradora! because it's great. I'm on like, episode nine. It's a shame there was never an official english translation.

Trust me when I say that translation for a half-interested translation team is far inferior to fan translation with intelligent interested people.

Often fan translations even go through deliberations making them even more accurate.

At least I say so because I seen both the official and unofficial translation of my favorite anime.
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 2193