Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077623 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13650 on: April 25, 2013, 10:28:37 pm »

Finished Girls und Panzer.  It was...OK.  Too much moeblob for my tastes at times, but it was short and sweet considering it sat at 12 episodes (plus 2 recap episodes).  Even if the tank battles tended to be a forgone conclusion (usually) and setting aside some of the "MST3K Mantra" premise (OK, tank battles as recreational sport and academies housed on aircraft carriers, sure, but why is the all-powerful student council still a thing? Conservation of characters?).  I kinda want to find a good anime that doesn't feel the need to pander to that particular periphery demographic, though.  Ah, well, it is as it is, I suppose.

Honestly I am starting to think "Manly tears" was always a joke. In that all tears are the same.
Nope.  Fun fact, but there are actually significant differences between tears due to emotion and tears due to physical irritation of the eyes, and I think (if I recall the research properly; it's been a long time) even between tears of happiness and tears of sorrow, particularly in hormone content and distribution.  Which is not at all relevant to the phenomenon of "manly tears" (which is purely sociological in origin, corresponding to what has already been said), of course. :D

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13651 on: April 25, 2013, 10:40:40 pm »

Attack on Pingu

I don't know what this Pingu thing is, but I'm officially a fan of it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:57:11 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13653 on: April 25, 2013, 11:13:15 pm »

I feel so very interested in that series, but after taking a look at the tropes page I fear for my psyche >_<
It's FEF, not FEOF

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13654 on: April 25, 2013, 11:20:10 pm »

And if they follow the manga, it gets worse. Don't watch it unless you're willing to see people (and not just nameless ones) die horrible deaths at the hands of things born in the uncanny valley.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13655 on: April 25, 2013, 11:46:44 pm »

Oh yes, the manga gets so much worse. By the current most-recent chapter it has already descended into complete mindfuckery.

Also, just watched Little Witch Academia. Very cute, quite fun to watch as well. I think someone was suggesting that it would be good if they made a full season from it, but I don't really agree with that. It was nicely self-contained with just enough mystery to keep things interesting until the end, and the plot moved at a good pace (mostly because it was a short). I wouldn't be opposed to another short or three in the same setting, but I think that it would lose a lot of charm under an episodic format.

That aside, I liked the art style very much. That sort of Japanese/Western fusion style can be hit-or-miss, but I think this managed to do it very well, taking good aspects from both.

3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13656 on: April 25, 2013, 11:54:37 pm »

Oh yes, the manga gets so much worse. By the current most-recent chapter it has already descended into complete mindfuckery.

I'm not sure if I still want to be a fan of Pingu.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13657 on: April 25, 2013, 11:57:08 pm »

Not sure if joking or not. Still laughing.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13658 on: April 25, 2013, 11:57:39 pm »

You don't get to chose if you're going to be a fan of Pingu. Humans are doomed to watch Pingu regardless of what they do to avoid it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13659 on: April 26, 2013, 12:58:59 am »

I just finished Angel Beats!

I nearly shed manly tears.
To cheer yourself up, you should watch "Air"

BTW i just watched Busou Shinki. The (~40 minutes in total) "Moon Angel" OVA is ok, but the 12 episode TV version is just really bad episodic ecchi/harem/slice of life and the visuals just aren't as good as the OVA, well a few of the episodes were fun, but nothing amazing. At the very least, there was a better action / ecchi ratio than Sekirei, I'll give it that. The entire idea, which seems to be about guys collecting killer robot barbies (implied killer robot lesbian barbies in the TV version) is more than a little creepy though (although I know it's based on a range of toys / games, and it sticks to the premise, at least). I like the whole mecha musume aesthetic, but it's shame there aren't more than a handful of shows to pick from.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:35:33 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13660 on: April 26, 2013, 01:30:34 am »

By the by don't do "Air" it is another "Depression for depression sake" anime.

Or rather it is an anime that likes to revel in how sad it is.

So if you are sad don't pick Air.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13661 on: April 26, 2013, 06:44:05 am »

I just finished Angel Beats!

I nearly shed manly tears.
To cheer yourself up, you should watch "Air"

BTW i just watched Busou Shinki. The (~40 minutes in total) "Moon Angel" OVA is ok, but the 12 episode TV version is just really bad episodic ecchi/harem/slice of life and the visuals just aren't as good as the OVA, well a few of the episodes were fun, but nothing amazing. At the very least, there was a better action / ecchi ratio than Sekirei, I'll give it that. The entire idea, which seems to be about guys collecting killer robot barbies (implied killer robot lesbian barbies in the TV version) is more than a little creepy though (although I know it's based on a range of toys / games, and it sticks to the premise, at least). I like the whole mecha musume aesthetic, but it's shame there aren't more than a handful of shows to pick from.

Oh hey I heard of those! They became ultra popular among photo comic makers for some reason in this one big transformers forum a few years back and then suddenly all of them started using them to pad out the gender ratio.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:03:03 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13662 on: April 26, 2013, 11:00:06 am »

Ok, what's this I'm hearing about HBO planning to make a live action adaptation of the manga MONSTER? For reals? The potential for good/bad stuff makes me wonder & intrigued if it's true...
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13663 on: April 26, 2013, 12:00:03 pm »

Ok, what's this I'm hearing about HBO planning to make a live action adaptation of the manga MONSTER? For reals? The potential for good/bad stuff makes me wonder & intrigued if it's true...
Apparently this is a thing. Hopefully they won't muck it up. HBO at least tries to be decent sometimes, so there's a chance it won't be a cast of Americans and set in California.

3. Run Resize Enable

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13664 on: April 26, 2013, 01:50:38 pm »

Cute guys doing cute things. Inbound.

Brace for another Aku no Hana-like shitstorm, fellas. Paradigm shifts flying everywhere this season.
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 2193