Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3076980 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13425 on: March 20, 2013, 08:59:08 pm »

Soul Eater is reasonably gender-balanced. The main main characters are a male-female weapon/wielder duo, the other main characters are considerably less flattering versions of the same (male wielders who should be competent but often aren't due to crippling mental quirks, straightwoman female weapons), and then the supporting cast is mostly male and the villain cast is mostly female.

Cowboy Bebop would probably count. It's a bit harder to say for certain on that one, because everyone did things differently and counting Ed as female is debatable, but strictly speaking the main cast was split 3/2 (yes I'm counting Ein; he was confirmed male, right?) and generally all equally important/effective/well-developed.

Samurai Champloo might count, depending on how you define things. Obviously Fuu was never even remotely as competent at most things as the two male characters, but she was still important and interesting without just being a macguffin or useless side character who's there for no reason.

From western media, Avatar: The Last Airbender is pretty gender balanced. Sokka's a bit on the useless side most of the time, but I'd say he manages to be competent often enough to not just be a useless gag character, and [slight spoiler] joined in pretty soon anyway.

Hrm? I've never had any trouble relating to female characters. Or black characters. Or alien ones that are purple and of a weird third gender. All I need for that is for them to have human personalities.
I guess I'd agree with this, but "human personalities" might be a misnomer. Usually I end up rooting for whatever's cackling maniacally while doing horrible horrible things. :I
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13426 on: March 20, 2013, 10:01:09 pm »

No one has mentioned Moribito, be ashamed

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13427 on: March 20, 2013, 10:31:13 pm »

I watched Hourou Musuko over the past two days and don't regret the experience. Unfortunately the anime ends abruptly and seems to gloss over a few big events only to mention them in passing.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13428 on: March 21, 2013, 03:27:38 am »

Don't forget that Hinata's storyline is completely unresolved.

You know how "All the female characters kick butt"? Yeah that is only in the Naruto Anime. Hinata didn't even get her awsome defensive gentle fists.

Pretty much in my experience if a female character kicks ass, she continues to be able to kick ass for the whole series.

Hey Sakura how well did you do against that rope? What another character had to tell you, the SMARTEST and strongest willed person on the team, how to cut rope with a knife, something that Sakura would have?

That pretty much sums it up right there. Sakura becomes so stupid in the anime that she forgets how to cut things.

Naruto? really? A show for 12 year olds is the only example you can give? I was going to add to my previous post a snarky comment asking 'you got ANY examples other than the "big 3" shonen battle shows e.g. Naruto, Bleach, etc' but I thought the discussion was about ANIME in general, not very specific animes.

So you got any better argument than "well, i saw that in Naruto so it must be a universal anime law"?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13429 on: March 21, 2013, 03:30:23 am »

Anybody read Girls of the Wild's?

Very neat korean webcomic, updated weekly, about the one guy in a martial arts school.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13430 on: March 21, 2013, 06:24:57 am »

Naruto? really? A show for 12 year olds is the only example you can give?

Of shows that throw their female characters under the bus? Of course not. I was responding to someone else as this isn't a conversation of Animes that do it wrong but of ones that do it right.

I was refuting Naruto as an anime that does it right.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:33:21 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13431 on: March 21, 2013, 08:44:02 am »

Watched the first episode of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei ( Tatami Galaxy) today, holy moly there's some fast talking in this show, and it's very verbose / psychological. I'm having real trouble following the subs, and i had no difficulty at all with Excel Saga / Puni Puni Poemi.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:46:38 am by Reelya »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #13432 on: March 21, 2013, 09:53:37 am »

Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero (both only sort of).
Moribito (almost exclusively)

I can't think of any more at this time.

You first.

Wait, unless you mean Moribito applies for the balanced cast of the sexes? My response was to the spear-wielding question, but now that I think about it, it does have a pretty balanced cast. I haven't seen the whole thing, though, so I'm not certain.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:00:35 am by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13433 on: March 21, 2013, 11:03:04 am »

I have a question: Is there someone who have seen Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing and the first Last Exile?

Wherever I go, I see reviews that say LE:Fam is more or less worse than the first LE :v

I'm asking cuz soon I will have a week of free time so I would kinda want to watch somethign interesting.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13434 on: March 21, 2013, 03:49:24 pm »

Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero (both only sort of).
Moribito (almost exclusively)

I can't think of any more at this time.

You first.

Wait, unless you mean Moribito applies for the balanced cast of the sexes? My response was to the spear-wielding question, but now that I think about it, it does have a pretty balanced cast. I haven't seen the whole thing, though, so I'm not certain.
yea it answers both the questions but for my focus it was for the sex balanced cast.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13435 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:22 pm »

I have a question: Is there someone who have seen Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing and the first Last Exile?

Wherever I go, I see reviews that say LE:Fam is more or less worse than the first LE :v

I'm asking cuz soon I will have a week of free time so I would kinda want to watch somethign interesting.

I'm halfway through Fam. So far, I'd say the honors are about even, with Fam being slightly weaker because it takes some time to establish any real connection to the previous series besides the use of Vanships.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13436 on: March 24, 2013, 01:15:00 am »

Randomly watching an anime called 'Kotoura-San', and in the first 10 minutes, I get treated to a montage of a girl slowly being destroyed by the circumstances about mind-reading and shiz. :<
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13437 on: March 29, 2013, 11:48:19 am »

I'm preparing to start watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but before I do: is there any reason why 110 episodes of space opera isn't going to be a good thing?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13438 on: March 29, 2013, 01:42:59 pm »

It took me a while to understand the ending of Ouran club... but it is what I call a "Glimpse into the future" ending. Where the results of the ending is meant to reflect what will happen days, months, or years into the future.

It still isn't perfect mind you (one character giving up because... no reason) but it does answer all the questions... badly.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13439 on: March 29, 2013, 01:51:21 pm »

I'm preparing to start watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but before I do: is there any reason why 110 episodes of space opera isn't going to be a good thing?
Very slow pacing at times. To quote tvtropes, "It's possible to watch an episode where the heroes prepare for an invasion, skip ahead three episodes, and find the heroes still preparing for that same invasion."
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 2193