Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075444 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13230 on: January 26, 2013, 02:57:42 am »

There is an episode where the events that happen just line up and parody Gunslinger girl.

Was there something before Gunslinger girl that involved small girl assassines?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13231 on: January 26, 2013, 03:02:07 am »

Given that it's ridiculous/the opposite of what you'd expect, I'd imagine so/doubt it'd need a specific source to be parodying unless they make a point of only mocking specific existing things.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: January 26, 2013, 03:03:17 am »

Been watching Wedding Peach with the fiance and her brother. Um... wow.

I'm having difficulty describing it beyond "it's Wedding Peach." It's a wedding themed Sailor Moon that's both absurdly bad and wonderful at the same time. Mostly bad but it has its upsides, like some hilariously incompetent villains and homoerotic innuendo. And for the downsides, well... there are so many long transformation scenes that the fiance and I just decided to make out during them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: January 26, 2013, 03:55:05 am »

There is an episode where the events that happen just line up and parody Gunslinger girl.

I did a bit of google research, and a Gunslinger Girl mentioned the Excel Saga episode, and also the anime Noir. Also by following recommendations from Gunslinger Girl on myanimelist, i can find a pile of 90's manga or anime about little girl assassins, e.g:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/320/Kite

Sawa is a school girl, an orphan, and an assassin. She is being controlled by a corrupt cop who gives her targets to kill, detailing to her the crimes these men have committed in order to justify their death. Some of his power over Sawa has to do with her deceased parents and the promise of revenge. When another orphan, a teenage boy called Oburi, is brought in to assist Sawa, the two teenage killers form a bond of sorts. As they heal each other's emotional wounds, they begin to dream of a life that would not be spent under the shadows of murder.

There's also stuff like Battle Angel Alita. Though Alita was a loli cyborg bounty-hunter, rather than an assassin per-se.

I think Gunslinger Girl and Excel Saga's parody were both derived from previous works, but Gunslinger Girl tried to take a different perspective on the killer little girl story, focusing on the psychology rather than the gunfights.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:58:56 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13234 on: January 26, 2013, 04:02:10 am »

and yet the same problem percists. they are really bad at their job, just that no one is competent enough for that to matter.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13235 on: January 26, 2013, 04:07:14 am »

Everyone in Excel Saga is deliberately bad at everything. That's standard fare in parodies. Competence would be out of place. Being incompetent in Excel Saga is hardly a link to other shows with incompetent characters.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:11:15 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: January 26, 2013, 04:10:03 am »

Everyone in Excel Saga is deliberately bad at everything. That's standard fare in parodies. Competence would be out of place. Being incompetent in Excel Saga is hardly a link to other shows with incompetent characters.

I was talking about Gunslinger girl.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13237 on: January 27, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »

It's that time again!  On volume 9 of Gantz.  I've put this off for a long time thanks to its length and stuff, but I can't be picky (god knows I'm not with VNs).
(Not shown: Every chapter has nudity)

As for my opinion, I don't know.  It's kind of like The Matrix meets Battle Royale and there's a lot of nonsense.  Round 1 upset me because there was such an unclear objective and what-the-hell-are-we-doing-ness that caused a lot of unnecessary problems.  Round 2 was an improvement overall but still did some things I didn't like (probably want to check the bottom of the spoiler tag for actual details) but the WTFness was pretty good.  Round 3 was completely insane and I finally got to see that manga page that everybody has probably seen and it's great.  You know what I'm talking about.  It was probably the best round so far in freshness.  Currently on Round 4 which seems to be back to Round 1-2 levels of hrrmmm.

I'm also almost done with the first season of Full Metal Panic, it is quite mediocre.  I'll look forward to the KyoAni seasons.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: January 27, 2013, 05:18:32 pm »

I think the reason Nishi was able to survive so many rounds was because
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13239 on: January 27, 2013, 05:22:47 pm »

That makes sense.  I'm still curious how the enemies are designed at all, it seems completely random which kind of hurts typical RPG progression and makes it more...a slaughter-fest.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13240 on: January 27, 2013, 05:27:16 pm »

Goodness are people in Gantz olympic level cry babies

Even when I balled my eyes out I never got that sort of tear duct action.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: January 27, 2013, 05:31:09 pm »

That makes sense.  I'm still curious how the enemies are designed at all, it seems completely random which kind of hurts typical RPG progression and makes it more...a slaughter-fest.
This answers your question, but is also a spoiler for where you are in the story (I think). Read at your own risk:

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #13242 on: January 27, 2013, 05:48:46 pm »

GANTZ! Ahhhhhh! He'll save every one of us!

I normally don't like graphic series, but man that phasing sure is cool. And Round 4 is way more dumb in the anime than in the manga, so at least there's that.

As for FMP. Of the KyoAni seasons, the side series has its moments, but the second season might actually be worse than the first. It was kinda boring, honestly. Better animated though.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13243 on: January 27, 2013, 11:34:48 pm »

It's certainly in my top five favorite manga series, not least because of how absolutely batshit insane it becomes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13244 on: January 28, 2013, 12:57:57 am »

It's certainly in my top five favorite manga series, not least because of how absolutely batshit insane it becomes.

Ohh my

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 2193