Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075010 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12810 on: November 14, 2012, 12:56:02 pm »

Hm. Yagami Hayate was certainly sick in A's, and was remarkably kind, but she also wasn't necessarily what one would call 'meek' or 'well-behaved'. Especially in the sound stages...

Bit of a borderline example, though. I'm trying to think of something that's more of a direct subversion. Might be back here later.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12811 on: November 14, 2012, 10:42:36 pm »

Then again, Hayate being sick was mostly from the Book of Darkness. As soon as that cleared up she was out of this category, so there wasn't exactly a lot of time for her to be meek or well-behaved.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12812 on: November 14, 2012, 10:47:07 pm »

The anime Sola uses the sick girl trope. Worth checking out if you like any of the "Key" anime series (Kanon, Air, Clannad, Angel Beats). It was developed from a concept by the main writer of Kanon.
Spoiler: plot twist spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:47:51 am by Reelya »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12813 on: November 15, 2012, 01:50:32 am »

I finished Kikokugai -The Cyber Slayer-.  That was so short geez.  I played most of it yesterday and finished it today.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was...good?  I don't know how I feel for the ending but chapter 4 was great.  Screw you Urobuchi.  Although this is probably my second favorite read of his behind Fate/zero.  It's too bad the remake wasn't translated in English, it looks to copy Muramasa's style.

I'm going to miss this.  ;_;

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: November 20, 2012, 08:08:01 pm »

To answer your questions, flying dice : From CG, 'real' characters, the struggle of grey and dark grey morality, the depressing realism, and the fact that two best friends end up as enemies in the name of good.
From TTGL : Mainly the balls - out ridiculousness of the characters without giving any of them any explicit special powers.
From FMA : Generally falls somewhere between the two; strikes a good balance of feel - good and realistic dangers.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12815 on: November 20, 2012, 08:10:07 pm »

Various Gundam series?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: November 20, 2012, 08:29:23 pm »

I tried a couple of times to get into Gundam, but it never "stuck". Though I'm a big fan of the various Macross series. One thing I've read people comment on is that Gundam is more about the machines, Macross is more about the people.

"Macross Zero" has pretty grey morality (as do pretty much all the Macross series'). The main thing defining the "Good Guys" is that the show is mainly from their perspective. The motivations for fighting from the protagonists on both sides of the war are almost identical down to the full-stops. It sort of shows how showing the same story from a different perspective can change who you "root" for as the hero. Also, epic aerial dogfighting.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:49:19 pm by Reelya »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12817 on: November 20, 2012, 08:49:20 pm »

That "more about the people" thing also applies to code geass. I've had a lot of people be cautious of my recomendation because of the robots, only to realize theres no real focus on them. The thing there IS a focus on there is the technological arms race between lloyd and rakshata. which is awesome.

I went to watch macross once but my brain shut down because of the actual planes in space.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12818 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:37 pm »

"Rule of Cool" for the space planes. But they're actually multi-purposed aerospace fighters if that makes you more comfortable. They're first shown operating within the atmosphere, before ending up in space. To work in atmosphere as well as space, you do need to have a plane-like aerodynamic. Look at the space shuttle.

Note that the aliens "pods" do not resemble planes, and it's noted in the script that the humans have an advantage on Earth, but once they head into space, the aliens start kicking butt.

Plus, in the OVAs Macross Plus & Macross Zero, they never leave the atmosphere at all. so there are entire seasons of Macross without any space action.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:00:30 pm by Reelya »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12819 on: November 20, 2012, 08:58:06 pm »

The only thing I've really got against CG is how the ending pans out. Other than that I thought it was JENIUS.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:11:49 pm by Korbac »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12820 on: November 20, 2012, 09:01:11 pm »

I haven't seen the end of CG: R1 or R2 yet, so no spoilers plz

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12821 on: November 20, 2012, 09:06:45 pm »

Oh man, you're in for a treat. :D

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12822 on: November 20, 2012, 09:09:19 pm »

The ending ranks as the best in any piece of story i've read, seen or anything else. You go a tad bit close to spoiling it there korbac, might want to edit it slightly.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13:45 pm »

Sorry guys, my bad.  :-[

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12824 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »

Another one I'd recommend is "higurashi no naku koro ni", which is basically a huge "whodunnit" mystery about a series of bizarre murders, that takes two seasons to unravel the truth with lots of inexplicable (at first) mind-fuckery.

Not without it's flaws (toonyman would say it doesn't do justice to the source material), but it definitely ranks as one of the more interesting, convoluted and original series. (definitely one to avoid reading anymore about and just go in blind and try and work out what's happening by yourself).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:29:27 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 2193