Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075512 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12645 on: October 09, 2012, 01:16:42 pm »

The first episode of the new JJBA anime is out. It's very faithful to the manga, to the point of being somewhat crammed. Nothing too noteworthy - seems they are trying to get through Phantom Blood as fast as possible, which is probably a good thing - except for the glorious DUWANG (gag) sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwogGst1G8
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A fucking masterpiece. Especially their subbing of the ending. I'm still giggling.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:51:02 pm by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #12646 on: October 09, 2012, 02:32:07 pm »

The first episode of the new JJBA anime is out. It's very faithful to the manga, to the point of being somewhat crammed. Nothing too noteworthy - seems they are trying to get through Phantom Blood as fast as possible, which is probably a good thing - except for the glorious DUWANG (gag) sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwogGst1G8

A fucking masterpiece. Especially their subbing of the ending. I'm still giggling.

I, for one, still can't tell what the hell ABAJ! is supposed to mean.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12647 on: October 09, 2012, 06:50:40 pm »

Onomatopoeia of shock or surprise, I think.

I really should have spoilered that image.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12648 on: October 10, 2012, 05:29:09 am »

Just watched the first episode of Sora no Woto on a whim looking for new short animes, it's actually shaping up a lot better than I expected it to, slice of life, some beautiful architecture and backgrounds, pacing and atmosphere kind of reminiscent of Haibane Renmei, or maybe Aria, but with more action sequences. Probably something I'd recommend to those who like slice of life.

A similar themed (alternate history, girls, war) but polar opposite of Sora no Woto would have to be a new one that just started airing in Japan called Girls und Panzer, "from the makers of Strike Witches", which already tells you more than you wanted to know ;D anyway here's a rundown of the "plot":
"Plot"
The story will focus around high school girls battling in tanks. The setting involves a universe where the art of operating tanks (戦車道 Sensha-dō?) is a traditional martial art for girls. The protagonist, Miho, moves to Oarai Girl's High School, where she is ordered by the student council chairperson to participate in the national Sensha-dō championship
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:18:35 am by Reelya »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12649 on: October 10, 2012, 06:21:25 am »

"Someone was saying the world is ending. But I like this world."
Ah, Sora no Woto...I'm quite fond of that show as well. Has quite an interesting setting & themes explored throughout it's short run. Also liked the Spider Tanks (Takemikazuchi!). I'm quite fond of the "Witch of Helvetia" & her future dream/goal.
I finally finished up Busou Renkin. I really enjoyed that for the little positive action shonen it was.
Still, really love that opening theme song. The entire series was worth watching just for how awesome that one tune is.
Indeed...
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12650 on: October 10, 2012, 06:43:57 am »

Haha, one of the "bad" reviews of Sora No Woto on myanimelist managed to completely misunderstand the setting altogether. Gotta love when that happens :/ The reviewer was like "if there's a war on, why are there only 5 girls stationed there, and why do they have this kickass tank? Makes no sense."

Actually, it's stated in the opening few minutes that it's a ceasefire or lull between wars, and the town they're "guarding" is clearly way, way out in the middle of nowhere, and the tank's kaput. So, basically an army depleted by warfare left a tank crew as a token garrison out in the sticks, with a broken tank. Presumably the bulk of the forces are guarding more strategic locations, and actually have working tanks.

The only far-fetched thing is that they're all girls, but since this is some form of alternate history or future, and the military tends to segregate by sex anyway, it's not really too far-fetched - even by modern standards.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12651 on: October 10, 2012, 06:52:20 am »

So I started catching up on the latest Detective Conan chapters. Hopy shit I did not see that coming. I mean Bourbon's revelation was bound to happen, and the Orient Express jokes were expected (damn you, Kogoro), but

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12652 on: October 10, 2012, 07:19:51 am »

The only far-fetched thing is that they're all girls, but since this is some form of alternate history or future, and the military tends to segregate by sex anyway, it's not really too far-fetched - even by modern standards.
What are you talking about all the men were sent first and died clearly.  Now wear these plastic suits

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12653 on: October 10, 2012, 07:35:10 am »

Funny thing is, this is the first sci-fi all-girl military anime I've seen where all the outfits are also 100% realistic army-greens - and they have their pants on, unlike Strike Witches.
Spoiler: Sora no Woto uniforms (click to show/hide)
They possibly look Germanic as opposed to American or British uniform designs, and interestingly the country in the anime is the "Republic of Helvetia", which is set in the mountains and:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Helvetia is the female national personification of Switzerland, officially Confœderatio Helvetica, the "Helvetic Confederation".
So there seems to be a little more thought in the setting than I initially thought, rather than just "army girls".

The polar opposite in this case would be something like Sky Girls or Infinite Stratos, where they state the mecha won't work unless you're wearing swimsuits. Sky Girls has by far the better story out of those two shows (Infinite Stratos is an ecchi harem show about boob-groping, so it's not hard), actually i don't remember if Infinite Stratos even attempts to rationalize it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:00:57 am by Reelya »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12654 on: October 10, 2012, 08:38:39 am »

Funny thing is, this is the first sci-fi all-girl military anime I've seen where all the outfits are also 100% realistic army-greens - and they have their pants on, unlike Strike Witches.

The polar opposite in this case would be something like Sky Girls or Infinite Stratos, where they state the mecha won't work unless you're wearing swimsuits. Sky Girls has by far the better story out of those two shows (Infinite Stratos is an ecchi harem show about boob-groping, so it's not hard), actually i don't remember if Infinite Stratos even attempts to rationalize it.
.....It's kinda' sad when you actually have to specify that "In this anime, they actually wear uniform & pants! Not miniskirts, swimsuits or in their undies!"

Kinda' sorta' relevant:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:48:30 am by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12655 on: October 10, 2012, 10:29:06 am »

.....It's kinda' sad when you actually have to specify that "In this anime, they actually wear uniform & pants! Not miniskirts, swimsuits or in their undies!"
And the uniforms don't even look that Nazi-like!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:33:39 am by Leafsnail »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #12656 on: October 10, 2012, 12:05:21 pm »

(Infinite Stratos is an ecchi harem show about boob-groping, so it's not hard)

Or is it?

Excerpt from pic: "Hot and hard like steel"

She gets what I mean.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12657 on: October 10, 2012, 03:18:28 pm »

Girls und Panzer looks...interesting so far...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12658 on: October 10, 2012, 04:17:37 pm »

(Infinite Stratos is an ecchi harem show about boob-groping, so it's not hard)

Or is it?

Definitely a formulaic ecchi harem comedy, that's beyond question. One guy, the ONLY guy in a school full of horny girls.

there are only about 3 decent fights in the entire show, and uncountable ecchi scenes. Even if you count all the bad fights, there's still more plain ecchi. Stepping through the show on my PC here, i see a LOT of scenes with boobs, and extremely few scenes with mecha (and most of those are just excuses to get the girls boobs popping out in swimsuits). e.g that scene where they have a mecha accident and he ends up face-planting in his teacher's cleavage. Admittedly i was slightly exaggerating that it was ALL about boob-groping. Most he just walks in on the girls in the shower and get's a belting.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:27:43 pm by Reelya »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12659 on: October 10, 2012, 04:24:29 pm »

I think he was making a joke about the "it's not hard" part :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 2193