Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077072 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12435 on: September 10, 2012, 03:55:15 pm »

Wow that's alot more development then I ever believed Olive Oyl to have.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12436 on: September 10, 2012, 03:56:38 pm »

Yes, it's a terrible cliché that was introduced well before anime.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: September 10, 2012, 04:08:56 pm »

Wow that's alot more development then I ever believed Olive Oyl to have.

We only see the animated cartoon versions of these long-running strips, Popeye had a very rich cast of characters and story-lines which were simplified and boiled down for the TV versions. I's similar to adaptation decay with manga to anime. There were a lot of cool serial newspaper comics from the golden-era of the 1920's to 1940's, with complex ongoing plots, and they ran the gamut of every genre.

In fact, the strip started before 1920, and Popeye only appeared in 1929. Olive Oyl as a character predates Popeye by 10 years, making her technically a more long-running central character who got HEAPS more development than Popeye. On a side note, it says in the link that Popeye even cracked jokes about her body measurements being a "perfect 57 - 19 19 19". So, she's even more like an anime character with the guy cracking jokes about her flat loli chest.

The whole newspaper comics medium itself has now decayed. I'd rather find and read the entire print run of the original Popeye comics than most 'humorous' panel comics today. At least it has ongoing drama and action.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:17:34 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: September 10, 2012, 04:17:44 pm »

The whole newspaper comics medium itself has now decayed. I'd rather find and read the entire print run of the original Popeye comics than most 'humorous' panel comics today. At least it has ongoing drama and action

It is pretty bad. For some comics I get the strong feeling the creator actually puts junk in the newspaper and sells the good stuff in books (actually this IS the case for some.)

When I can play "Spot the funny comic" on a weekly basis and actually ahve a good chance the answer is "There is no funny comic!" there is a problem.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: September 11, 2012, 05:18:18 am »

One series that i recently finished, and surprised me, was Divergence Eve (both seasons). If you can look past the omnipresent fan-service and really shitty looking CGI battles (especially in season 1 for both things), there's quite a gritty and suspenseful psychological sci-fi mystery/horror thing going on, with pretty much everything neatly explained and wrapped up by the end of season 2. The first few episodes of each season are the weakest of the bunch.

The 2D artwork is actually crisp and colorful and well-animated, but has very distracting boing levels. If the boobs had been toned down (and get rid of the nauseatingly out of place ED for season 1 and OP for season 2) and the battles better drawn this could have been an 8/10 or 9/10 series. So, good story and stuff, let down by highly dsistracting creepy fan-service shots (there's no actual ecchi situations in the script) and the worst CGI mecha ever.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 05:38:18 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: September 11, 2012, 11:22:11 am »

I came across "news" from February, about a poll of "Japanese Fans" on the biglobe website, who selected the "50 most over-rated animes of all time." There was only 1 problem - (NSFW) the total votes cast matches exactly the votes for the 50 shows, and the site seems to be one which allows multiple-choice polls, not freeform responses. There were 33001 responses, so it wouldn't be possible for a single user to easily collate all the responses.

What this tells me is that the author of the poll pre-selected 50 shows he, personally thought to be over-rated, and allowed others to "vote" on it. So the poll is really saying "which of these 50 shows do you think are most over-rated" rather than the 50 most over-rated animes.

What do you think of such polls, the questionable methodology, and the way anime sites pick them up as certifiable "news" without doing basic research into how the poll was conducted?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12441 on: September 11, 2012, 11:35:15 am »

Well "Most overrated" anime is pretty hard thing to even do.

It is even harder to reasonably argue.

Could you honestly imagine ANYONE trying to argue that ANY shakespear play is overrated without sounding like a moron? No of course not... Do most people think Shakespear is overrated? I am going to bet yes, but it has LONG since been beaten into our heads that it is supposed to be essentially untouchable that we don't question it.

Some "great" anime is going to be the same. They are soo lauded for being great that they are within the realm of being unquestioned.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:37:54 am by Neonivek »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36:32 am »

Shakespeare IS overrated, unless you're rating him solely by influence.

Those kind of quality judgments are silly anyway. Who cares if other people like/don't like something?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12443 on: September 11, 2012, 11:39:46 am »

Hahahaha! Some of those are my favorites.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12444 on: September 11, 2012, 11:42:02 am »

Shakespeare IS overrated, unless you're rating him solely by influence.

Those kind of quality judgments are silly anyway. Who cares if other people like/don't like something?

Sometimes it is fun to compare notes. As well sometimes hearing the negative points of something you like makes you appreciate it more by understanding it better.

Like the time I watched Marry Poppins as an adult... (I didn't like it... but WOW was the movie entirely different)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12445 on: September 11, 2012, 11:43:20 am »

Ah, true true. I still don't put much stock in popularity, though. Overrated, underrated, etc is all pretty irrelevant to me.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12446 on: September 11, 2012, 11:45:13 am »

Ah, true true. I still don't put much stock in popularity, though. Overrated, underrated, etc is all pretty irrelevant to me.

That is true. Some of the stuff I've loved the most has been obscure as to be unnoticable by the public at large.

At the same time some of the stuff I loved the most has been very popular.

So yeah... no stock... Mind you... I found more value in avoiding things because they are popular intentionally. Then buying something because it is.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12447 on: September 11, 2012, 12:03:46 pm »

That is the stupidest idea for a poll ever.  If everyone thinks a show is overrated then it isn't overrated because noone rates it highly!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12448 on: September 11, 2012, 12:04:35 pm »

That is the stupidest idea for a poll ever.  If everyone thinks a show is overrated then it isn't overrated because noone rates it highly!
That's actually a damn good point xD

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12449 on: September 11, 2012, 12:19:07 pm »

That is a good point, though my main gripe is that one guy compiled his personal list of popular shows he didn't like and got a lot of people to vote for the list items, then it's fobbed off as a "most overrated ever" poll.

For instance, fairly obscure shows like Ika Musume are on the list, but no Lucky Star or Clannad, which have far more haters. Macross Frontier is on the list, but no Gundams. Also i think Elfen Lied normally scores highly on such lists. I guess the pollster never saw that one.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:28:10 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 2193