Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077336 times)

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12345 on: August 27, 2012, 04:04:52 pm »

If memory serves, yes.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: August 27, 2012, 04:17:30 pm »

Looking over those, I feel I should say that I'm more interested in somewhat soft sci-fi about travels to many different worlds, in the vein of Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebob, certain parts of Dragon Ball Z, Firefly, Star Trek, and Star Wars. Basically, traveling to new and interesting places to meet new and interesting people (or possible aliens).
The Wagon Train to the Stars concept isn't very common in Anime, so choices become limited. I'm guessing from your post that you've already seen Cowboy Bebop. If you're willing to put up with Mecha, Vandread isn't bad (but it isn't excellent either). If you don't mind not being in space, Trigun is a good choice. I'm told the Galaxy Express 999 franchise uses it as a premise, but I can't personally vouch for it one way or another.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: August 27, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »

I've seen a bit of Galaxy Express, and tbh it's more of a space western than anything else. Has some transhumanist themes too (anti, if that bugs you).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12348 on: August 27, 2012, 06:31:44 pm »

Yeah, I've seen Cowboy Bebob, and also Trigun.

If you're having trouble, I'll just say I'm interested in fantastic new places and interesting cultures. It could be fantasy or sci-fi, but I don't just want to see Earth in the past, present, or future with maybe a few fantastic bits thrown in. If it's sci-fi, I don't want to just see people faffing about in space blowing each other up. I'm interested in exploring, even if it's the interior of a suitable spacious ship. Even if it's stuff the characters have seen before, as long as it's new to me, I'll like it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: August 27, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »

Continuing to watch Sgt. Frog, I find myself incredibly annoyed at the obvious references that I don't get. Does anyone know of a list somewhere?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: August 27, 2012, 08:22:22 pm »

Also, I have a request. It's not really pertinent, but I'd like examples of spacey sci-fi that isn't about robots.
From your avatar, I see that you've enjoyed Outlaw Star. Lets see, I remember watching Starship Operators...it doesn't stand out that much but I found it interesting. I've heard of Crest of the Stars but have yet to see it. Another well known space opera is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which once again I have yet to lay eyes upon aside from screenies and such.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #12351 on: August 27, 2012, 08:26:08 pm »

Space Battleship Yamato? (aka Star Blazers)

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12352 on: August 27, 2012, 10:46:10 pm »

If you're having trouble, I'll just say I'm interested in fantastic new places and interesting cultures. It could be fantasy or sci-fi, but I don't just want to see Earth in the past, present, or future with maybe a few fantastic bits thrown in. If it's sci-fi, I don't want to just see people faffing about in space blowing each other up. I'm interested in exploring, even if it's the interior of a suitable spacious ship. Even if it's stuff the characters have seen before, as long as it's new to me, I'll like it.
Kino's Journey or Mushishi are both fantasy.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12353 on: August 28, 2012, 12:12:24 am »

As long as all the fantastic bits aren't hidden behind some sort of masquerade or something so that common people don't know about, it's probably okay. Although that might be okay if the base society is sufficiently different from our own.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: August 28, 2012, 12:28:18 am »

Ok how about a Detective Anime

Or a Hobby Anime... Yes! A hobby based anime.

I am having trouble finding the rest of my Kenshin anime episodes (Right when it got good and Kenshin met his ultimate nemesis... a pack of dogs) so I want another anime to distract me in the mean time.

Also the reason why Kenshin was almost destroyed by a Pack of dogs has to do with the fact that the anime flips between being realistic and being fantastic at a moment's notice... sometimes during the exact same fight in the exact same episode. So Kenshin was being destroyed because the episode was in "realism mode" and then he got out of it when not only did the show retcon the previous one and switching to Super Samurai mode. I'd say it is a flaw but after watching the show enough I think it is just part of its style.

Heck one fight ended in a loss ONLY because it switched back to realism mode at the last second, making the otherwise brainmelting attack ineffective.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12355 on: August 28, 2012, 02:43:54 am »

As long as all the fantastic bits aren't hidden behind some sort of masquerade or something so that common people don't know about, it's probably okay. Although that might be okay if the base society is sufficiently different from our own.
Kino's Journey is pretty much as it sounds. Kino goes around and explores places. Admittedly, it's not very high on the fantasy scale, but the places she visits are intriguing.

Mushishi is heavily fantastic. The world is pretty much engulfed with mushi, a natural and pure entity with supernatural abilities. The notable thing is the way the show handles these mushi though. Their supernatural abilities aren't portrayed in a monstrous kind of way like in most other shows, but in a natural and "that's just how the world is" sort of way.

The best way I could describe it is that in most shows, a monster would be treated like, "Oh no, it's a monster that eats eyeballs, and it ate this poor young boy's eyes! We need to kill it!"

In Mushishi, it would be like, "This mushi settles in the eyes of creatures and consumes light. The mushi will move out of your son's eyes if he wears these sunglasses. This area has an usual amount of these mushi, because the crystalline structure of these caves scatter and reflect light in a way appealing to these mushi." Or something like that.
I do a terrible job describing it. It's an incredible show though.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: August 28, 2012, 03:21:15 am »

Space Battleship Yamato? (aka Star Blazers)

Having read the request for classic-style sci-fi of visiting distant worlds, I'd have to second this suggestion, though i believe the sub is vastly superior to the dub, due to heavy censorship of anything violent (1970's).

The whole Captain Harlock franchise (which includes Galaxy Express 999) is probably a good thing to check out too.

bahcot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:07 am »

sinchan i like

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: August 28, 2012, 05:00:18 pm »

Just finished a string of dubious shows (the best was Deadman Wonderland)

Now watching Kino's Journey, this is more like it.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: August 28, 2012, 05:04:08 pm »

Well, depending on what you consider "a few fantastic bits", Samurai Champloo could work. It's made by the same people as Bebop and gets quite a ways out there at times.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 2193