Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077791 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12195 on: August 11, 2012, 11:06:29 pm »

I hope that this anime finally breaks the "Your a girl? You can't be competent" streak

I mean... the female lead did lose all three of her onscreen fights against non-nameless mooks rather embarassingly and captured easily twice... but who knows maybe after a bit of time I will see that this anime will do something different.

Where she will be competent and on par with the other male heros fighting along side them and will actually manage to take down a real serious villain.

That doesn't happen does it?

I don't know... that is the thing right now it seems so destined for her to be shoved aside and become LESS capable of fighting... but If this anime does differently it will restore my faith in anime women.

I REALLY got to start watching more Fairytale. I know that would break the streak and be awsome at the same time.

---

Edit addition

I got the results back. She is practically the steriotype of Anime Women Syndrome for which all others are judged. She outright stopped fighting because she would rather be protected.

This better change because while I expected her to be a bad fighter. I didn't expect her to stop fighting. I mean... her motivation was to revive a fighting style made to protect others. We the audiance were told she was strong...

Ohh well it won't ruin my enjoyment of this anime. It happened early enough so I can chalk it up to them changing their minds early in. It isn't like some I watched where they wait until almost the very end of the anime to uttarly humiliate the competent experienced female protagonist to make room for the males.

Edit addition: No wait... she has warrior garb on. All she has to do is beat a non-mook and she won't suck! That is all you have to do to restore my faith in my choice of Animes!

Now if you will excuse me I will watch Kenshin defeat the Drug Ninjas! Who are freekishly competent.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:46:11 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: August 12, 2012, 03:06:21 pm »

Hmm I am actually liking this anime so far

But here is something interesting.

It has a case of Detective Conan Syndrome.

It is actually getting pretty funny.

How many other series actually suffer from Detective Conan Syndrome anyway?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:32:01 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: August 12, 2012, 04:09:43 pm »

You mean "How many series are episodic in nature"?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: August 12, 2012, 04:37:34 pm »

You mean "How many series are episodic in nature"?

Ohh no I am not refering to episodic series.

I am refering to the fact that no matter what Conan does or where he goes there will be a murder. Making the murder rate in Japan insanely high in that anime through logic.

Rurouni Kenshin is the same thing except replace murder with thugs, ninjas, or some sort of murderous warrior. I swear the "Bad side of town" in that setting must be double the size of the actual town.

I am not talking about looking for trouble or being in a possition where trouble finds you. For example CSI doesn't have this issue because they are a group that goes out to solve murders. They arn't going to the bathroom and finding random bodies. Sailor Moon also doesn't fall under it, even though you would think so, since their goals was always to attract people to them.

Don't get me wrong a lot of people point out Kenshin but it is usually after he got involved.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: August 12, 2012, 04:39:25 pm »

Well obviously there isn't anything to make an episode about if Conan goes out to buy an icecream and there isn't a murder.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12200 on: August 12, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »

Well obviously there isn't anything to make an episode about if Conan goes out to buy an icecream and there isn't a murder.

This isn't a disease that needs to be cured. It is just a quirk.

The reason it even deserves mention is that it gets hillarious after a while when you realise that... Yes, all Conan has to do is buy icecream for there to be a murder. It has lead people to the somewhat logical conclusion that Conan actually sets up these murders somehow.

The episodes where Conan actually goes out to solve a murder or crime is rather rare.

Meaning that it is unintentionally hillarious. I am sure somewhere someone has written about how high the murder rate in Japan would have to be in order for Detective Conan to occur.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:44:00 pm by Neonivek »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #12201 on: August 12, 2012, 05:52:14 pm »

I remember there being an episode of  'Murder She Wrote', where the police started to suspect the old lady of causing these murders because its just so fuckin improbable for her to be present for so many murders and to solve them.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: August 12, 2012, 06:09:27 pm »

Some dude on /tg/ posted a funny image. Now I'm reading the manga it's from. I can't express my feelings with words, so have a picture instead.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: August 12, 2012, 06:44:24 pm »

I remember there being an episode of  'Murder She Wrote', where the police started to suspect the old lady of causing these murders because its just so fuckin improbable for her to be present for so many murders and to solve them.

I was just thinking of that same show, there was a parody in a MAD magazine once when i was a kid called "Murder, She Hopes" where she comes across a series of "bodies" and goes "yes! finally a murder for me to solve", only for each time it turns out to be a misplaced mannikin, someone who's asleep, etc. Eventually she finds a real murdered body, starts to 'solve' the murder and is promptly arrested for having staged the murder.

I don't know whether this comic predates the episode you're referring to, the show ran quite a few years.

Another one with alarming murder rate is the British show, Midsommer Murders. Hundreds of murders. The formula is for a murder at the start of the episode, always (or perhaps almost always) followed by a subsequent murder of one or more of the suspects in the first murder, and it's meant to be a quiet English village. Basically ANY police or crime show set in a rural environment suffers from this inexplicable high crime rate.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:48:52 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: August 12, 2012, 07:04:18 pm »

Basically ANY police or crime show set in a rural environment suffers from this inexplicable high crime rate.

Ohh gosh that is hillarious. The Murder rate is actually high enough to hurt the population. Their growth rate has to be negative.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12205 on: August 12, 2012, 07:14:02 pm »

Never mind their growth rate, the town would have literally no people left by now.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: August 12, 2012, 07:53:27 pm »

I don't know if the scene was in the anime, but the manga had Inspector Meguire yelling at Rachel's father that he was a walking disaster zone and left a trail of murders in his wake wherever he went.  It was quite hilarious.

Okay, so I now have unlimited internet access at ridiculously high speeds. So I figured I might as well get to watching those anime that I keep hearing about, but have never gotten a chance to see.  So far I have in the list:

-Neon Genesis Evangelion (Supposedly the anti-Gurren Lagann in terms of tone, and made by the same studio, so it sounds promising)

-Cowboy Bebop (Had no clue what it was at all until I came across it on TVtropes.  The heavy integration of the music interests me.)

-Totoro (Have absolutely no clue what it is, but I hear the phrase "What do you mean you haven't seen Totoro?!" bandied about a bit, so I figured it must be pretty good.  At the very least I'm going to watch it to understand what that giant raccoon/owl thing is.)

-Anything Miyazaki, I have only seen Kiki's delivery service at this point in time, so I gotta see the rest of 'em sometime, especially Howl's Moving Castle, I have a friend who bugs me to watch it almost as much as I bug her to watch TTGL  :P

Which do you guys think I should watch first?   Have any other suggestions?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: August 12, 2012, 07:56:15 pm »

If you go into Evangelion, I suggest you try to look up the director's issues with depression after seeing it through once. The ending is very different when you know just what he was going through at the time.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: August 12, 2012, 11:36:37 pm »

This chapter is too long so I'm splitting it.  I found a good stopping point anyway.
AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiit

It's so pretty.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:38:28 pm by ToonyMan »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: August 13, 2012, 12:08:47 am »

If you go into Evangelion, I suggest you try to look up the director's issues with depression after seeing it through once. The ending is very different when you know just what he was going through at the time.

I personally feel like that's not a good excuse for it. I hated the last two episodes. It's helped ever so slightly helped by context, yeah, but that doesn't make them any better written. If you can sympathize with the director's issues significantly, I think you'd get the themes in the last episodes without actually

And honestly, the themes are present throughout the rest of the anime. It's ham-handed in the extreme to just take the anime full stop so you can whine full time without letting the plot get in your way.

My suggestion for going into Evangelion: skip the last two episodes, watch End of Evangelion instead. Don't waste forty minutes of your life. The rest of the anime is amazing, the rebuild movies are even better. Just don't even bother with the last two episodes.
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 2193