Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 2192

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2887432 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #11235 on: April 25, 2012, 12:42:53 am »

Which ones did you try?  No point in mentioning any like them.

Hmm, mostly just Higurashi and another one, I think it was called Umineko or something similar? I don't know, I never really got into them for some reason. I might go back and check them out again, it has been a while.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: April 25, 2012, 12:53:12 am »

Damn those are two of my favorites.  Guess it's not a good idea then...

EDIT:
Dangan Ronpa 2 comes out in July.  Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Oh and Good People Die is set for release in October for English.  I'm totally getting a 3DS for my birthday.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:12:30 am by ToonyMan »

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: April 25, 2012, 12:56:47 am »

I am reminded of Witch Hunter Robin
Oh man, that was one of the first animes I saw that wasn't super-popular. For a first-timer in anime, I'd like to add that, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Black Lagoon, Berserk, Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note to the list. Personally, I found the journey better than the destination in Fullmetal alchemist.

This is based mainly on assuming that the person in question is afraid of subtitles.* They all have fantastic dubs and a good plot, and are pretty grounded in reality. I also think this is a good mix of genres that shouldn't scare anyone away from the animation medium.

Stuff like Neon Genesis Evangelion Probably isn't for a person who is new to anime, or expects it to be nothing more than children's entertainment. I know it went way over my head when I first saw it when I was ~14.

*Some of the dialogue in Ghost in the Shell is kind of hard to follow if you can't pause it, or rewind by a few seconds. I know that I have a little trouble following one of the tachikoma's conversations about different possible selves and motivations of people originating from the micro-scale or the macro-scale and multiple levels of consciousness.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11238 on: April 25, 2012, 01:03:58 am »

Well, what do you like? We could make some recommendations.

That is an incredibly open question.  It would be near impossible to provide a comprehensive list of things wot I like.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: April 25, 2012, 01:06:01 am »

Well start with stuff like Gurren Lagann, FMA, Code Geass, Darker than Black, Death Note, Monster...those are some I started with anyway.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: April 25, 2012, 01:11:19 am »

Well, what do you like? We could make some recommendations.

That is an incredibly open question.  It would be near impossible to provide a comprehensive list of things wot I like.
Well, yeah. I sort of assumed "in media you watch" was implied, but I guess that's not necessarily a good question anyway.

So, what do you like in movies or TV shows? What do you hate or lack interest in in those things? What anime have you seen, or seen some of, that you haven't liked?

What about plot points, concepts, etc. from movies, books, games, etc?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: April 25, 2012, 01:14:08 am »

Today I learned that I'm horrible at Visual Novels.
Spoiler: Katawa Shoujo (click to show/hide)
At least I figured out how to skip stuff now!
That's probably my favorite ending so far.

If anybody seriously enjoys Katawa Shoujo there are much cooler VNs to try out later.  I can give recommendations on ones I liked.

Well, I've tried a few but never really got into them, finding this interesting and fun so far though. What would you recommend?
I recommend Narcissu, Planetarian, and True Remembrance. They're short, and there's no choice-making.

If you want choices, there's Yume Miru Kusuri, but YMMV with it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11242 on: April 25, 2012, 08:50:52 am »

Hmm, mostly just Higurashi and another one, I think it was called Umineko or something similar? I don't know, I never really got into them for some reason. I might go back and check them out again, it has been a while.
If the problem is long intros (a 07th staple) I guess you could try Tsukihime since that kicks off pretty quickly (although it would be a pretty insane introduction to non-dating VNs).  I guess there's also the Umineko art/voice patch, that might help since the voices carried me through FSN's boring scenes.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: April 25, 2012, 08:58:55 am »

Depends what you are looking for as anime is vast.

It also depends how much does reading subtitles ruin the experience for you. If cutesy is harmful or not. Do you want action? Suspense? Gore?

Full Moon Wo Sagashite for example while is my favorite anime isn't one I'd start someone with. Given its cutesyness, its 64 episode run, and that you have to watch the fansubs because the official dubs and subs are incompetent.

Perhaps... Prince of Tennis may be better for you.

By Prince of Tennis, he means the Live Action musical. That is DE-licious.

But yeah, it really depends on what you're looking for in a show, as anime spans the entire gamut of tastes and genres. Give us just a tiny bone, just a nibble, and we'll pull something amazing out of our big bag just for you.
Yes, I should have realized the breadth of possible answers to my question was too vast. I think perhaps I can only offer vagaries, but I shall do what I can.

1. I really do not have too much stomach for “cutesy”, I must confess.
2. Reading subtitles would degrade the experience too far.
3. I would prefer something suspenseful or mysterious, but note that I have no taste for horror—I spend too much time alone with my imagination for that!
4. Well-dressed people are not a requirement but a boon. That would be “well-dressed” by my eccentric standards—good hats, frock coats, spectacles, boots, and the like. I suppose it is a rather strange thing to add, but I have not too much else.
5. Anything cerebral would please me—something that might give my mind something to chew.

This probably is a naïve, vacuous list, but I know nothing of anime, and I rarely watch any kind of entertainment at all, so it is hard to speak of my tastes. I chose this anime topic because I think I would like to watch something in addition to the occasional The Twilight Zone episode, and this seemed as good a place to start as any.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: April 25, 2012, 09:11:33 am »

Depends what you are looking for as anime is vast.

It also depends how much does reading subtitles ruin the experience for you. If cutesy is harmful or not. Do you want action? Suspense? Gore?

Full Moon Wo Sagashite for example while is my favorite anime isn't one I'd start someone with. Given its cutesyness, its 64 episode run, and that you have to watch the fansubs because the official dubs and subs are incompetent.

Perhaps... Prince of Tennis may be better for you.

By Prince of Tennis, he means the Live Action musical. That is DE-licious.

But yeah, it really depends on what you're looking for in a show, as anime spans the entire gamut of tastes and genres. Give us just a tiny bone, just a nibble, and we'll pull something amazing out of our big bag just for you.
Yes, I should have realized the breadth of possible answers to my question was too vast. I think perhaps I can only offer vagaries, but I shall do what I can.

3. I would prefer something suspenseful or mysterious, but note that I have no taste for horror—I spend too much time alone with my imagination for that!
4. Well-dressed people are not a requirement but a boon. That would be “well-dressed” by my eccentric standards—good hats, frock coats, spectacles, boots, and the like. I suppose it is a rather strange thing to add, but I have not too much else.
5. Anything cerebral would please me—something that might give my mind something to chew.

This probably is a naïve, vacuous list, but I know nothing of anime, and I rarely watch any kind of entertainment at all, so it is hard to speak of my tastes. I chose this anime topic because I think I would like to watch something in addition to the occasional The Twilight Zone episode, and this seemed as good a place to start as any.

Your short list describes Gankutsuou, an anime retake on The Count of Monte Cristo, almost to a tee. I personally enjoyed it a great deal, and while I'm not familiar with the English dub, the little sampling that I've heard reveals that it's quite acceptable.

EDIT: OH yeah, and Cowboy Bebop, which was recommended earlier. It's one of the greats in the anime world and has an excellent dub. You can probably find it nearly anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:14:58 am by JoshuaFH »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: April 25, 2012, 09:13:52 am »

I can think of three things

Hellsing
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop

1st one has a ton of awesome action, doesn't rely on cuteness much, if it actually does, and has a ton of nice badasses in suits and nice hats.

2nd one is full of scheming, and involves a person getting a notebook that can kill people and using it "for justice."

3rd one is a space drama of bounty hunters looking for bounty. Has a very nice plot, well balanced with action and exposition. The english dub's good; probably even better than the japanese one.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23:44 am »

Bacanno!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: April 25, 2012, 09:36:55 am »

I must recommend Big O to you. I actually preferred the dub to any subs of it. I could describe it as 'Bruce Wayne with a giant robot' but that doesn't really describe it at all. It's a show about a professional negotiator unraveling the mysteries of the past - and there are a lot because everyone has amnesia. It's a show about giant robots slugging it out. It's a serious show, with the occasional side serving of silly. It's a show about tomatoes of the trope variety. Overall, it's a good show. I enjoyed it, and I think you would as well.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:31 am »

Bacanno!
Yes! Baccano fits that list pretty much to a t, and the dub is fairly good, especially in regards to a certain ham.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: April 25, 2012, 02:18:39 pm »

Spoiler: Berserk volume 30 (click to show/hide)

And also
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:23:48 pm by ToonyMan »
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 2192