Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3062987 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10230 on: January 06, 2012, 04:52:34 pm »

Ok I thought of a new game slash category

"Least Motivated Main Cast Ever!"

Ever had an anime where the heros just seem to lounge around when they really should be kicking it into high gear? Where their lives and that of everyone around them is at stake and somehow pancakes seem more important.

Rules:
-Chose an anime where the main cast HAS a plot they CAN affect yet they seem to ignore.

My nomination: Season 2 of Mermaid Melody

What is this? A nearly dietific entity threatens to destroy the world and it takes absolutely ALL of your power to even fend it off?

Well thats boring, instead lets try to get your boyfriend back and have all the main characters seperate just to make it easier.

What could make this example worse? The first season... In the first season while they did meander about (its Teenaged girls what do you expect?) they did bring the fight to the enemy and planned ahead multiple times often speaking and co-ordinating their efforts on how to defeat him. The reason they often couldn't is because his fortress was hard to find and he was nearly impossible to defeat himself. So it isn't like they forgot how strategy works.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: January 06, 2012, 08:07:21 pm »

Hey Toony, here...something interesting to read:
http://mazuisubs.com/184
and something interesting to see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_3tcEsx1To&feature=player_embedded
Dammit Kobold stop linking Nasu stuff!  It's not healthy for anybody...I'll check these out later.  Oh okay I watched the video, pretty neat I guess.  I would have much prefered like a Fate/zero RPG or VN though, that would be awesome.  Especially if it was a new scenario.

I'm a bit into Chapter 4 of Corpse Party.  I'm going to hold any opinions for now and let it all pan out first...

EDIT:
Also I ordered Fate/extra!  I'll play it when I get it.  :3
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:17:54 pm by ToonyMan »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: January 06, 2012, 10:01:01 pm »

I realize I'm late to this party, but WTF!

There is a Last Exile 2 out AND Fate/Zero (sequel to Fate/Stay Night) being aired? I freaking loved the originals.

I know what I'm doing on my lunch breaks from now on..
Isn't Fate/zero a prequel to Fate/Stay Night, as opposed to a sequel? At least that's what it looked like from what I read, just finished Fate/Stay Night and haven't gotten around to it yet.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: January 06, 2012, 10:36:01 pm »

Dipped into Katawa Shoujo before watching another episode of Madoka.

Got a Kenji bad end first, then on the second run, ended up with Rin's route. It was interesting.
Wait, thats a show? I just assumed it was some internet meme?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: January 06, 2012, 11:14:27 pm »

Dipped into Katawa Shoujo before watching another episode of Madoka.

Got a Kenji bad end first, then on the second run, ended up with Rin's route. It was interesting.
Wait, thats a show? I just assumed it was some internet meme?
It is a show, and also a manga.
I've never seen the anime, but I can say that the manga is very good.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: January 07, 2012, 01:21:21 am »

I realize I'm late to this party, but WTF!
There is a Last Exile 2 out AND Fate/Zero (sequel to Fate/Stay Night) being aired? I freaking loved the originals.
I know what I'm doing on my lunch breaks from now on..
Isn't Fate/zero a prequel to Fate/Stay Night, as opposed to a sequel? At least that's what it looked like from what I read, just finished Fate/Stay Night and haven't gotten around to it yet.
Fate/stay night is a prerequisite for Fate/zero and it is also a prequel.  I haven't seen the F/sn anime but the Fate/zero LN is definitely following the F/sn VN and ufotable adapts Fate/zero very well.

EDIT:
Okay I read Tsuki no Sango.
Daaaaaaaaw that was sweet.  :3  I shouldn't have expected murder and death in every Nasuwork even though this one was a bit apocalyptic.

EDITX2:
I countered all this gloriously by watching the two Denpa teki na Kanoki OVAs by Brain's Base.  They were pretty good, both of the story arcs were pretty fulfilling and the endings were completely ridiculous.  Besides the aforementioned ridiculousness there was a real huge lack of male characters besides Juu.  I mean sure everybody likes their crazy ladies but come on at least add some more male characters when something is clearly not a harem series oh wait I guess it could be?

Anyway, out of context screen cap time!
Spoiler: spoilers of course (click to show/hide)

And it's 5am...welp.  I was going to continue playing Corpse Party but maybe this is enough murders for one day.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:33:55 am by ToonyMan »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: January 07, 2012, 06:43:41 am »

Hisao of Katawa Shoujo has a rather short fuse.

He needs to chill, so he doesn't say something that I would regret.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: January 07, 2012, 06:58:58 am »

I actually played a bit of Katawa Shoujo about a year ago. I presume it was one of their incomplete demos.

I found it largely boring with uninteresting characters outside of their disability gimmicks... except the clinically insane, bigoted, big glasses idiot guy. He's one of those loathsome and disgusting characters you can't help but love. Every scene he was in was friggin' hilarious.

I gave up on the game after my choices did the exact opposite of what I intended them to do. Twice. Okay, so taking the "push yourself" choice on the track field makes the protagonist be a jackass and lose the girl... I'll pick the "take it easy" choice for this uphill scene. Cue the character again being a jackass and storming off. Facepalm. EDIT: or was it the other way around? I forget.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:00:31 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: January 07, 2012, 07:51:49 am »

I think "Push yourself" put you into her route. "Take it easy" stopped you from going into her route. They may have changed the dialogue though, since he never came out as a jackass for either choice in my eyes. In any case, most VN's I've played where I was given choices had choices that led me to conclusions I was not expecting or caused the character to say things I didn't mean, so I don't bag it on it much for that.

Overall, I don't know how I feel about Katawa Shoujo either.

Nothing in Rin's or Emi's routes got me to Planetarian levels of sad or Yume Miru Kusuri levels of "Oh shit, why is this happening," but Planetarian crushed a bit of my soul, and YMK was full of "I'll stop here for a bit," so that might not be very fair comparisons. Rin's route went in directions I didn't expect at all at least.

Everything was more tasteful than I expected, and in Rin's route, her disability seems to be actually underplayed.

The writing can come off as wonky at times, and the dialogue ranges from funny to ultra-melodramatic mode, but oh well, such is life in a VN. I've only read Rin's and Emi's route, but some issues and conversations drag on for quite a while, the only difference is that Hisao just gets more pissed as time goes on. There's not much closure in the endings either.

The art is really inconsistent though, and it's very obvious that they had multiple artists working on it. The animation quality is inconsistent at times as well, but I like Rin's video (there's nothing spoiled) a lot though.

Music doesn't stand out much. Parity is the only track that actually sticks in my head.

It's definitely a valiant effort for something outside of Japan, though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: January 07, 2012, 08:41:08 pm »

Oh I just finished Chapter 4 of Corpse Party.

That was amazing.
Amazing.

EDIT:
I have played Chapter 5!  Well...one ending so far anyway.

Gog damn the ending I got in this chapter was ridiculous.

I GOTCHYUU
Never change Kizami.

I would post the neverending hell of screen caps but unfortunately I'm playing this on an actual PSP.
Also CP's main theme will never leave my head ever.  It's like The Church on the Hill, fucking church.

...Man I guess I'm really excited right now.  That always happens when read something I enjoyed.  A+ Corpse Party will corpse again.

And lastly, I wish I knew where the original image was for this video.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:16:59 am by ToonyMan »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: January 08, 2012, 04:38:40 am »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: January 08, 2012, 10:04:21 am »

Finished Hanako's route. Her casual outfit is cute.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cold Iron can also chill with Parity as tracks that stand out. A lot of the piano pieces are nice to listen to.

Rin's cinematic is still far and away the best.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: January 08, 2012, 10:58:41 am »

"[UTW]_Carnival_Phantasm_-_09_[BD][h264-720p_AC3][CEB1D717].mkv"

It's that time again...

EDIT:
Yeah this was great.
Spoiler: the greatest (click to show/hide)

And besides a few Fate/hollow references (I saw you Minori!) it was pretty much entirely just Fate/stay night.

EDITX2:
Empty weekend I guess.

Finished yet another (bad) ending in Chapter 5 of Corpse Party, only took me three hours.  It's kind of amazing really.
I'm so close to getting the TrueEnd in Chapter 5, soooo close I can taste it (with my functioning tongue).  Afterwards I'll need to clean up and get the rest of the bad ends.  I'm missing one or two in Chapter 1 and 2 while Chapter 3 and 4 are fully done.  Chapter 5 has sooo many bad ends I'm missing right now.  The possibilities.

This isn't even counting the ten Extra Chapters, I must see the Byakudan(SIC) School one and that better exist or else Corpse Party is doing itself a disservice.

EDITX3:
Decided to read more Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi because why not.  Read all of Chapter 4, nice little stuff.  Reading through Chapter 5 la la de da--
This had made my night, besides well, CP (Corpse Party and Carnival Phantasm) of course.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:50:38 am by ToonyMan »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: January 09, 2012, 07:00:38 am »

Finished Shizune's path in Katawa Shoujo. I thought it was boring. I liked Misha more than Shizune, and I liked Shizune more in the other characters' routes than in her own.

For me, Rin>=Hanako>=Lilly>Emi>>>Shizune.

It was pretty nice overall. I think it's worth recommending, especially for people that haven't really played much VNs. There's a lot of dialogue that's cheesy, but it's still an interesting read.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:01:53 am by Patchouli »
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 2193