Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Subraces  (Read 744 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Subraces
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »

The general idea here is to allow the creation of several different [CREATURE] entries that tend to show up together and/or interbreed. This ended up happening as I was trying to mod in giant ants, when I wanted to be able to make queens, males, soldiers, workers, etc. It seems like it could be used to make rarer, more powerful goblins, different varieties of dragons, and stuff like that as well.

With a bit of tweaking, it could even be used to make "groups" that would show up (so, a single werewolf with a pack of normal wolves), both in adventure mode and in fortress mode, which would be awesome.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Subraces
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

Hrm. Interesting. It'd make for some neat modding possibilities, to be sure, but I'm curious as to whether this has been requested before... TO THE INTERNET!

This idea has been preliminarily approved by REASONABLEMAN.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:50:17 pm »

I'm curious as to whether this has been requested before... TO THE INTERNET

In my "Template creature" thread I include a tag that allows a creature to be considered a member of another creature's species. As well as other rules governing it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:40:48 pm »

The next version should make you very happy.  The new system for creature castes/morphs is being designed precisely for stuff like antman hives -- Toady mentioned antman queens recently.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:57:06 pm »

I've been thinking a lot about this sort of thing lately.  Last summer I was obsessed with the Burning Wheel RPG and my passion didn't cool until I'd found DF.  Since, I've been itching to design great spiders, great wolves, and trolls in multiple variants, so that some could have different inborn weapons, some were squishier than others, etc. but still be of the same civilization.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 12:15:59 am »

Hmm, finally we can have High Elves, Unforgotten Realms' Kobold [InsertQuote:'KOBOLD!!!'] , Ice DDragons, and other subtypes.

I support!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:50:11 am »

Something tells me learning the new creature coding will be like freshman Bio all over again.

I can't wait!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 05:00:36 am »

Mules will probably become a problem thanks to sporing being uncontrollable

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 08:23:47 am »

I'm curious as to whether this has been requested before... TO THE INTERNET

In my "Template creature" thread I include a tag that allows a creature to be considered a member of another creature's species. As well as other rules governing it.

Yeah, this has been suggested already, in fact I've talked about this with Toady like a year ago.
I agree with Neon btw, and that is exactly what I've mentioned to Toady:
Why should we limit this to "subraces"?
Goblins are living together with trolls for example. Trolls are not a goblin subrace at all. I think that we should be able to define specific entities which will live together with the population of a given civilization. Those entities would act like any other creature of the given civilization, and -needless to say-, they would appear in their armies + in the sieges also.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:28:26 am by Tormy »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 02:02:15 pm »

Something tells me learning the new creature coding will be like freshman Bio all over again.

I missed the frog dissection.  I was in Greece.  Or maybe turkey, although there's a 1 in 14 chance of that.