Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Antmen Apocalypse - The rise of Golden Vengeance  (Read 22129 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Antmen Apocalypse
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2008, 11:43:09 pm »

Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm going to assume that DF-like game mechanics are present.( (i.e. things like item quality, dwarfy jobs, etc.)

Na'Ine wasn't particularly skilled with his *Silver Axe* but it had been passed down to him through the years, and he made sure to practice in his spare time.
Obviously such was lacking in recent years, but he made sure to pitch in with the initial wood harvesting, and even did a bit of carpentry for himself, managing to make a wooden table, wooden chair, and +wooden bed+, which he setup in a corner he had claimed for himself, where he had temporarily kept with various goods.

After helping the initial workforce get all the goods to the site of the Mountainhome, Na'Ine quickly set about forming profitable trading partners, both within the Mountainhome (particular attention was given to forming relations with skilled weaponsmiths and armorers) and with nearby settlements (by either flying to them, or being sure to be part of the welcoming party for their visits to the Mountainhomes.)

With all these newly forged relations, Na'Ine realized that he needed to start actually trading, since his initial funds were being worn away faster than he had realized. (Probably spent something on the order of 50 gold on gifts/meals/booze, etc forming the relations.)

Na'Ine decided to set up shop in a small niche of mined out Earth Gems close to the entrance (5 tile's worth he figured) within the Mountainhome.
Enlisting the aid of an Apprentice Mason and Engraver to help in their training, he had the shop expanded and smoothed (to 3wx5d) and had two small rooms (2x2 each) cut into the earth behind the Shop. (one back room is an office/bedroom, the other is kitchen/pantry)

Thinking it would be a very nice touch, and maybe even something of an Advertisement, he secured the services of the most skilled Engraver, and had him engrave the Earth Gem tiles, offering him 5 gold for each Exceptional Engraving, and 15 for any Masterful Engravings.
After securing a few pieces of work from the Mason, (to include a couple of +obsidian cabinets+ for display cases, a *(white rock present in mountain) door* for the shop entrance, and two -(grey rock present) doors- for the back rooms, and having them all installed, along with re-locating his temporary quarters, and goods,) he set about setting up shop, being sure to arrange the silver weapons most prominently.

Satisfied with the Shop, and the modest accommodations he had created for himself, he had a small celebration thrown for the Grand Opening of the first, (and with any luck, most profitable,) shop in the Mountainhome, "Na'Ine's Finest"!

I really don't know how this is gonna work... but I figure this is split between the background turn(s) and the 1st turn. If you think it's too much feel free to split it into as many as needed.
Things like eating/drinking (water preferred) are automatic, unless I go out of my way to mention a change, (like hunting and cooking a boar or something)

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antmen Apocalypse
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2008, 03:33:36 am »

You're right, n9103, some DF-like mechanics are present, like item quality. And all these actions fit into first turn. You've spent 180 gold in total - 50 for forming the relations with suppliers, 15 for masterful engraving at the outside of the shop (something like a sign for your shop), 10 for two exceptional engravings in the shop itself, 25 for the starting party, and 80 for mining/smoothing/engraving/furnituring. The shop will start bringing profit next turn.

andrea, the background (btw, it's not limited. You could write a book about your scout if you want :)) is awesome, but you should really capitalize the letters there it's needed, like Nirur Torir suggested.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antmen Apocalypse - Turn 1 - The rise of Golden Vengeance
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2008, 05:35:28 am »

With his long flowing brown hooded cloak complete with a steel two handed sword and longbow slung across his back Flint really looked the part of a storybook legend...however story book legends usually had fame and fortunes. Flint had tossed away all but 100 of his gold coins traveling and drinking as he wandered from town to town, and once citizens realised how useless he was being thrown out on his arse.

However after a particularly rough journey and genric visit to a ridiculously kind retired hero (and possibly a montage or two) Flint was indeed inspried to greater things and he set out to prove to the world that doubted him what a hero he could be.

And so he ended up in the dwarven city and after many unsuccesful attempts to gain free accomidation with made up heroic tales he paid a fair sum of money and lay in his new bed. Picking at the rather cheap meal he had payed for. 'Well here I am...I suppose this is where my newest adventure begins.' The thought stayed with him until he drifted off to sleep.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:51:00 am by Flintus10 »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2008, 06:43:39 am »

really.. wow.. awesome.

well then.. cool... hopefully I'll never have to RP that much all at once again.
That alone took me like an hour :(

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2008, 08:16:10 am »

i know, capital letters. i forgot that word doesn't check for them if i copy-paste soemthing from here to there. and it was too late to fix it.
the problem isn't that i don't care enough, but that i have never used capital letters. even on paper, i use them less than i should be.but the finished story will have al the capital letters needed.

oh, if you need an action from my scout soon, he will buy some food and water, and explore the mountain trying to find a valley with a river.

unluckly, this is at the end of what i am writing, and i am not sure i can finish it today. tomorrow i have a latin test at school.

also, i pick crossbow. i don't want to deal with gunpowder.

edit: if you want a spoiler about what is elft of background... wolves, battles cityes and sea monsters.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:28:49 am by andrea »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2008, 10:04:49 am »

Oh yeah, before it comes up, my character's MIGHTY TWO HANDED BATTLE MATTOCK isn't made of silver. At all. Instead, the righteous anger of the miners imbues it with the ability to pierce werewolves like a spear thrown from heaven.

Actually, it's just really heavy and point and pierces werewolves like a spear thrown from heaven. Unless you throw it.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2008, 11:40:10 am »

Kashyyk wandered the tunnels randomly, thinking about the bounty on the werewolves. He fingered his Iron battleaxe nervously, and wondered wether his silver short sword would do any good against them.
He decided to go down and see the miners while they worked, give them someone to talk to and maybe do some mining himself. He would also be there for their protection.

((Short, but sweet))

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2008, 11:42:26 am »

Question: Do I find Kashyyk automatically, or what?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2008, 12:01:05 pm »

Berdok flew above the town in a hurry, nearly colliding with a tree. He went over the directions in his mind again, as the town was a horrible array of tunnels, and there was no way for him to remember each house. As he descended the stairs he thought were correct, he made sure he still had his herbs and grinding rock. He saw a dwarf passing by and asked where a Urist McMiner was.
The Dwarf pointed five different ways and then asked,
"Which one?"
Berdok tried to narrow the choices down. "The injured one?"
The dwarf again pointed five different directions. "Which one?"
Berdok sighed. It was going to be a long day.

Not that they all weren't.
"Let's see them all." Berdok finally responded. His measly pile of herbs and potions might be able to help all of them, and he just might make enough from this to buy some more...

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2008, 02:13:57 pm »

Dwarfaholic, since the town is quite small right now (though it's a disarray of tunnels, yes), it's a easy enough action, so you find him automatically (unless he wants to avoid you).

And, Flintus10, that may not be enough for an action. I'll use it for now, though.

The turn will be done tomorrow. Must... sleep... now...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:25:34 pm by Banzayatc »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2008, 05:00:52 pm »

updated old post. 1877 words now. only 2 story arcs and then the turn, and i will finish it.

i think i am writing a bit too much background, but i need it. i want to learn how to write long stories and keep them interesting.

i also fixed all capital letters(i hope). also, i hope you like. if not, i guess it is just an annoying wall of text.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2008, 05:55:14 pm »

Good, better. It is still a bit hard to read though; you might want to skip a line between paragraphs. It is too easy to lose one's place while reading a massive block of text like that.

Edit - In a previous grammar "fix," I killed the grammar. This fix has been fixed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:58:31 am by Nirur Torir »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2008, 07:02:19 am »

ok, i'll try.

is it interesting or boring in your opinion?

and what do you think about the part in which Urist's grandfather told Urist "Urist, you are still young, but you will a day understand that a dwarf is never too old to swing his axe and fight for his house and for his family. Now go, and save yourself or our sacrifice will be in vain."?
do you agree iwth this kind of dwarf?

it is of course much different from DF dwarf. if it was DF it would have been " dwarf is never too old to swing his axe and fight for his house and-- oh, nevermind. it is lunch time. deal with the antmen, i am gonna get a meal"
hopefully it will be fixed in next version

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2008, 07:17:34 am »

Okay, I meet Kashyyk, and follow him on his adventures.

On a side note, I hope his first adventure is to a shop: I need to buy stuff.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2008, 10:30:20 am »

*notes that probably one of the best stocked shops is right at the exit from the Mountainhome. Everyone can see it!* ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15