Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World gen suggestion  (Read 1449 times)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World gen suggestion
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:37:08 am »

Something I'd like to see is once gods actually exist in game and the magic arc is done is the world starting out as a magical land only to become colinised by the civilizations. That would make sense for DF because it sort of happens already! the megabeasts are hunted down and killed. If the gods were hunted too and their could be wars between civs and a god, than world gen would be a lot more interesting. It would also matter more when you set your end year to.

Also a completly unrealated suggestion you should be able to sift for gold in rivers.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World gen suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:58:38 am »

I thought deities already did exist in the world.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:00:21 am »

I thought deities already did exist in the world.

They does, but not physically. From what I can see, it's more of an abstract concept at the moment. (Unless I missed something)  ;)

Orange Drink

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:33:33 am »

if you or your dwarves worship a god for a long time, your god will grant you with a power of what their associated with.

it would suck if your god was the god of fish.

Adventurer: Help me Urist Fishgod! help me destroy this vile demon!
. . .
the opah slams into the demon!

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:36:56 am »

Urist McDeathGod:  I am absolute power over death.  I can make the dead rise again and serve my bidding.  None can defy my will.

Urist McFishGod:  ......

I control every Carp in this realm.

Urist McDeathGod:  Oh S#$%.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 01:37:13 am »

Careful with -that-! It might turn out to be a carp that'll turn and drag you down by the beard  ;) Would be fun to see effects similar to that though  ;D

ed: Sniped by Retro42  :P

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 10:42:59 am »

The only sensible way I see to make war with a god is to rid it of worshippers, seeing as how gods don't really have physical bodies in DF. Keeping track of how many worshippers a god has shouldn't be hard - and when the god runs out, it could be a "dead god," possibly to be resurrected again by someone being inspired by artwork dedicated to the god by a bygone worshipper or something.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:44:22 pm »

And their power should also be represented by how many people are worshipping them at any given time. Or just how many worshippers they have. a la , banjo the clown, from Order of the Stick.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 01:06:51 pm »

That starts getting into fuzzy areas of what is a god and what constitutes religion.

While I like the god's derive power from worshippers and what happens when you die is what you think will happen view for some fantasy works, I'm not sure that's what 'should' happen here.

Demigods getting powered up by belief, sure.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 04:12:25 pm »

I think that http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_future.html is an interesting read.
Some on-topic examples:

WORLD GENERATION PARAMETERS: Allow some degree of control over the world and the more sweeping aspects of play. Possibilities include control over terrain, magic, religions, random vs. stock creatures, fantasy vs. a more 'historical' (ie human) feeling. Ideally, the variability would allow you to move between standard fantasy, fairy tales, mythic fantasy and gothic fantasy, for example. If there are concepts like planes or dimensions implemented, you'd have control over that as well. You could also set the mood -- there's no reason the game needs to be violent at all, for example, assuming the rest of the game can carry it at that point. The world could be generated completely underwater or with no water at all. You could be the first or last sentient creature. There are lots of ways this could go.

PLANES: Once it's all established, you can make regions arbitrarily strange, and you make a lot of them. The real chore here is allowing multiple world maps to be active in one way or another and to allow game elements to move between them. It would be a headache to program, but it would add a lot to the game.

DEITY: Have religions in the game correspond to forces or deities and let you play one and do whatever you like, possibly restricted by your defining characteristics and geography.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 05:32:09 pm »

I can't remember the last time I saw a fantasy setting where gods weren't wish granting genies. Heaven forbid they'd be completely imaginary and just lead to thousands of years of retarded strife over which flavor of the millennium god is the real one

Real life scenario is actually more interesting when it comes to religion

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:24:44 pm »

Offensive and adds little much?

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 09:09:49 pm »

I can't remember the last time I saw a fantasy setting where gods weren't wish granting genies.

Really?  All the fantasy I've read lately has featured gods that either didn't care a whit about mortals, or were viewed as insane and so not really venerated.

From that dev log entry, how cool would it be to be able to play the first human/dwarf/elf/whatever and have gods vie for your attention.  Or become the first demigod who creates the civilization that a thousand years later you could play a regular game of DF with.

Gods should appear at your fortress like the king or other nobles, except be unkillable AND should make insane mandates!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 11:37:18 pm »

I can't remember the last time I saw a fantasy setting where gods weren't wish granting genies.

Really?  All the fantasy I've read lately has featured gods that either didn't care a whit about mortals, or were viewed as insane and so not really venerated.

How about all of Dungeons and Dragons.

Of course, no one can prove that the D&D gods do give one whit, but that clerics just sorta leech the power with some sort of permission ("oh, yeah, yeah, cleric, do my bidding and stuff.  Oh right, break some rules *see TOS* and I'll smite you...or have some other underling do it.  Now shoo."

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 09:26:47 am »

are you seriously complaining that some specific element of D&D has little to no depth and exists merely to give a power set/eq and alignment restrictions to the players?
Pages: [1] 2