Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 164

Author Topic: Blockedlance - No More Stops Until Ragnarok!  (Read 427947 times)

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Blockedlance - Grave of a Thousand Dwarves
« Reply #1110 on: October 12, 2009, 03:25:24 pm »

Moose has no need for love, not when she's seen quarcain induced horizons!

Then again, it would be nice to find a special someone to share in the experience.

Dwarf relationships are hard,  Toady needs to tweak things so it happens more often and less likely within the same immigration wave.
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #1111 on: October 12, 2009, 03:34:31 pm »

Moose has no need for love, not when she's seen quarcain induced horizons!

Then again, it would be nice to find a special someone to share in the experience.

Dwarf relationships are hard,  Toady needs to tweak things so it happens more often and less likely within the same immigration wave.
And at half-cat speed

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1112 on: October 12, 2009, 06:17:33 pm »

Smart and chaos, how can I go wrong! Also if you have a particularly chaotic role to fill even if its not a rebel just plug me cause ChAoS is awesome!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1113 on: October 12, 2009, 06:51:13 pm »

I take it that means I have no girlfriend?

The Warlord Akigagak Citylancers, the Romantic Flayer does not need a whiny tiresome girlfriend...his only love is fighting and slaughter!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways...

Heres a movie of you killing a squad of gobbos by your lonesome.  Your full kill count is shown.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1730-singlehandedslaughter

Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 12, 2009, 07:57:55 pm »

Jesus I just read the WHOLE thread in 2 nights and 1 day. I seriously believe this is better than Boatmurderd and i would like to be a part of it. So if I may could have a hammerer?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1115 on: October 13, 2009, 01:18:39 am »

You can be the hammerer as soon as I get a hammerer that isnt heathen infidel scum.  All other hammerers get put down.

Speaking of which...

So Eberdek gets sent to the tower where he swells like a balloon and lies in a puddle of his own sweat all day....then Akigagak fights off a goblin horde. 

Then it was spring 235 (again), and a couple migrants come.  Its a tax collector and a hammerer....both pagan slime.  The Queen personally showed them to their apartments...and then locked the doors behind them.

Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1116 on: October 13, 2009, 01:20:55 am »

Man...it's amazing how much faster the game runs.  Seriously....everyone who has FPS problems....set the GFPS cap to 4-6.  It totally works and it kicks ass.  There is NO fortress more screwed up and junkified than Blockedlance, and I'm getting 30-40 FPS on an 8 year old computer.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1117 on: October 13, 2009, 03:47:51 am »

The only problem I ever have with it is that fast things tend to "teleport" around the screen from moving so fast. darn it I want smooth ascii animation and goods fps! why can I not have my cake and eat it to?
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 13, 2009, 03:37:24 pm »

Epic.  EPIC!!!!!!!  Haha...I lowered it to 10 and got an FPS of 17-24.  Doesnt sound like much but its four times faster than its been running lately (6 FPS).  I lowered the GFPS to 1 and I get 40 FPS.  But GFPS 1 causes everything to act real choppy.  Like if you hit the arrow to move left, nothing happens for a second.  Then it jerks you over.  So its a little weird. I might just settle with 5-10 GFPS.

Either way....you fucking ROCK man!!!  I never knew what the GFPS did.  haha....it has more effect on FPS than temperature or caveins or whatever.

dude, I so have to do this....

my main fortress is around 13 years old and has around 160 dwarves (plus an extra 200 animals.... trying to kill them.....) and I'm trying to finish my colosium and mayan pyramid, but I'm running at ~2 fps on a good day (usually 1) and it takes me at least a week to finish 1 game year (that's letting it run for a good 6-7 hours a day 6 days a week and 12 on Saturday).

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1119 on: October 13, 2009, 03:48:50 pm »

The only problem I ever have with it is that fast things tend to "teleport" around the screen from moving so fast. darn it I want smooth ascii animation and goods fps! why can I not have my cake and eat it to?

My computer is so crappy I dont get the teleport effect until 3 GFPS.  Even then, all it does is skip dwarves one square every now and again.  Plus the response to my button pushes is a little slower.

But the game is getting 20-30 consistently, with spikes up to 40 or thereabouts every now and again.  So its worth it.  Plus, if I want to leave it and go take a shower or go for a walk, I can leave it on 1 GFPS and just let the dwarves have at it.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1120 on: October 13, 2009, 04:15:44 pm »

Dunem Trickscars, the Human Diplomat arrived back at the court of Prince Byakugan after many years of absence.  The Merchant Prince lept to his feet at the sight of his old friend.

"Ahh!  Dunem!  I had heard you were still alive, but it is much more believable when you stand before me!"

"Thank you, your majesty," said Dunem.

"Well...I know you must be exhausted from your trip...but you must satisfy my curiosity!  What are the dwarves like?" asked Byakugan eagerly.

"They are an amazing race, my lord.  Perhaps a little strange by our standards...but one must realize what they are up against."

"And what, praytell, is that?"

"Well sire....you will not believe me....but I swear I saw it with my own eyes!  A demon of fire came down the hallway at us while the caravan and I clamored to get down the stairwell.  That demon came rampaging through the fortress, burning everything and everyone in its path.  It killed many of our men.  I and a scant few others managed to make our way deep into the dwarven mine.  Only dozens of feet of good solid stone could protect a person from those beasts!  I saw but one, after the battle, I was told that four others had made their way outside the fortress, and killed several dwarves before themselves being brought down..."

"Incredible..." mumbled the Prince.

"Yes...I know it is hard to believe.  Sire...I believe the dwarves of Blockedlance have sumbled upon an old demon prison."

"Demon prison?!  Nonsense!" interrupted the Grand Vizier, who had been listening silently with a smirk on his face.  "This is starting to sound like some elf legend!"

"Silence!" commanded Pricne Byakugan.  "She will be heard!"  The prince looked back at Dunem and nodded.

"It was with elven magic that the demons of the great dark age were imprisoned.  The last of them was seen a couple centuries ago.  When the dwarves settled at Blockedlance nearly four decades ago, they unwittingly mined out one of these prisons and unleashed a horde of wrathful spirits!  Though their love for shiny blue metal brought about their plight, it was with their dwarven fortitude that they slaughtered those demons!"

"They slaughter demons?" asked the prince, astonished.

"Yes, sire!  I saw their men bring down the fire demon with my own eyes!  These dwarves are the thumb in the crack of a demonic levy.  If these dwarves should ever fall, it would only be a matter of time before a demonic host marches north to enslave and slaughter us!"

"My dear Dunem, thank you for this news!  You have proven what I suspected...we must continue to support these dwarves as best we can.  They are our greatest of friends!"

"Friends?" asked the Grand Vizier.  "Dwarves are not friends...not when they have the power to unleash demons!  I say we conquer Blockedlance ourselves, we should not leave the defense of our homeland to some other race!"

"I'm sorry, my dear adviser.  I know you seek the best for our nation, but I believe you are a bit paranoid.  Of all the races, humans and dwarves are most alike.  I know that you see them as too violent and savage...but there are those who see us Humans as quite savage as well."  The Prince eyed the elven diplomat who was attending court.  "I say...sometimes you need a savage to do the hard work.  Better them than us!  Three cheers for the great and noble dwarves of Blockedlance!"

"Huzzah!" shouted the courtiers.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:06:21 am by MrGimp »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #1121 on: October 13, 2009, 04:24:44 pm »

And the bait is set, as the trap waits patiently for the mouse which it will be devouring in it's maw of death!
I HAVE CHORTLES!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 13, 2009, 04:31:21 pm »

My computer is so crappy I dont get the teleport effect until 3 GFPS.  Even then, all it does is skip dwarves one square every now and again.  Plus the response to my button pushes is a little slower.

But the game is getting 20-30 consistently, with spikes up to 40 or thereabouts every now and again.  So its worth it.  Plus, if I want to leave it and go take a shower or go for a walk, I can leave it on 1 GFPS and just let the dwarves have at it.

*High fives*
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1123 on: October 13, 2009, 07:40:57 pm »

It does amazing things with speeding up older forts but I have more then once accidentally left the gfps low for the start of a fort and I cap my fps at 1000 so the teleporting is more, shall we say prominent.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1124 on: October 13, 2009, 11:49:05 pm »

It does amazing things with speeding up older forts but I have more then once accidentally left the gfps low for the start of a fort and I cap my fps at 1000 so the teleporting is more, shall we say prominent.

True.  On a new fort this would be overkill.  I have only vague memories left of what it is like to start a new fort.  I had forgotten DF was fast at all.  I'm used to just basically looking at a motionless picture.   :D
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 164