Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New worshop: Penal workshop  (Read 4389 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New worshop: Penal workshop
« on: August 19, 2007, 10:32:00 am »

If we introduce "hard labor" as a penalty for dwarves, there's certainly need for a special type of workshop for them. It would contain generic tools for the most menial and unskilled works. All of those things where skill don't affect quality much or where you just don't care about the quality.

Examples would be the chipping of boulders into stone blocks, producing those endless streams of bone arrows for practice, and what have you.

Because you don't want filthy criminals working in the same workshop as a legendary craftsman, would you? That just wouldn't do.

Alternatively, you could have an option to turn a workshop over to dwarven justice, just as you can do with chains and cages.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
Re: New worshop: Penal workshop
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:40:00 am »

I understand that The Manager allows you to put profiles on your workshops so that only particulal dwarves can work there. It sounds like a good idea to have something automatic, so that criminals con do some work.
A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »

Except that dwarves changed to a post can't move to the workshop...

This hard labour workshop would probably require a chain along with whatever for a normal workshop (the construction materials and 'tools' are abstracted in the form of a single block) so that the dwarf doesn't run off and get killed by the gaurds for trying to "escape" and of course, that should be possible too.
What would be really interesting with this workshop is to use the goblins /elves /humans you capture as slave labour. There could be alot of options in the orders menu and the workshop itself... Including if a military squad should sit at or mill around the workshop.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Gask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »

You could build a stone stockpile in their cell rooms and have them break rock   :) .  One more way to get rid of crappy stone refuse.
http://l052.mybrute.com Come and meet my dwarf eating bear

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>What would be really interesting with this workshop is to use the goblins /elves /humans you capture as slave labor.</STRONG>

*grins evilly*
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

We would like slaves very much, yes we would. Why have DWARVES do the labor when there are non dwarves out there ripe for the picking? We would enslave the WORLD!
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »

Why not be able to toggle any workshop to "use for justice"?
"It's unpossible!"

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:29:00 am »

Hi!

I am not so sure about this idea. The problem (and fun) we have with dwarves right now is that they do everything except for what they are supposed to do. Besides, eating, drinking, and sleeping, they are sure to prefer to collect that piece of wood an over-eager wood cutter left behind instead of moving the food from the trade depot to the stockpile before it rots. You may task as many jobs in your workshops as you like, but only the really useless ones (like making rock blocks just to get rid of the rock) are the ones that are done all the time.

So, with such criminal workshops, you would suddenly have productive dwarves - a real novelty.

I can already see what people would do: Attract as many nobles as possible and ignore all their mandates in hope of having dwarves sentenced to forced labor. And suddenly, we wouldn't have dwarf fortress but dwarf prison camp (^_^;;

Deathworks

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 06:41:00 am »

I dunno. My dwarves do what they should. They are probably inspired by what happens to the cats, and all other unproductive members of the community...   :D

I imagine forced labor would be a rather lackluster affair, with the skill close to zero and the artistic value less than zero.

In other words, it wouldn't do for furniture, trade goods, or anything where you care about the looks.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 01:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>In other words, it wouldn't do for furniture, trade goods, or anything where you care about the looks.</STRONG>

We believe that it wouldn't be that uncommon for these things to be made as low end products.

[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: Reign on your Parade ]

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 02:53:00 am »

It would be nice if we could simply designate a "jail" area (in the same way we will be able to designate traffic areas in the next version).

This area could only be walked upon by criminals and Fortress Guards (acting as jailers). Then any workshop built over that area would be used only by criminals, without quality penalty for produced goods, as, most of the time, legendary dwarves get locked in (for tantrum after masterpiece destruction).

It would not remove the need for chains however since no one in his right mind would let a tantruming dwarf loose (even inside a jail).

As a side note, as only Guards can freely walk between jail and non-jail areas, they would be responsible for feeding criminals.

[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: Istrian ]

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 05:35:00 am »

^^^^
I tried to do something like that a while back by puting some chains next to the river and telling the dwarfs to fish or nile farm so they could feed themselves, but they wouldn't do any work.

On another note, a crush rock designation that makes dwarfs with hammers destroy rocks on that tile would be very helpful.

[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 01:27:00 am »

yea but dwarves LIKE to do work!

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 02:02:00 am »

Maybe they dont use a workshop? they just get the tools and the space to work in(or their cell). the work to be done can be mandated in the justice or management screen but the quality of the stuff is shoddy, or if done by a dwarf with some skill needed to make that item it can be regular quality?

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG>I can already see what people would do: Attract as many nobles as possible and ignore all their mandates in hope of having dwarves sentenced to forced labor. And suddenly, we wouldn't have dwarf fortress but dwarf prison camp (^_^;;</STRONG>

Thats what i would try at least once..... or twice.... ok maybe every other time i play.

quote:
Originally posted by Gask:
<STRONG>You could build a stone stockpile in their cell rooms and have them break rock    :) .  One more way to get rid of crappy stone refuse.</STRONG>

love this idea.

WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Zombie Dwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

I have lots of issues with slave labor, especially when prisoners are forced into it. I'm sure you’re all aware of prison work in side U.S. borders, but for some resin I think this is the coolest idea I've heard for DF in a while! A cool way to go about making slave/prison labor camps would be to re-work the mood code so that you could assign slaves/prisoners to do anything, with the proper restraints and or a supervisor of curse. The bi-product of this could add a whole new dimension to the game. You would have to keep your slaves/prisoners happy enough so they wouldn't kill them self's or attempt an escape, or alternately have slave drivers, drive them until they die. Slave driving would be a cool skill, the slave driver's thoughts would be effected by who they where driving. The big change to the game would be in the form of REVOLUTION, as you acquired more slaves there would be a point where the slaves would get thoughts of over throwing there masters. I'm not so sure how jail riots would work but that’s also an interesting idea. That’s just my little input on the subject. I would like to hear other ideas on revolution within the game and how it would work, thanks.

[ September 08, 2007: Message edited by: Zombie Dwarf ]

[ September 08, 2007: Message edited by: Zombie Dwarf ]

ule: went insane
Pages: [1] 2