Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warcraft Lore Mod, Total Conversion  (Read 880 times)

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warcraft Lore Mod, Total Conversion
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:38:39 pm »

I have decide to try my hand at modding for DF and for my frist project, insteading of going small, I decided to attempt a Total Conversion Project.  There has been mods out based off games like Fallout and TES, but one game that game to my mind was the Warcraft series.  This game has plenty of lore and information developed over the years that will should give me plenty of stuff to add.  I plan to include a wide amount of various creatures (over 10 civs planned already with more to come), and various other things that make Warcraft Universe what it is.

Although I am fairly new to modding, I hope I will be able to turn this idea of mine into a reality, and I ask for you, the readers of this fourm, to grace me with any ideas that may come to you.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft Lore Mod, Total Conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:53:20 pm »

It's a lot of work :P

Normally just post what you got, and others will add ideas, or if you need help just ask.

If you're a newbie to modding, the token wiki pages under "modding" are your best friends. It's amazing how many tiny little tricks there are to improve the normal game.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_Token
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Entity_tokens

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:05:36 pm »

I already have have the basic, Dwarves, Humans, Night Elf (Replacing regular elves), Forest Trolls (To sevre as evil replacement for the goblins) already done. Dwarves weapons are replaced from crossbows to rifles, Trolls use throwing axes and spears guided by the blowgun skill.  But do you have to set what weapon skills they are allowed to use?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:23:33 pm »

You set what weapons can be used in the entities file, and for any races the player isn't playing the game works fine. Right now, though, you can't set soldiers to use anything other then the dwarven defaults. So, no bows, blowguns, daggers, or whips during fortress mode.

I'm pretty sure the next release will fix that, at least to some degree. In the meantime you'll have to make those types of weapons use skills that dwarves can already use.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:35:19 pm »

You set what weapons can be used in the entities file, and for any races the player isn't playing the game works fine. Right now, though, you can't set soldiers to use anything other then the dwarven defaults. So, no bows, blowguns, daggers, or whips during fortress mode.

I'm pretty sure the next release will fix that, at least to some degree. In the meantime you'll have to make those types of weapons use skills that dwarves can already use.

Well what I mean is that, currently when you start as an elf adventure, hammers are enabled as a skill to get, even though they have no hammer weapons set to them, and when you pick the hammer skill you get an iron warhammer, even though they don't use it in raws.  Also I gave them a mace weapon and although the guards equip it, you can't choose the mace weapon skill in adventure mode to start with it.

EDIT: Spoke to soon.  A reset of DF fixed everything.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:44:17 pm by RebelZhouYuWu »

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:13:50 pm »

So far everything as far as legends is going as planned.  The newly added Undead wars with everyone in their path, Night elves and Forest Trolls fight a vicous war in the forest.  Human and Orcs occasionally duke it out for cities.  Hell, I don't even know how I did it, but the forest trolls will even fight amongs themselves, which although gives a large amount of enemies, makes them balance out between the other races seeing as World Gen give them slight advantages in battle.